Search result "Jump to post" link takes me to wrong post

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
K7

#1: Post by K7 »

How to reproduce:

1. I go to a forum thread I want to search within. e.g. Levers -> "Cafelat Robot User Experience"
2. Perform a search for "pressure profile" using the "search this topic..." box. It gives me this listing of search results. Very nice! All good so far...
3. So I click on the 1st "Jump to post" link to read the 1st post in the listing in more detail. It takes me this page which does NOT contain the post I am interested in. Interestingly, the post can be found on one page older in that long thread.

I can't say it's always like this but I've experienced it numerous times as I got to use this otherwise very useful search feature recently.

Best,

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I've noticed the same thing. If I clear the browser cache before clicking the link (just the cache, not the history, cookies, etc), then the problem doesn't occur. This suggests it's a browser artifact. :?

UPDATE: To discourage the browser from using the cache, I've changed the search code to use a URL like this:
/forums/viewtopic.php?p=743689?hilit=pressure%20profile#p743689
...instead of the "friendly" URL like this:
/levers/cafelat-robot-user-experience-t54550-2760.html#p743689
That forces a browser redirect and thus ignores the browser cache. In my quick test of your steps above, the wrong post problem was avoided.
Dan Kehn

K7 (original poster)

#3: Post by K7 (original poster) »

Thanks for looking into this quickly.

Hmm, clearing the cache didn't work for me (Chromium Edge). Neither did a different browser Firefox. Maybe they share the same artifact.

It looks like the URL change you mention has not been rolled out yet because I still get the old URL in the search results. I did try manually entering the new URL and it does work i.e. takes me to the correct post.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

It's working for me, i.e., it's using the "plain" URLs in search and unread posts. I probably should apply the same change for the last post in the forum's topic list since that would likely have the same wrong post problem.
Dan Kehn

K7 (original poster)

#5: Post by K7 (original poster) »

It works now. :D

K7 (original poster)

#6: Post by K7 (original poster) »

HB wrote:I probably should apply the same change for the last post in the forum's topic list since that would likely have the same wrong post problem.
Ah, that may be it. I posted about that issue a few weeks back.