Ignore Topics

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
cafeIKE

#1: Post by cafeIKE »

A little over 14 years ago I requested a way to ignore a thread : Ignore This Thread

For the most part the Unread Pro weeds out forums of no interest.

BUT some topics in which I have ZERO INTEREST go on for a very long time. After a while, it gets annoying to filter through them every day.

I admit I'm old school, but how can a topic go on for two years about a grinder. I've got a Niche Zero. Case closed.
Ditto for a particular model of an espresso machine. I expect my machines to outlive me.
Ditto "Hello from ..."

To reduce processing overhead it might be well to have a 3 day grace before Ignore Topic is enabled. Possibly a limit of 25? 50? 100? Ignored topics and when the limit it reached, FIFO?

Thoughts?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

cafeIKE wrote:BUT some topics in which I have ZERO INTEREST go on for a very long time.
You could set unread pro's "maximum time" or "maximum posts". Of course, if there's long running threads you actually want to follow, that won't help.
Dan Kehn

cafeIKE (original poster)

#3: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

Yes, I'd considered those options, but some interesting threads would be masked. I may not post in them, but enjoy reading.

Threads that want masking are ones like "Hands on experience with the Eagle One Prima" with more than two posts per day average for the past 6 months on a machine in which I have less than zero interest.

Ditto 99% of basket, tamper, latte art... threads

Approaching 30k shots, and being in the process of unloading a few machines and grinders, too much noise acts as an incentive to move on...

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

Thanks you! I've asked for something to solve this also. I tried Unread Pro, but it's like using buckshot to try and take a head shot in a crowd from a distance. It's going to go badly no matter what you do. No clue what the answer might be, not sure blocking 1000 threads will help. Partly I'm afraid it's us, in the beginning I read every thread, at least till they got uninteresting, now I read maybe 5%, but they're spread randomly across most of the forums.

Ira

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

It was ira's offline suggestion that inspired Unread Pro; I thought it was a great idea! I'm not sure many members share my enthusiasm. I don't use it all the time, mostly when I get behind and don't want to do "mark all read".
Dan Kehn

cafeIKE (original poster)

#6: Post by cafeIKE (original poster) »

I use UnRead Pro, but I'm not sure if it's Half Fast or :?:

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Another approach is using the max filters that I suggested before, but they'd be ignored if you're subscribed to a specific thread. That would allow you to ignore megathreads in general but follow others.
Dan Kehn

happycat

#8: Post by happycat »

Skip messages (not topics) for anyone less than 2 years around might help. Or adjustable scale.

Or turn the issue on its head, and might also be interesting to have a headsup feature for consistently constructive members participating in a thread. A conversation might be worth ignoring until a silverback chimes in.

Or headsup based on topics. e.g. I try to restrict product comments to anything I own. A filter based on that might be interesting.

Dunno. Just some brain spewing.
LMWDP #603