Improved support for smartphones

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
HB
Admin

#1: Post by HB »

As part of improving the site's accessibility for mobile devices, I have tweaked the navigation / layout. Try it for a few days, then let me know what you think. Feedback from those with smartphones is especially welcome.

Dan Kehn

drgary
Team HB

#2: Post by drgary »

Dan,

Thanks for this effort. One thing seems to be missing, which is the link to easily find and view threads one has participated in. Am I just missing this and it's somewhere obvious?

Thanks,
Gary
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

jasonmolinari

#3: Post by jasonmolinari »

I like it, but there is a big thing missing for me....the quick links to the major forum groups "Tips & Techniques * Espresso Machines * Grinders ....etc." at the top of the page below the "home, reviews, how-tos ...."

when reading on my ipad i have to press "forums" then scroll to find the next group...instead of having a quick select like the full version of the site has.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#4: Post by HB (original poster) »

drgary wrote:One thing seems to be missing, which is the link to easily find and view threads one has participated in.
That's the so-called "ego search". I rarely used the link since the icon indicates what threads you've participated in by the asterisk (below). If I really want to search out my posts, I use the standard search, e.g. my recent posts. But there's room, so I squeezed in "your posts" next to the view recent posts/recent topics. Indicator that I posted to this thread is an "asterisk" in the icon.
jasonmolinari wrote:when reading on my ipad i have to press "forums" then scroll to find the next group...instead of having a quick select like the full version of the site has.
On my phone, those links are too small to be useful. I added them back to the mobile layout to see what others think.
Dan Kehn

jasonmolinari

#5: Post by jasonmolinari »

Cool! I like them. on my Iphone4 they're small, but usable, especially in landscape mode, and i'm sure they'll be perfect on the ipad.

thanks!

SlowRain

#6: Post by SlowRain »

Thank you very much. I really appreciate websites that take phones into account and develop a mobile version.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#7: Post by HB (original poster) »

Another small change that may not be obvious, but is quite handy...

I like to bop back and forth between a specific forum and the main forum page (index). To make that an easier navigation on mobile devices, the images on the masthead have different links. The "HOME-BARISTA.COM" image will go the homepage, the logo will go directly to the forums:

I've trimmed some [excess] verbiage around the various navigation links to make it easier to move around. Tip: Double-tap to zoom makes it easier to read threads since it will auto-zoom to show the post content, cutting off the poster profile on the right. Double-tapping again will unzoom.

If you're a regular visitor, try adding the HB link to your iPhone home screen (browse with Safari, tap "+", and then tap "Add to Home Screen"):

To save a click, I linked recent posts.
Dan Kehn

yakster
Supporter ♡

#8: Post by yakster »

Dan,

Thanks for the mobile enhancements. I've been using the Droid phone more and more instead of booting up a computer and the changes make a difference.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

drgary
Team HB

#9: Post by drgary »

HB wrote:If you're a regular visitor, try adding the HB link to your iPhone home screen (browse with Safari, tap "+", and then tap "Add to Home Screen"):

<image>

To save a click, I linked recent posts.
Pretty slick!
:D

Gary
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

darrensandford

#10: Post by darrensandford »

Hi,
Just a minor thing, but I thought I should mention it.

I noticed that the subtext under the post title in the forum topic list is missing a space after the poster's name. For example:
by HBon Mon May 03, 2010 4:29 pm
EDIT: Forgot to mention the version of Firefox - 3.6.12:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.0; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.12) Gecko/20101026 Firefox/3.6.12 ( .NET CLR 3.5.30729; .NET4.0E)