New show/hide option for poster's profile

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

From Bigger default fonts:
cafeIKE wrote:Rather than infinite scroll, I'd like to see white space reduction...
Now that you point it out, I have noticed there's a lot of long profiles and short replies that lead the white space problem above.

UPDATE 1: So I've added a user profile option "Display poster's profile information". The default is "Show less" which displays when they joined, posts, real name, and location. Selecting "Show minimum" will show just their avatar and you can click to see more. Select "Show always" if you want to see all of the posters' profile fields, all the time.

UPDATE 2: I've added a shortcut to the right 'Show always" / "Show less" and "Full profile" link to go to the poster's profile.

Dan Kehn

Advertisement
jbviau
Supporter ★

#2: Post by jbviau »

Love it--thanks!
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

cafeIKE

#3: Post by cafeIKE »

W A Y cool!

Might be an idea to 'splain in the option that Hide gives a link...

There's plenty of white space to show it... :wink:

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

Works great, thanks Dan.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

OperationalFloss

#5: Post by OperationalFloss »

This is awesome. It really makes a difference, thanks!

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

Suddenly, so much less conspicuous consumption around HB. But that's up to me ( and you and you and you)

Thanks Dan.
LMWDP #198

HB (original poster)
Admin

#7: Post by HB (original poster) »

Now that I'm used to the minimalistic look, I eliminated the "Show profile" link; instead, the poster's (name) profile link now shows their information (the ">" indicates there's more). Clicking the profile link again hides it. The actual link to the poster's profile is at the bottom of the revealed list. Hopefully I didn't break the responsive layout for mobile or visitors (I tested it and it seems OK).
Dan Kehn

Advertisement
LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#8: Post by LBIespresso »

File this one under, I didn't know the problem existed until you served up the solution.

Thanks Dan...pretty cool!
LMWDP #580

ira
Team HB

#9: Post by ira »

Might I ask for a third option? I would like to see the profile through MVP or at least through post count. I can't find a way to see the profile without clicking on their name and leaving the page I'm looking at which is very cumbersome, or am I missing something? I can see no way to show someone's profile. Optimally, I'd like as much of the profile to show as fits without increasing the length of the message.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by yakster »

In Chrome on my laptop and Android phone (in desktop mode where profiles are shown), clicking on the name stays on the page and just expands / contracts the profile information for that post.

When the profile is expanded, there's a full profile link at the bottom that will take me off the page to view the user's full profile.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272