What Size of Bags of Coffee Are Best For You? - Page 3

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
jpender

#21: Post by jpender »

e-chappy wrote:My wife has indulged me with many other purchases I've made. I'm afraid that a roaster might be one of the few to which she says no.
It's a different topic but: Start small and simple and cheap, something like a popcorn popper you can use outside with an extension cord.

Bag size seems all over the place.

What if the price per unit weight were the same for small bags and large? Would people still rather buy one 5lb bag versus 10 8oz bags? What if mayonnaise came in a 5 gallon bucket and was cheaper that way?

BodieZoffa

#22: Post by BodieZoffa replying to jpender »

I found 5 lbs to be totally fine as I'd vacuum pack/deep freeze in pint wide mouth Mason jars and thaw/use as needed. These days I'm roasting to consume around 2 lbs. weekly (espresso only) and can only laugh at the pathetic 8-12 oz bags...

jpender

#23: Post by jpender »

Two pounds each week!

Maybe this bag size thing is kind of liking asking a mouse and an elephant what the ideal plate size is.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#24: Post by yakster »

I go through a minimum of a pound a week and roast every two weeks so if I were buying roasted coffee a 2 pound bag would work for me, but I'd probably buy a smaller bag to try from an unknown roaster.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

AnotherADDiction

#25: Post by AnotherADDiction »

Why is this even such a big issue? How much more money is it for the dealer (yes, dealer) to offer multiple sizes?

I would think that the customer satisfaction will outweigh the cost.

jackrabbitcoffee (original poster)
Sponsor

#26: Post by jackrabbitcoffee (original poster) »

One of the reasons it matters to us is that we have pre-printed bags and there are minimum quantities when you order. For example, we have a large quantity of 12 oz on hand now and it's a substantial investment. That's probably the biggest thing is that with some of our bag suppliers they want at least 3,000 of one size and then if you hardly sell that size it's hardly worth it.

AnotherADDiction

#27: Post by AnotherADDiction »

Thanks for the explanation. I had no idea, and that made me realize what needs to go into having various sizes.

It makes my size decisions much less painful. Thanks

Happymonday

#28: Post by Happymonday »

250g or 1kg works well for me. I like to try a lot of different coffees, so I don't want a big bag unless I know it's great.

Dr Strangelove

#29: Post by Dr Strangelove »

At some point a standard seemed to be a 16 oz / 1Lb / four hundred and something gram bag.
Then i noticed the grams going down and the price was the same.
Then the price went up.
Then the grams went down and the price went up.

So that's fun.

I typically get 1 kilo bags so there is something to work with, and hopefully a better play on the price game.

tellicherry

#30: Post by tellicherry »

Hi,

I'm a fan of 16 - 12oz. The trend toward 10oz (and sub 10oz!) bags is a problem of shrinkflation. Especially when measurement units on packaging are changed such that a former 12oz bag becomes a 300g bag. I get that specialty coffee prices are rising but hiding price increases in shrinking bags of beans makes me walk as a customer.

I value the quality provided by roasters like Jackrabbit!

Cory