Whole Latte Love Video Updates

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
WholeLatteLove
Sponsor

#1: Post by WholeLatteLove »

Our dedicated video team has been hard at work generating content about all sorts of exciting new espresso equipment, and we thought it would be fun and helpful to keep everyone in the loop.

We'll be using this thread to post updates about new videos we have on YouTube. We'd love to hear what everyone thinks!
Ben Coleman
Whole Latte Love

WholeLatteLove (original poster)
Sponsor

#2: Post by WholeLatteLove (original poster) »

Rocket Appartamento TCA Performance Testing Results

The Rocket Appartamento TCA is an update to the original version of this heat exchanger espresso machine. It uses a PID for more precise control of brewing temperatures and has an updated E61 brew group for an even more aesthetically stunning exterior.

Our in-house expert Marc has been playing with the new Rocket Espresso Appartamento TCA, and we have the results of his rigorous performance testing-his comprehensive review discusses the revisioned E61 group head, the addition of the PID controller to the Appartamento, and more.

The Appartamento TCA's PID controller allows for four different temperature settings. In temperature testing, the "low" setting produced an average temp of 196.7°F; the "medium" setting averaged 200°F; "high" was an average of 203°F; and "very high" topped off at an average of 208°F.

The results of his steam testing were fairly impressive. Even at the low temperature setting, it steamed a pitcher of fridge-temp milk to 140°F in 24 seconds. At the "very high" setting, it did the same task in 18 seconds.

At all temperature settings, the steam pressure was sufficient to create a good vortex in the pitcher.

This may partially be a result of the newly-designed steam tip, which features two holes closer together than in previous models. They're also angled inwards, as opposed to outwards, which helps to produce a consistent roil.

For an even more in-depth dive into the all-new Rocket Appartamento TCA, check out the full video:
If you've got one of these machines, we'd love to know what you think!
Ben Coleman
Whole Latte Love

Sponsor

#3: Post by WholeLatteLove (original poster) »

Profitec Drive Performance Testing Results

A few months ago, our video team got their hands on the Profitec Drive, the newest evolution of Profitec's top-of-the-line espresso machine, the Pro 700. Considering that the Pro 700 was one of the best-reviewed espresso machines of all time (with an average customer rating of 5 stars), one might wonder: why upgrade the machine at all?

After putting the Drive through our rigorous battery of performance tests, however, we decided there's a LOT to love about this new machine.

It comes stocked with all sorts of new features designed to streamline your daily brewing process: it features active and passive pre-infusion, quick steam valves, programmable on and off times, a plain-language OLED display for the PID, and a quick-heating mode that achieves brew temperatures in 11-13 minutes.

For an in-depth review of everything the Profitec Drive can do, including the results of our performance testing, check out the video on our YouTube page.
As always, we'd love to hear your thoughts! Have you used the Drive? Does your experience line up with our own? Let us know!
Ben Coleman
Whole Latte Love

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Good review video! Just a few comments:
  1. For the quick heat test, did Marc preheat the temperature-measuring portafilter? I ask because it has a lot of mass and likely shifts the temperature lower. When I do preheat tests, I measure the "passive heating" time and compare it against other machines. That doesn't yield an absolute time, but a good relative one.
  2. Heating the milk to 140°F? I prefer my cappuccinos on the cool side, but even that is too low for me. I generally target 155°F for most drinkers and a little hotter for those who insist on scorching hot lattes. :?
  3. It was a pleasant surprise to see a "no burn" brush. Inexplicably, most espresso machines come with a brush that will channel hot water directly onto your hand if the group is dispensing water (don't ask me how I know :lol:).
By the way, the display update is a welcome change! I agree with Marc, it's a lot easier to read than the cryptic codes from a digit-based display.
Dan Kehn

Sponsor

#5: Post by WholeLatteLove (original poster) »

Thanks Dan!

I checked in with Marc on your questions and here are his answers:

1. For normal temperature testing, he follows SCA Standard 350-2021 A.3.2 as closely as possible, which specifies "the portafilter containing the thermometer shall be inserted into the group during the warm-up period." He allows the machine to warm up for one hour before testing.

For the fast heat test, however, he had the TPD device in the group from power-on and did the flush prior to testing through the TPD. He briefly removed the TPD to dump retained water and then ran the test immediately.

2. He recognizes that 140F might be cool for some, however he is again following SCA standards here (in this case 350-2021 A.3.4) which states "steaming shall continue until the temperature reaches 60C" (140F). He maintains this throughout all machine testing just to have comparable numbers.

3. He likes the brush, but says that, of course, his favorite group brush is the Urnex Scoops, which has a little spoon for measuring the Cafiza on it.
Ben Coleman
Whole Latte Love

Sponsor

#6: Post by WholeLatteLove (original poster) »

As promised, we've got our full video review of the all-new Gaggia Espresso Evolution ready for your viewing pleasure.

Our in-house expert Marc explores all of the features and benefits of this affordable yet somewhat surprising machine.

Check it out!
Ben Coleman
Whole Latte Love