Advertising On Top of H-B Content

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
Nunas
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by Nunas »

Recently, pop-up advertising has been appearing on top of the H-B content. If I click on a thread, a white box appears containing the ad. This box has to be closed to proceed further, as it obliterates the content. While I understand the need for and support advertising on the site, I do not support this. Is anyone else experiencing this, or have I inadvertently changed a setting somewhere? I have not activated my adblocker app on this site, as we've been asked not to, but if this continues, then I will do so. Such intrusive advertising has suddenly become commonplace on many websites. Maybe it's just me, but I find this extremely intrusive form of advertising offensive.

ira
Team HB

#2: Post by ira »

Well, I've never seen such a thing on any web sites, is it possible you installed something that's doing this?

Ira

Nate42

#3: Post by Nate42 »

I got one of these today too. I run a pretty clean machine, don't think its anything on my end. Its not every time, only happened once.

jbviau
Supporter ★

#4: Post by jbviau »

^^^ Same. Happened to me once on my iPhone (using Safari) earlier today, and then never again.
"It's not anecdotal evidence, it's artisanal data." -Matt Yglesias

Auctor

#5: Post by Auctor »

Same. Happened on my iPad.

Chert

#6: Post by Chert »

+1. Targeted it was, a publication not associated with coffee.
LMWDP #198

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Nunas wrote:If I click on a thread, a white box appears containing the ad. This box has to be closed to proceed further, as it obliterates the content.
What you describe sounds like Google's "auto ads" or a rogue advertiser. I tried them for a day, hated them, and they're [supposed to be] disabled. I just double-checked and they're off. If it happens again, please send a screenshot to me so I can look into it.
Nunas wrote:While I understand the need for and support advertising on the site, I do not support this.
Neither do I. It's a safe bet that if you find the ads annoying, you'll either ignore them or install an ad blocker. I control the sponsor ads directly, but Google decides how to display its ads with "hints" from the site owner. That said, if Google's ads don't behave despite my efforts, you can always change ads to "Sponsor only" in your user profile.
Dan Kehn

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

Ah, nevermind, I found the cause... Google "helpfully" enabled vignette ads today as an optimization experiment. I agree, those are really annoying! They're now disabled.
Dan Kehn
★ Helpful

Spitz.me

#9: Post by Spitz.me »

Thanks for being on top of this. They were really experience breaking - the forums basically started to feel like a mobile game that runs an ad for you to allow you to "play for free."
LMWDP #670