More improved support for smartphones - Page 2

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
Louis

#11: Post by Louis »

HB wrote:The results suggest that the current web-based interface is acceptable to the majority of HB members using mobile devices.
Dan,
Note that on my iPod Touch 5G (iOS 5/Safari), it is impossible to answer the survey. Selecting an option from the menu doesn't do anything...
I don't know if others have the same issue. If so, the results may be off...

HB (original poster)
Admin

#12: Post by HB (original poster) »

Hmm-m, that's not good. There were a hundreds of votes, so hopefully it's not a widespread problem that would skew the results. But I'll look into adding a "Vote" button to avoid the problem.
Dan Kehn

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#13: Post by pizzaman383 »

HB wrote:The screenshot below is on an iPhone in landscape mode.

<image>
The square arrow button near the "next" button on the bottom right side is what I am talking about.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

HB (original poster)
Admin

#14: Post by HB (original poster) »

HB wrote:But I'll look into adding a "Vote" button to avoid the problem.
Done. Now there's a "Vote" button, so you first make a selection from the dropdown and then submit (I tested it on an iPhone).
Dan Kehn

Maxwell Mooney

#15: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

Dan- is there a possibility of adding a feature where we can upload pictures directly from our smartphones? This would be a nice feature since my only camera device is my phone anyway. Not sure about how difficult it would be to code, but it would be nice to have! :mrgreen:
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

HB (original poster)
Admin

#16: Post by HB (original poster) »

I've looked at various options (e.g., Picup and Aurigma Up); they all look rather clumsy to me. It appears Apple will finally add form upload to Safari in iOS 6:

Gizmodo wrote:One of the best features, however, is the new support for web forms uploads. To me, it has always been so frustrating not to be able to upload a photo to a web site. Now you can click on the upload button, a Photo browser will appear, and you will be able to upload.
Dan Kehn

Maxwell Mooney

#17: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

It appears Apple will finally add form upload to Safari in iOS 6:
Excellent! That fixes my problem! Not sure what other OS's experiences are like, but hopefully it will work for them as well!
"Coffee is evidence of Divine Grace, flavored coffee evidence of the Fall" -Kevin Hall

LMWDP #406

HB (original poster)
Admin

#18: Post by HB (original poster) »

It works!

Well, sort of... unlike the iOS Mail app, the upload photo button doesn't offer the chance to resize the photo prior to sending it to the website. Since an occasional photo upload hopefully won't put too much load on the server, I modified the board code to do the resize server-side, if required. The photo below was originally over 2Mb; it resized to 33 Kb.

Here's what the prompt looks like:

Dan Kehn

Maxwell Mooney

#19: Post by Maxwell Mooney »

Excellent! Thanks Dan!

LMWDP #406

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#20: Post by Peppersass »

HB wrote:Since an occasional photo upload hopefully won't put too much load on the server, I modified the board code to do the resize server-side, if required.
Does it also automatically resize when you upload via the standard Upload button (i.e., not from a smartphone?) That time-saver would be much appreciated.