Lurkers - Page 3

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
another_jim
Team HB

#21: Post by another_jim »

Fishgod wrote:I will admit it, I am a lurker.
I am a computer geek by trade. My hobbies include fly fishing, RC precision aerobatics, photography, and cooking. With all my hobbies I have found bulletin boards a great source of information and amusement. The reason that I lurk is that most of my questions can be answered by searching the boards, and watching others discuss the finer points of the hobby/passion. If I were knowledgeable enough to add to a discussion I would. I don't believe building a post count for the sake of it serves anyones best interest.
Amen to that. Lurking and reading up until one has something to contribute is the old time manners of newsgroups; which I often miss. But I hope you transition to active as you embark on your espresso adventure.
Jim Schulman

Fishgod

#22: Post by Fishgod »

Thanks for the welcome Dan and Jim,
Dan a little tidbit for your Kids "If you were to cut Alaska in half, Texas would become the third largest state."

As for my espresso adventure this will be a cosmic leap for me. I had one of the department store cheapies for a long time. Now I am looking at the Quick Mill Vetrano, plumbed in (water at least) and a Mazzer Mini. I really like the ability of pulling shots and having steam power for milk drinks for entertaining small groups of friends at the house. Otherwise a single boiler would probably do just fine for me. I like the idea of not having to refill the machine hence the plumb in, and the pump will help quite down the machine since I am an early riser. I enjoy getting up at 5:30-6:00 Am before the kids and wife get up on the weekend. Gives me couple hours to myself.
I do wish they offered the doserless in non-electronic. The reason for swaying towards the Mazzer over the Macap is from what I have read about the ability to switch from espresso grind to french press quicker (or would it be a non issue). When we fly out to the cabin I need the french press grind. Thanks guys for welcoming me in. Ahhh any good mail order roasters on the west coast that you can think of? What blend would you recommend for a new guy?
Regards
Michael

Advertisement
HB (original poster)
Admin

#23: Post by HB (original poster) »

Fishgod wrote:The reason for swaying towards the Mazzer over the Macap is from what I have read about the ability to switch from espresso grind to french press quicker (or would it be a non issue).
Physically it isn't difficult, certainly for a strong-handed Alaskan fisherman. But it does bug me to lose my espresso setting and fill the grinder with French press grind. Even if I mark the collar with the setting, it's never perfect and I frequently lose a shot or two after the switch. For awhile I borrowed a second grinder and got used to having a dedicated espresso and French press / cupping grinder. You could consider a less expensive drip / French press grinder like the Solis Maestro. Best Inexpensive Grinder? has a few other suggestions.
Fishgod wrote:Ahhh any good mail order roasters on the west coast that you can think of? What blend would you recommend for a new guy?
Regrettably I don't get regular opportunities to order from West coast roasters. Most roasters inexplicably insist on UPS Ground, which takes a good week, when USPS will ship it 2-3 days for less (in contrast, Caffe Fresco is leading the charge of value shipping). That said, I've read good things about Blue Bottle Coffee as noted in Forgiving beginner's coffees? I have them on my must-try list.
Dan Kehn

mogogear

#24: Post by mogogear »

Michael,

Greg , here- You might try Stumptown Coffee , here in Portland. Good Coffee and on your side of the lower 48.
Hair Bender gets good marks from me and many others, also Holler Mt.

If South central AK means Anchorage- have you ever made it in to the Side Street Espresso stand - 415 F st / near 4th - downtown? Good espresso , good artwork- a really good lever machine produced product.... ( I know Dan- I had to slide a "lever" pull in there.....)

Also a great member that I have had the chance to meet lives in Juneau--Peacecup- he is a Salmon research biologist...

Welcome to the Light side :wink:
greg moore

Leverwright
LMWDP #067

lerch

#25: Post by lerch »

I too have been a lurker on this forum for quite some time and am also a computer geek by trade.

I am a complete newbie to the world of coffee and espresso and have found that most of my questions have already been asked and answered on these forums. All of my lurking on this website has taken me from knowing almost nothing about coffee in general to being able to pull good shots on my Anita with some consistency. I am still a complete newbie to the world of coffee but am looking to start being an active contributing member of this community.

-Lerch

p.s. Here is a picture of my current setup:

TimEggers

#26: Post by TimEggers »

Welcome lerch, it's great to have you! I really like your setup it reminds me of something...but I just can't put my finger on it...

:wink:
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

radish_beans

#27: Post by radish_beans »

Hello - another lurker steps out of the shadows! I was a computer geek until a few months ago but packed it all in to, hopefully, open my own cafe!

Advertisement
MichaelJ

#28: Post by MichaelJ »

I've been lurking for awhile, and I've long been interested in good coffee. Finally I've taken the plunge, ordering a PID Silvia and Rocky, the arrival of which I anxiously await. I am looking forward to the journey.

Cheers,
Michael

jesawdy

#29: Post by jesawdy »

Michael-

Welcome to HB and enjoy your de-lurker status. I lurked a long time myself AND I use the same set-up (mostly). It will take some time and practice, but it is worth it.

Cut to the chase quick with the Silvia and Rocky links in the Espresso Gear FAQs and Favorites.
Jeff Sawdy

another_jim
Team HB

#30: Post by another_jim »

Welcome Lerch, and thanks for the good manners of spending some time reading up and finding the existing answers before delurking.
Jim Schulman