Ads on HB overwhelming iPhone

Offer your ideas on how to improve the site or report problems.
cpreston
Supporter ♡

#1: Post by cpreston »

A few days ago on my iPhone 5SE, HB began to be almost covered over by huge sliding ads, with a new one appearing each time I change the page. I don't see them on the iPad or desktop. The site is now very annoying to use on my phone, so I have given up on it there. Here are a couple of screenshots... Do others see this?

RockyIII
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by RockyIII »

Charles,

On my iPhone 7 Plus with Safari, I see small ads at the bottom of the screen, but nothing like what you have. Have you tried clearing the cache?

Rocky

cpreston (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#3: Post by cpreston (original poster) »

Thanks for the suggestion. It helped a lot, in that the ads no longer auto-extend to cover the screen, but on my phone they are still very intrusive. Perhaps it's because of some code in the site that scales things poorly for small phone screens, as my 5SE is quite a bit smaller than a 7. In any case, I do not have problems with the other sites I use.

Here is what it looks like now, below. Still an oversize banner plus a damned tab sticking up from the ads, and I find myself getting irritated whenever I use the site. I will stop using it on the phone. I have no problem with ads on the phone in general... just here.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

cpreston wrote:...I find myself getting irritated whenever I use the site. I will stop using it on the phone.
I can take a look at it, maybe disable it automatically for small screens. But in the meantime, if it's really bothering you, select no for "Allow ads" in your profile.
Dan Kehn

cpreston (original poster)
Supporter ♡

#5: Post by cpreston (original poster) »

Thanks, Dan!

DanSF

#6: Post by DanSF »

I have not experienced any similar problems with HB ads on my small-screened iPhone SE.

rccoleman

#7: Post by rccoleman »

Re: Ads coming from the bottom of the screen are really annoying

The ads on this site, specifically the ones that anchor to the bottom of the screen when viewed on a mobile device, are making it very difficult to browse the forums. They start by covering much of the screen, they regularly move to cover an even larger portion of the screen in response to swipes, and seemingly can't be dismissed. They're pushing me to find a mobile ad blocker to get rid of them, or simply push to other sites.

This is what my iPhone screen looks like while browsing these forums, with the ad periodically popping up and covering half of the screen.

I really hope that you'll look into finding a less intrusive way to pay the bills. I really do like the community and discussion here, but these ads are user-hostile. I'm having trouble even previewing this post because that stupid ad keeps popping up and covering the content.

HB
Admin

#8: Post by HB »

I'm not able to reproduce this problem, but since there's several reports, I've disabled that ad feature.
Dan Kehn

rccoleman

#9: Post by rccoleman »

Thanks, Dan!

Headala

#10: Post by Headala »

Dan, I appreciate you disabling them. I was also experiencing the "sliding ads" issue and whenever I tied to scroll down I would frequently accidentally slide the ad up with no way to dismiss it other than closing the tab. This was on mobile Chrome on iPhone 7. Thanks!