Generic 520 errors

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
mwynne

#1: Post by mwynne »

Not quite sure where to post this, but I've been getting 520 server errors on an off all day (something I've never come across here yet). I think I saw an announcement about some server updates within the last few days - not sure if this is related or not, and it's not a huge issue for me, but thought it may be useful to report.

Also happy to send any details/diagnostics from my end if that's of use.
LMWDP #673

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Hmm-m. I changed servers over the weekend and the performance seems good most of the time. While I haven't seen any Cloudflare 520 errors, I have noticed occasional hiccups where a page will take 2-3 seconds instead of a more zippy half second. I'll look into the logs and try some performance tuning.
Dan Kehn

mwynne (original poster)

#3: Post by mwynne (original poster) »

Whoops, I didn't scroll down far enough past the pinned posts!

Again, not a major issue at all, just reporting since feedback was requested.

Thanks so much Dan
LMWDP #673

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

No worries! The new servers are the most recent Linux/database versions; that's good from a support and security viewpoint, but it usually means that version-specific performance tuning will be required. I've already applied some tweaks that hopefully will reduce/eliminate the timeouts you saw.
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

I've tuned the servers a bit and now they seem pretty zippy. :D Let me know if you continue to see Cloudflare errors.
Dan Kehn

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by Nunas »

I've suddenly started getting these error messages frequently. The message I get looks like this:

I don't get them with any other browsing, just on H-B. Usually, I log into H-B without trouble, but during each session, as I click on posts I want to read, this error comes up about 10-20% of the time. I've reported to Dan, who asked if it happens at night (I don't know as mostly I'm on in the morning and afternoon). I said I log in fine, but wouldn't you know it, when I went to sign in to H-B to post this I got the error message! When the message comes up, if I hit the browser refresh (reload) icon, the post I want to see comes up. Anyone else seeing this lately?

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Cloudflare is a content delivery network that HB uses to improve performance and avoid denial of service attacks. The error you're seeing is Cloudflare saying it tried to connect to the HB servers ("host") and the connection was refused. Unfortunately, there's no diagnosis information on my end; I just looked and the server logs are clean.

For what it's worth, once the server updates were completed and I applied some performance tweaks, for me, the site has been faster than it was before and I haven't seen any 520 (timeout) or 521 (connection failure) errors from Cloudflare. At this point, I don't know if this is an isolated problem or not, hence why I asked you to post about it. :?
Dan Kehn

mwynne (original poster)

#8: Post by mwynne (original poster) »

Monday/Tuesday this week I was getting quite a few 521 errors as well. Every time I'd just refresh the page and it would load up fine on the second go.
LMWDP #673

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

Hmm-m, you're both from Canada. Hard to imagine that'd make a difference, but aye, who knows? :lol: I'll try tweaking the connections-related parameters for the server so it's more tolerant of surges.
Dan Kehn

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#10: Post by Nunas »

Dan, I think you've fixed the problem. Not one error message this morning. Cheers, Maurice
Edit: just clicked on about twenty posts. I got the error message twice.