Whole Latte Love Exclusive: Flow Control...The Next-Level Upgrade to the Pro 700. - Page 11

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
WholeLatteLove (original poster)
Sponsor

#101: Post by WholeLatteLove (original poster) »

In regards to increasing the maximum flow rate when full open. There area few things you can do. Keep in mind that at the same time you are increasing the maximum flow rate your are also increasing the minim flow rate.

You can increase the pump pressure up until the OPV in the machine opens and starts to divert water into the drip tray. This will be between 10 and 11 bar. If you want you can also tighten down the OPV to raise the pressure more but you should not have to do that.

Feel Free to private message me and I'll get you my mobile number and we can discuss on the phone.
Ben Coleman
Whole Latte Love

Prairiedawg

#102: Post by Prairiedawg replying to WholeLatteLove »

I can see why that happens with the degree of rotation with the handle. I think it should be set just as you showed in the video. I don't think its necessary to raise the pressure. especially if you just have to lower it back down again. I'll just wait until the new handles show up. It just means there's a slower ramp up, which there are a bunch of threads here saying that's preferable.

As for the handle, is there a design picked out yet? I can see a minor flaw in the process. The existing design protrudes above the cup tray which has to be slid forward to access the water tank. The handle and shaft is/will get scratched and worn and the tray will have to be rested on top of it when filling the tank. It's unrealistic to remove the tray completely when weighed down with espresso and cappuccino cups, nor remove all the cups when wanting to refill.
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

elbertfunkleberg

#103: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

Prairiedawg wrote:As for the handle, is there a design picked out yet? I can see a minor flaw in the process. The existing design protrudes above the cup tray which has to be slid forward to access the water tank. The handle and shaft is/will get scratched and worn and the tray will have to be rested on top of it when filling the tank. It's unrealistic to remove the tray completely when weighed down with espresso and cappuccino cups, nor remove all the cups when wanting to refill.
Even the valve spindle protrudes above the cup tray so you're going to have to compromise if you want to have this feature on your machine. In my case the machine is under a kitchen cabinet so access to the water tank is not an option and is why I plumbed it in. It's great that I never have to think about filling the tank but I also have an increased risk of a water leak in the kitchen. There's both pros and cons no matter what you do.

Bluenoser

#104: Post by Bluenoser »

Nice add-on for an E61, but I hope it is a short term solution.

On an HX (Pro 500), there is no way to know what the brew water is doing unless you have a thermometer on the group. This add-on negates that option unless you get a 'splitter' and that gets ugly. I think even on the DB designs it would be better to have a group thermometer as it is the only way to really know when the group has heated up sufficiently to start pulling shots.

The 'real' solution is to use the existing pressure gauge and have its sensor in the group to better measure the extraction pressure and to have a temperature sensor near the screen that displays on the PID.

Profitec/ECM needs to look into additional/better sensor data that is totally integrated into future designs.

Yukonista

#105: Post by Yukonista »

This is just fantastic! I e-mailed WLL last fall about the possibility of doing exactly this, and the reply from them was friendly albeit a bit cagey.. must have been in the works.
Thanks WLL. Going to order mine soon.

speedplay

#106: Post by speedplay »

Prairiedawg wrote:looks to be about 8ml/s. I measured 244 ml in 30 seconds with the valve fully unscrewed at 2 full turns. I assume one doesn't need to go that far to reach full flow
John, Thanks.
You do not happen to know what the max flow rate of your machine was before installing the flow rate kit?
I think it would be helpful to know, to establish a baseline before modding, to understand better what the effect of the flow rate kit has on the max flow rate of the machine being modded.

It would be interesting to then compare shots before and after the kit installation. Everything the same, but after installing the kit pull shots with the valve open all the way to the right as far as it will normally go (fully open and flowing at a rate of 6 ml/s- as reported by you). And then comparing these to the shots you pulled on your machine before the kit installation.

Also, would be interesting to install the group head pressure gauge only and pull some shots and record what the gauge reads in comparison to the machine's brew pressure gauge. The group head gauge is measuring closer to the puck than the machine's brew pressure gauge so it would be interesting to see what it would read when pulling shots before installing the flow rate valve kit.

Maybe someone that is yet to get their kit will tackle this too so that we can understand better the effect of the kit. Just remember to install the gauge only first.

For example on my Alex Duetto the max flow rate with pump set to 9 bar is 12.3 ml/s and since my machine is plumbed in I can do line-level PI too and on my machine set to a line level with a regulator set to 2 bar I get 6.4 ml/s. So at line-level I get a flow similar to what the flow is when the kit is installedn on your Pro700 but at only 2 bar pressure.

So again, hopefully someone will try to collect this info or maybe you will re-install the standard valve (the procedure is so easy) and give this a try yourself.

Prairiedawg

#107: Post by Prairiedawg »

Don't know
"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?"

vizia

#108: Post by vizia »

Bluenoser wrote:Nice add-on for an E61, but I hope it is a short term solution.

On an HX (Pro 500), there is no way to know what the brew water is doing unless you have a thermometer on the group. This add-on negates that option unless you get a 'splitter' and that gets ugly. I think even on the DB designs it would be better to have a group thermometer as it is the only way to really know when the group has heated up sufficiently to start pulling shots.

The 'real' solution is to use the existing pressure gauge and have its sensor in the group to better measure the extraction pressure and to have a temperature sensor near the screen that displays on the PID.

Profitec/ECM needs to look into additional/better sensor data that is totally integrated into future designs.
I have an ECM Mechanika Profi (no PID) and have Eric's thermometer installed. I do agree with you about compromising the flow rate upgrade for grouphead temperature. I guess that's one of the reasons they're offering it to the DB machines first.

I'd use a splitter in favor of having this upgrade when I do find one and don't mind it getting slightly ugly.

mallen4248

#109: Post by mallen4248 »

Well mine got here a day early! I boxed up and returned the 600 and installed the 700 FC. It appears that this is a stock 700 that had a new flow control mushroom installed before shipping to me, as the original mushroom was in the accessory box. I only pulled 2 shots, the first one a throw away to season and the 2nd for my wife's Latte. She noticed a difference! I had already had my allotment of caffeine for the day before it got here and will have to wait till tomorrow. I did play with the profiling by starting a ~2 bar preinfusion for 8 secs at lowest setting and slowly ramped up to full pressure at ~8-9 bar and then down again to finish at 30 Sec. The shots seem to blond a lot later and have a lot more Crema. Again I'm pretty new at this and would love for some of the more experience members to start a thread on profiling tips. As much as I liked the 600, the 700 is much nicer, more powerful and quieter with the added benefit of pressure profiling. I'm glad the new 700 FC came out before my 600's return window closed.

Profitec 700 FC and Ceado E37S QSG
In vino veritas.... and caffeine helps the next morning....

95viper

#110: Post by 95viper »

Very cool