Improved support for smartphones - Page 2

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
HB (original poster)
Admin

#11: Post by HB (original poster) »

darrensandford wrote:I noticed that the subtext under the post title in the forum topic list is missing a space after the poster's name.
Oops! Thanks for the report, I've corrected it.
Dan Kehn

Sherman

#12: Post by Sherman »

Any thought of support for Tapatalk?
Your dog wants espresso.
LMWDP #288

tekomino

#13: Post by tekomino »

Latest updated to style (last 2-3 days) made experience on iPad worse. You should target mobile style to iPhone only since iPad has much more real-estate.

jasonmolinari

#14: Post by jasonmolinari »

I agree with Tekimono. On the ipad the font is now giant with no ability to zoom out. Have to hold the ipad at arm's length to read

tekomino

#15: Post by tekomino »

jasonmolinari wrote:On the ipad the font is now giant with no ability to zoom out.
I had to wall mount my iPad and stand back 6 feet to be able to read giant fonts. :mrgreen:

HB (original poster)
Admin

#16: Post by HB (original poster) »

Sherman wrote:Any thought of support for Tapatalk?
No, for reasons I explained in Does HB.com have a handheld form-factor, e.g. for iPhone? If my tweaks to the standard template aren't good enough, there are mobile templates for phpBB3 out there.
jasonmolinari wrote:On the ipad the font is now giant with no ability to zoom out. Have to hold the ipad at arm's length to read
Would you post the user agent string? Click here and post the result. For me, the iPhone shows:
iPhone4 wrote:Browser is Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7
Based on what I read online, the initial keyword will be 'iPad'. I added a check that ignores the iPad as a mobile device under the assumption that its resolution is good enough.
Dan Kehn

tekomino

#17: Post by tekomino »

Dan, you need to get an iPad :wink:

iPad user agent:

Mozilla/5.0 (iPad; U; CPU OS 3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/531.21.10 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Mobile/7B334b Safari/531.21.10

HB (original poster)
Admin

#18: Post by HB (original poster) »

Good, that's the agent string I expected. The check should ignore it as a mobile device now. There are fancier checks that could take into consideration its higher-than-normal resolution, but given what I've seen of it in the Apple store, it really doesn't need scaled down access to this site.
Dan Kehn

jasonmolinari

#19: Post by jasonmolinari »

tekomino wrote:I had to wall mount my iPad and stand back 6 feet to be able to read giant fonts. :mrgreen:
Haha...did you use a 6' long cheese stick or slim jim to control the ipad?

jasonmolinari

#20: Post by jasonmolinari »

HB wrote:Good, that's the agent string I expected. The check should ignore it as a mobile device now. There are fancier checks that could take into consideration its higher-than-normal resolution, but given what I've seen of it in the Apple store, it really doesn't need scaled down access to this site.
Nope, it doesn't. It's big enough to work well using native display options

thank you.