How about a Like button with emoji choices? - Page 3

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#21: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Them's fighting words! :mrgreen: :shock: :idea:

(Yosemite Sam copyright Looney Tunes / Warner Brothers)
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Boldjava

#22: Post by Boldjava »

Most active and divided thread on HB today! <Emoticon and emoji omitted as an opinion>.
-----
LMWDP #339

Advertisement
HB
Admin

#23: Post by HB »

drgary wrote:I don't want to clutter the thread with adding a post to indicate [Applause]. And having Likes to show appreciated content is different than ranked Helpful posts.
To clarify, I believe that you're referring to some sort of "reaction" choice. I've seen that on some forums and they are displayed below the post along with who/how many have reacted to it (e.g., like, agree, disagree, applaud, etc).

I took a look at the phpBB mod list and there's Topic/Post Reactions, Thanks, Like. It's still in development, but I installed it on a test server. It adds a fair amount of storage overhead to the database and could impact performance. I wasn't able to get it working correctly, either because (a) it's still in development, or more likely (b) one of the modifications I've made is incompatible with it.

I admit preferring the "keep it simple" approach to emojis/emoticons, since it seems to encourage more serious-minded exchanges. I don't spend a lot of time on social media, but from what I've observed, a lot of "contributors" are really just posting quips and silly reactions; that's not the sort of exchanges I want to encourage here.
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

drgary (original poster)
Team HB

#24: Post by drgary (original poster) »

Dan,

Thanks for thinking it through. This shows that communicating in text and images can never entirely replicate live interactions, including a crowd giving a standing ovation to a star performer. Yes, I suppose I could link a video image of an ovation, and that wouldn't be something many would do to routinely clutter threads.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!