Ads?

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
curmudgeon

#1: Post by curmudgeon »

I've had ads disabled for some time. As I was browsing today, I noticed some ads beginning to show up between the posts in several threads. I double checked, and I still have ads disabled in my profile settings.

All things being equal, I'd prefer to browse without ads, but I get that they help support the site. Has something changed?

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

You can disable all ads in your profile by selecting No for "Allow Ads". Keep in mind that (a) I've tried to keep the ads reasonable and (b) sponsors make this site possible (they're listed on the Resources page under Commerce).
Dan Kehn

LBIespresso
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by LBIespresso »

When I first started using this site I looked forward to hitting that threshold where I would be allowed to turn off ads.

Funny thing is that in the time it took me to get there I had gained so much from the collective wisdom/experience of everyone here that I decided I would choose not to disable ads. We all have different thresholds for annoying things, and I made my choice, but I would encourage others to make the same if they can. Just a suggestion without any judgement on my part.
LMWDP #580

ira
Team HB

#4: Post by ira »

I have no for allow ads and they started showing up last week in spite of that.

Ira

robin416

#5: Post by robin416 »

All I ask is the ads not be flash, like the one in the header bar, it drives my eyes nuts.

HB
Admin

#6: Post by HB »

Thanks for the feedback, it's good food for thought.
LBIespresso wrote:I decided I would choose not to disable ads... I would encourage others to make the same if they can.
To make that choice a little easier, I've modified the options to Allow/Sponsors only/None. The new "Sponsors only" option allows members to show their appreciation to the businesses who directly support the site as noted on the Resources page while opting out of "general" ads.
Dan Kehn

sweaner

#7: Post by sweaner »

We should all allow all ads to support Dan and HB. The ads are truly not annoying at all.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Andy

#8: Post by Andy »

+1
I do not find the HB ads intrusive. And I appreciate the businesses that support this site.