Image cropped

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
jpender

#1: Post by jpender »

I uploaded a png file and noticed later that the bottom 10-20 lines of pixels had been erased, white washed. I thought I'd made a mistake so I uploaded it again and it seemed fine but after a while it was again erased on the bottom.

The uploaded file was 891x543 originally, resized automatically to 800x488. When I then saved that photo a little bit more was erased off of the bottom.

I don't understand what's happening. Should I avoid png files? Or should I resize an image to particular dimensions prior to uploading?

Here's the file, which displays normally, right now at least:

And this is the original one that I uploaded previously that is now cropped:

EDIT;
I logged out, cleared my cache, and now the original looks fine again.
I would think it's my browser but its cache gets cleared regularly.
And that doesn't explain why it was cropped in the first place.

Weird.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

I've seen that bug before, but cannot reproduce it on demand. If it's the same problem, the last pixels are transparent, not cropped. I believe it's caused by the auto-resize code OR possibly an optimization by CloudFlare triggering a transient problem. If you resize to max 800 pixels in both dimensions before upload, the auto-resize code isn't invoked. That may help avoid the bug.
Dan Kehn

jpender (original poster)

#3: Post by jpender (original poster) »

The pixels were indeed transparent.
I'll size my images to 800 in the future.

Thanks.

Almico

#4: Post by Almico »

Chert wrote:I agree, I like the Full size option. Can one reliably size the Artisan window in such a way that none of the .png file is cut off when loaded to HB? or does one have to use an image editing program to verify 800 max dimension prior to uploading to HB?
I convert png files to jpgs before loading to HB and posting. My png files have a habit of not showing up at all. :?

MaKoMo

#5: Post by MaKoMo »

Almico wrote:I convert png files to jpgs before loading to HB and posting. My png files have a habit of not showering my up at all. :?
HB has a problem with PNGs that include transparencies. This should be fixed.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Split from Artisan Getting Started Guide - Collaboration Welcome with this example:

Notice the bottom is cropped. I haven't been able to reproduce the problem, but I've guessed at possible fixes. In the meantime, resizing images before upload will avoid the problem (max 1200 pixels width or height).
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Looking over images posted recently, I'm seeing ones with the bottom cropped. :? I've updated the version of the uploader in hopes that will correct the problem. Below are a few really large uploaded images as tests.

Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

Another test of upload... originally 1920x1280 resized to 1200x800 on upload.

Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Another large JPG resized on upload.

Dan Kehn

bachampion
Sponsor

#10: Post by bachampion »

6000 x 3000

4000x2000

2000x1000