Article Feedback: The Mind and Machines of Verna Design

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
lino

#1: Post by lino »

The craze about "bottomless portafilters" sent hobbyists digging through their tool box for something capable of making the necessary modification. Many settle on a hole saw, but I thought that I could do it more elegantly with my shop's precision milling machine.

What started as a favor for a few friends has gotten out of control! This article offers you a glimpse into my workshop, including a custom-made E61 espresso machine and the fabrication of finely-crafted bottomless portafilters.

Read more...

srobinson

#2: Post by srobinson »

Great article and wonderful workmanship. One Question: Where can you get one?
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

lino (original poster)

#3: Post by lino (original poster) »

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the compliments.

There are two places you can get one.
First try http://www.chriscoffee.com if he's got the model you need, that's probably the easiest route (and also the cheapest, I believe).

If Chris doesn't sell a bottomless to fit your machine, the other option is me.
I can modify a portafilter that you supply for $25 including shipping. I should also warn you that thru me is also the slower of the two options.

Contact me offline if you are interested in having me do one for you.
lino@vernadesign.com

ciao

lino

srobinson

#4: Post by srobinson »

Thanks. I looked over at Chris' site and did not see one to fit the Pavoni...so let me see if I can get one ordered and get back with you. Let me know if you think you have one that would fit. Pavoni's are a bit small with the 49mm basket.

Thanks.
Steve
Steve Robinson

LMWDP #001

TimEggers

#5: Post by TimEggers »

Lino,

I hate to dig such and old topic out of the cob webs but I had to comment publicly about your fine portafilters. My second bottomless portafilter (first non-homemade) was a Rancilio cut by you. Sadly I didn't realize how good I had it so I sold it and had one of my generic e61 portafilters cut by someone else. Yes it was done well and I was very satisfied with it but it just didn't have the fit, finish and attention to details that your portafilter has.

Your portafilter modification exhibits high quality and expert craftsmanship and stands an example of what a bottomless portafilter should be.

I have since ordered yet another Rancilio handle from Chris Coffee and should be arriving tomorrow. Thank you for producing such a well-done product and partnering with such a class act as Chris Coffee (an HB supporter). I recommend your portafilters to anyone reading this; they are a piece of modern functional espresso art and an essential tool in any home or pro barista's espresso setup.

Well done, sir. First rate. Thank you!
Tim Eggers

LMWDP #202

lino (original poster)

#6: Post by lino (original poster) »

:oops: Gosh, I'm blushing...

Really though, thanks for the compliments.

You know, one could argue that many of us take "this coffee thing" a little to extremes (my wife sure thinks so). It's not a big step to take that to a modification of the PF. We like our coffee stuff to look and feel nice, and be a pleasure to use. No reason a bottomless PF shouldn't fit that model too. I do the best I can to make that happen, and I'm VERY glad to hear that people appreciate it...

thanks again!

ciao

lino

lennoncs

#7: Post by lennoncs »

It is nice to see real craftsmanship rise above the vast sea of mediocrity that exists out there.

I also own one of Lino's PFs and it is a very nice piece indeed.

Sean
Sean Lennon
Davisburg Mi.

LMWDP #086