Email topic notifications lack actual post content

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
rccoleman
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by rccoleman »

The email notification that I get when someone replies to a topic is quite long, including the a link to the topic, the post, how to unsubscribe, etc., but doesn't actually contain any content from the new post. This was typical of most forum email notifications many years ago, but all other forums that I regularly visit now include part or all of the new reply in the notification so you can see what was said and whether it's necessary to revisit the thread.

Any possibility of getting the post content added to the email notification? Or an existing option that I'm missing?

This is the giant, content-free reply that I currently get for a notification :)
Hello rccoleman,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic "La
Marzocco Linea Mini Automated Backflushing" at "Home-Barista.com". This
topic has received a reply by boldstep since your last visit. No more
notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:

/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=64565&e=1&view=unread#unread

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=64565

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
/forums/viewforum.php?f=63

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the
"Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by
clicking the following link:

/forums/viewtopic.php?uid=12713&f=63&t=64565&unwatch=topic

--
Thanks, Home-Barista.com

kenyabob

#2: Post by kenyabob »

I just always assumed the system can't do this.

I would love to see this as a feature!

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

That's not built into phpBB, but I can look into adding it.
Dan Kehn

rccoleman
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by rccoleman »

Thanks, Dan!

Incidentally, I see a post from 12 years ago about adding this to phbb:

https://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=709655

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

rccoleman wrote:Any possibility of getting the post content added to the email notification?
I've added the message content to the emailed topic reply. I haven't tested it thoroughly, so let me know if something is off.
rccoleman wrote:Incidentally, I see a post from 12 years ago about adding this to phpbb..
Thanks for the tip. That mod no longer works, but it did lead me to one that does (prime notify). I already had similar code as that extension and it gave me some tips to completing it. :D
Dan Kehn

rccoleman
Supporter ♡

#6: Post by rccoleman »

I got the content in the notification email for this response, so I'll consider it a success! Thanks so much!

rccoleman
Supporter ♡

#7: Post by rccoleman »

It looks like this is no longer working properly. The post content used to be in between the lines, and now it's blank.

=============================

=============================

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

I'll take a look. Keep in mind that some posters accidentally post a quote with no reply by mistake and moderators remove them as duplicates, but you'll still get a notification (i.e., for a post that's already been removed).
Dan Kehn

rccoleman
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by rccoleman »

Weird. This one came through with the content intact after two separate replies in another thread had the blank content that I mentioned. Both of those replies are still in the thread - they were Peter's and Jake's responses here, if it helps: Simple Profiling on a La Marzocco GS/3 AV