Reply without quoting

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
mwynne

#1: Post by mwynne »

First off, do move this if there's a better place for it.

I feel silly asking, but how do I reply to another post without quoting the post? I've seen others do it, and am embarrassed that I can't figure it out...
LMWDP #673

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

You can reply to a thread with the big "Post Reply" button at the top/bottom of the thread. If you want to reply to a specific person, use the quote button.
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
Jake_G
Team HB

#3: Post by Jake_G »

HB wrote:You can reply to a thread with the big "Post Reply" button at the top/bottom of the thread. If you want to reply to a specific person, use the quote button.
So, if I quote you, Dan, I get the handy little "replied to HB" and truncated quotes. At least I thought I should have... But if I quote a different person, I get this:
mwynne wrote:First off, do move this if there's a better place for it.

I feel silly asking, but how do I reply to another post without quoting the post? I've seen others do it, and am embarrassed that I can't figure it out...
I understand the difference, but I can also understand how it can be confusing to newcomers. Basically, if you quote the most recent post in its entirety, you get the "replied to" shortened version of a quote.

Sometimes. :|

Cheers!

- Jake
LMWDP #704

mwynne (original poster)

#4: Post by mwynne (original poster) »

But sometimes I get a notification about a message reply with no obviously quoted text - see attached.

LMWDP #673

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

There's two things at play here. As Jake pointed out, there's an option that skips the quoted text if the member quotes the post directly above theirs. I added this option because some members always quote, if only to reply with a one-liner like "+1". No problem if the replied-to post is short, but annoying if I have to scroll past six paragraphs to get to it. :lol: You can disable this feature in your user control panel by setting "Reduce quotes" to "All quoted text".

While I was thinking about your question and my reply, I realized it's a bit unintuitive that the quote button is on the post, but the reply button is all the way at the top/bottom of the thread. So I reworked the buttons to add a reply button, for those who want to reply but don't want to scroll.
Dan Kehn

mwynne (original poster)

#6: Post by mwynne (original poster) »

Ahhh, I didn't realize there was a different behaviour if quoting the most recent post, as opposed to any other post. Thanks for the info!
LMWDP #673

DaveB

#7: Post by DaveB »

HB wrote:So I reworked the buttons to add a reply button, for those who want to reply but don't want to scroll.
I like to scroll before replying, because I want to be sure nobody has already posted what I was thinking of posting. 8)
Von meinem iPhone gesendet