Last read post incorrect

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

A couple members have reported the "last post read" is returning too far back in the thread's history. To help diagnose the problem, I've reset the "last read" status for all members (essentially the same as selecting "mark read" from the index page). I apologize for the inconvenience this might cause.
Dan Kehn

Hudson

#2: Post by Hudson »

Thanks, I had been experiencing this issue as well.
LMWDP #534

HB (original poster)
Admin

#3: Post by HB (original poster) »

I believe the problem is fixed now.
Dan Kehn

HB (original poster)
Admin

#4: Post by HB (original poster) »

Now I'm not so sure it's fixed. To clarify the scenario, the link for an unread thread should look something like this:
www.home-barista.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=22185&view=unread#unread
When you click on the link, it should redirect to the first unread post in that thread. For example:
www.home-barista.com/coffees/what-is-wow-ing-you-t22185-650.html#p491314
The "p491314" is the post number stored in the database. If working correctly, the page should automatically scroll down to the first read post. The unread posts are indicated by a yellow sticky:

The sticky is otherwise plain white if it's read. Testing through various threads, sometimes the correct page/post is shown, other times not. I haven't figured out the distinction between the works and does-not-work. The bug appears to be related to the number of posts in the thread and the position of the first unread post, e.g., if the first unread post is the last in the thread, all is well. If the first unread post is on the first page of a two page thread, the post number (like p491314 above) is sometimes correct, other times it's the first post in the thread (?).

If members happen to notice a pattern that would help diagnose the problem, please let me know. In the meantime, I'll try to figure it out on my end.
Dan Kehn

JR_Germantown

#5: Post by JR_Germantown »

I think I'm seeing a similar issue on some other phpBB forums.

Jack

HB (original poster)
Admin

#6: Post by HB (original poster) »

I added a workaround that helps avoid most of the cases, but doesn't appear to address the core problem. I read a few similar reports on phpBB, but no definitive resolution.

I'll keep tinkering around and taking notes of failures and see if a pattern emerges. For example, I saw it in a thread with 27 posts, of which the last two were unread; the unread link opened the first page rather than the third. Same for a thread with 11 posts with the last post unread; the unread link opened on the first page rather than the second. Same for thread with 15 posts, last unread. A thread with 39 posts with only the last post unread worked as expected, i.e., the fourth page was displayed and auto-scrolled to the bottom.
Dan Kehn

johnny4lsu

#7: Post by johnny4lsu »

It's happening to me most of the time.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#8: Post by HB (original poster) »

That's irritating. Since I haven't been able to reproduce the failure on demand, I haven't reported it as a bug to phpbb.com. I don't think this is a recent change in behavior; apparently the OP finally got irritated enough to report it. :lol: Since I typically use the "mark all read" link when I'm done, I would have had far less opportunities to see this particular bug.

For what it's worth, I've noticed that when I do see the problem, the "unread" marks are present and correct on the subsequent pages. So it appears to be a problem with the wrong page number being displayed. Why it would work sometimes and not other times, that's what I haven't figured out (yet).
Dan Kehn

johnny4lsu

#9: Post by johnny4lsu »

Dan, not sure if it helps or not, but I'm experiencing it everytime on my phone. If I receive an email notification and click the link it'll bring me to the previous page most often.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#10: Post by HB (original poster) »

Thanks for the update, I had not noticed that since I don't use e-mail notifications (too many). I'm noodling on strategies to narrow down the problem.
JR_Germantown wrote:I think I'm seeing a similar issue on some other phpBB forums.
That was indeed my assumption. But this board is heavily modified, so there's always the chance I inadvertently introduced the problem. The lack of any bug reports on phpBB suggests it's my doing. :|
Dan Kehn