Distinguishing between single dose and non-single dose grinders?

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
RikC

#1: Post by RikC »

Hey, I'm currently looking for a new espresso grinder and am orienting myself on this forum, and some others.

What strikes me is that recently single dosing grinders have become very popular to discuss. However, sd grinders are also typically something that your fond of, or not. It's quite a different procedure when making you morning cup of coffee.

And yes, sometimes I use my comandante + red clixx to also make some single dosing espresso.

But just like that age-old distinction between semi-automatic pump machines and lever machines that you see on many forums and here on HB as well, might it be a good idea to distinguish between sd and non-sd grinders such as od grinders and dosers? Now the grinder section is quite flooded with topics on sd grinders limiting discussion on good non-sd grinders imho.

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

To clarify, are you proposing dedicated forums for different types of grinders (single dose vs. others)?
Dan Kehn

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

What makes a single dose grinder specifically that only? Or what makes a grinder unsuitable for single dosing? I used a Mazzer Kony for years as a single dose grinder. It certainly was not designed for that by Mazzer and it took some simple mods to improve its function for SD. Certainly there are better grinders for that, but still, it worked for SD.
Espresso! My Espresso! - http://www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
LMWDP #644

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

As you noted, it's fair to say that there's dosing grinders out there that can single dose quite well, but the opposite isn't true. For example, I used timer-based dosing grinders when I catered and they dramatically speed prep time (the La Marzocco Swift Mini is an even faster prep time reducer). It'd be much slower to serve a large crowd using a single dose grinder like the Monolith.

Back to what I think the OP is suggesting, as a matter of site convention, we try to keep the number of forums down so there's more "crossover" conversations. From what I've observed on other sites, if you have many dedicated sub-forums, members will migrate towards their preferred one or two sub-forums and basically ignore the rest of the site.
Dan Kehn

RikC

#5: Post by RikC »

Ah, indeed that was my suggestion. Dedicated sub-forums. But I get the argument about wanting to have crossover discussions.

A single dosing grinder in my opinion indeed is a grinder that is not made to be used on demand.

Or a topic about it can be on how a on demand grinder can be adjusted for single dosing.