Article Feedback: Buyer's Guide to the Vibiemme Domobar Super

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
cannonfodder
Team HB

#1: Post by cannonfodder »

In the world of home espresso machines, few features are more prominently recognizable than the E61 grouphead. The market has been flooded with such a variety of machines designed around the E61 group that choosing one has almost become a flip of the coin. Your choices are dominated by similar shiny stainless steel boxes, 1.5 liter boilers and 2 liter water reservoirs. Finding a machine that stands out among the sea of stainless steel isn't easy.

1st-Line hopes its new offering, the Vibiemme Domobar Super, will differentiate itself from its peers in the market's E61-based machines. It sports features like:
  • Original E61 grouphead (more on that later),
  • Stainless or black powder coat housing,
  • Semi-automatic and electronic (automatic) volumetric dosing,
  • Three position power switch,
  • 2.7 liter boiler and a huge 3.8 liter water reservoir.
An impressive list of options, but are they enough to make the Vibiemme stand out in the crowd? More importantly, does it make good espresso and meet the demanding expectations of the discerning home barista? This review will poke, prod, measure, and taste in pursuit of answers to these questions.

Read more...

Image courtesy of 1st-Line
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
cannonfodder (original poster)
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

I have recently gotten a couple of reports from some Domobar Super owners of water making its way under the drip tray. I have not noticed it on my unit but to cover all the bases and present an objective review I decided to try to replicate the issue.

This evening I ran the daylights out of my unit trying to replicate the same issue but could not. I started by pulling 10 double espressos (simulated by using a ScaceII) including the cooling flushes which were dumped directly into the drip tray. Not counting the 10 shots which were dumped into the sink the drip tray was half full of water. The only water under my drip tray was one drop that probably fell from the 3 way as I removed the drip tray.

So I decided to do a very extensive backflush. That is about the messiest thing you can do on an espresso machine. The continued high pressure backflushing, portafilter wiggling, high pressure rinsing, excessive flushing. Again, the drip tray was over half full and the machine speckled with water drops from the high pressure flushes but still only one drop of water under the drip tray under the 3 way, which again probably fell from the drip tray cover after I removed the tray.

The only way I have been able to replicate water under the drip tray is by putting the drip tray cover on backwards. There is a front and back to the drip tray cover. The back of the cover has a small cutout which allows it to sit flush with the back of the machine. If that cover is on backwards, cutout in the front of the machine, the drip tray cover will not seat against the back of the machine. If that is not seated against the back of the machine, the drip tray will not seat against the back of the machine either. That will leave a 1/16 inch gap between the back of the drip tray and machine. That could allow water to get between the two parts.
Dave Stephens

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

cannonfodder wrote:I have recently gotten a couple of reports from some Domobar Super owners of water making its way under the drip tray. I have not noticed it on my unit but to cover all the bases and present an objective review I decided to try to replicate the issue.
It is most likely caused by a combination of factors:
- The user clears the steam wand into the drip tray
- There is water in the drip ray
- Because the drip tray is not secured and has low friction on the base, vibrations from brewing can cause a slight gap between the back of the tray and the backsplash during use.
In my experience, the amount of stray H2O is slight. I get more water under the machine when, first thing in the morning (before coffee), I attempt to refill the reservoir without removing it from the machine.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Randy G. wrote: In my experience, the amount of stray H2O is slight. I get more water under the machine when, first thing in the morning (before coffee), I attempt to refill the reservoir without removing it from the machine.
A thought, the VBM has a small gap between the bottom of the face of the machine and the bottom of the frame. You can see a small gap in the photos above. If you refill the water reservoir and spill a little water I could run down the frame and under that small gap leaving you with a puddle under the drip tray.

I will pay particular attention to the issue and see if I have an issue with it and try to narrow it down to a cause.
Dave Stephens

jeffg

#5: Post by jeffg »

my tidbits (keep in mind I'm still a noobie):

for me i have it set to just over 1 on the boiler and right at 9bar with blind pf. Anything other than that i tend to get side channeling and gushers. I also added the grouphead thermometer, i bought the kit for it at chriscoffee. I don't think i could manage without that thermometer and without it my temps would never be consistent. Maybe some folks have a knack for targeting the temp without the aid of a thermometer but I don't see how! The machine is built like a tank, loving it :)

Jonas

#6: Post by Jonas »

I think there might be some issues with the design of the drip tray cover on the Domobar Super.

The mesh is only held in place by 10-12 spot weldings, so in fact it's the weldings that has all the strain of the cups (I admit, its not a hefty weight, but...), and then there's also the factor that the cover is a bit flexible.

On my first drip tray cover a section of the spot welds had broken away in the right corner at the back. I quickly received a replacement (good service), but now I have discovered that on this one, there's already two weldings broken, in the middle at the front and at the back. One welding was broken from the start.

I don't know, if the problem on both covers was present from the start; I have only had the machine for 2 months, and each drip tray cover 1 month. But I'm concerned that in time more weldings might break away, so the strain again is harder on the rest, and in the end the mesh falls off.

Have anyone else had this problem/concern?
Jonas

Team HB

#7: Post by cannonfodder (original poster) »

Sorry to hear about the problem. The drip tray cover is easily bent, especially if you happen to grab hold of it while moving the machine. It is not designed to be a load holding structure, other than a 10 ounce cup. I did not have any issues with the welds on my unit but I did think the expanded steel top is a little too fine. It tends to hold water, something I documented in the bench.
Dave Stephens

Advertisement
Jonas

#8: Post by Jonas »

I have the rotary direct connect model, so I don't move the machine around a lot. And I also only place cups and occasionally the filterholder on the cover. Maybe I have just been unlucky with these 2 drip tray covers.

I can't remember where, but I read that another one also have had the same problem. I have tried to find the post again, but in vain.

But then again, this is really my only big (small) concern with the VBM.
Jonas

Hellfire

#9: Post by Hellfire »

From what I've read it seems that without mods this machine can not be used effectively. For the amount this machine is costing I'm kinda disappointed.

HB
Admin

#10: Post by HB »

Hellfire wrote:From what I've read it seems that without mods this machine can not be used effectively.
I adjusted the pump pressure on arrival and added some rubber stripping to reduce noise - a common problem with vibratory pump espresso machines. The Vibiemme worked very effectively for me. In fact, it outscored my home setup for the last few years, La Valentina (review).
Dan Kehn