“Dark Mode” & Traditional Emoticons Request

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
cccpu

#1: Post by cccpu »

Would HB be able to incorporate a "Reddit Like" Dark Mode Theme to prevent screen blinding for late night/early morning users?

Also, would it be possible to allow the use of traditional IOS emoticons for a broader range of "visual" communication and flair?

That's all!
LMWDP #583
★ Helpful

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

I'd love a Dark Mode option for every website too.

Graveyard/Night-shifter here myself.

Spitz.me

#3: Post by Spitz.me »

I agree! I use dark mode almost as often as is available. More emoticons can be cool, but I rarely use them anyway. Whether that's a product of the limited selection, I don't know.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

I will look into it, but from past experience, I've found that changing the site layout/color scheme isn't as easy as just updating some style sheets, if you want the end result to look professional. If you would like to see what it looks like and are willing to accept some odd color choices, try a plug-in (e.g., Dark Reader for Firefox).

Spitz.me wrote:More emoticons can be cool, but I rarely use them anyway. Whether that's a product of the limited selection, I don't know.
Maybe it's an attempt to instill a sense of "seriousness", but this site intentionally has a limited set of emoticons. In my experience, excessive emoticons encourage a more chatty discussion. :lol:
Dan Kehn

Spitz.me

#5: Post by Spitz.me »

I get it, Dan. This might have been the case back in the good old days of the internet. Now, however, we're mostly accustomed to using messages online to communicate so I don't think something as simple as limiting the number of emoticons available does anything other than mildly frustrate someone because the "eye roll" might be too aggressive and they had something better in mind. :lol:

I don't think more emoticons matter, but I do think that this board could benefit from a bit more flair and personality. We have so many different personalities and characters on here that something that can really help personalize a message can make for more engaging discussion.

Also, thanks for the head's up on a plugin that could help. I found a Chrome plugin and it's fine - it sucks, but it's fine and I can live with it in a pinch if my eyes are burning while the monitor screams at me.
I know I've pulled a great shot when the flavour is 'like a beany taste that tastes like a bean'.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

It turns out there's an existing phpBB extension for "dark mode". With some minor modifications, I installed it. It's a simple filter, so some of the colors are a bit iffy looking, but it's tolerable. Look for the "moon" icon above. ^^
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

cccpu

#7: Post by cccpu »

Dan,
One thing I noticed when activating it on Google Chrome on my PC was the filter causing the text to appear more fuzzy or blurry than before, possible text aliasing being affected by the filter?

It does not appear to be nearly as noticeable (if at all) on Firefox and seems to be a non-issue on my phone (Safari).

Was not expecting such a swift implementation, thank you very much :Thumbs Up: :wink:
LMWDP #583

sems

#8: Post by sems »

On mobile it's lovely, thank you Dan!

HB
Admin

#9: Post by HB »

cccpu wrote:One thing I noticed when activating it on Google Chrome on my PC was the filter causing the text to appear more fuzzy or blurry than before, possible text aliasing being affected by the filter?
I think you're right. It's a simple color inversion, which probably doesn't play well with the subtle shading of anti-aliasing. Doing it right would require creating a site-specific dark mode style sheet, not programmatically manipulating a "light mode" style sheet as this mod does. That's also why there's some really oversaturated highlight colors.
Dan Kehn

cccpu

#10: Post by cccpu »

HB wrote:Doing it right would require creating a site-specific dark mode style sheet, not programmatically manipulating a "light mode" style sheet as this mod does.
Still, for how fast the current solution was added and how well it works out of the box for most systems, it's a very nice stand-in until (if) you ever need to do a more programmed solution.
LMWDP #583