Forum etiquette and cross-posting - Page 4

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.

Do you support this site's cross-posting policy?

Yes
51%
No
43%
Don't care
5%

Total votes: 76

HB
Admin

#31: Post by HB »

Nate42 wrote:But I can see the appeal of a person with a problem wanting to get as many good answers as possible. I also think that posting similar questions on multiple forums is a great way to gauge which community you'd rather be a part of.
In my opinion, most cross-posters aren't searching for more diverse opinions or consensus, they simply want an answer to their question quickly with minimal effort (while not about cross-posting, the poster in What to do about newbie noise embodies this same motivation). By directing their question to as many people as possible, they hope to reduce their wait time, even if it wastes the time of others. On the other hand, if a cross-poster posted to one site and then posted a summary of the responses on a second site to gather more opinions, they'd get better answers and "raise the discussion level" for all participants. But that rarely happens.
Dan Kehn

BuckleyT

#32: Post by BuckleyT »

Dear Dan,
The term 'support' is ambiguous and misleading as it concerns my participation. I have not yet voted.
I support the current policy in that I take care not to cross post or to cross post important information that I put out on other site(s) a while ago, not recent, but still relevant (you edited my only example of this not long ago).
I do not support the policy in that I do not agree with it, since there are new members and, likely, auditors (aka 'lurkers') who seem to frequent this site only and who give evidence that they do not generalize in their coffee surfing.
Buckley

Intrepid510

#33: Post by Intrepid510 »

The most common types of cross posts are buying advice, and problems with a machine. Thankfully most of those questions have been answered, and if someone is too damn lazy to hit search or really can't figure it out then one post should be enough. Just choose wisely. ;)

Perhaps cross posting BST would be okay tho?