Versalab M4 - Page 4

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
AssafL

#31: Post by AssafL » Apr 27, 2019, 5:57 am

Detail of the internal cap. I disconnected from mains before - but could not feel the burr past the cap. Maybe smaller hands can - maybe not.

In any case I wouldn't want to put my fingers between a rotating spindle and a static shroud. Doesn't tickle me as a wise thing to do.

Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

Mesmer

#32: Post by Mesmer » Apr 27, 2019, 7:04 am

I know, maybe it was a bit exaggerated, but just adding a small funnel on top of this opening would solve a lot of issues like popcorning, easy feeding, etc.

AssafL

#33: Post by AssafL » Apr 27, 2019, 10:16 am

The hopper/doser that Versalab offers does have a funnel.

I have my own anti-popcorning lid so I don't know if their funnel fits the polycarbonate lib. I assume it would though... but I'd check with John or Laura.

gophish
Sponsor

#34: Post by gophish » Apr 27, 2019, 11:52 am

Mesmer wrote:I know, maybe it was a bit exaggerated, but just adding a small funnel on top of this opening would solve a lot of issues like popcorning, easy feeding, etc.

<image>
The video I posted earlier was with a prototype lid that was not fully closed. Your image shows the lid the stops popcorning completely. Here is a video I just recorded a few minutes ago showing that in action.
Versalab

gophish
Sponsor

#35: Post by gophish » May 19, 2019, 4:50 pm

As a follow up to my initial review in this post: Versalab M4 and here: http://www.meticulist.net/blog/versalab ... first-look I'm struggling to find anything I would change at this point. I pulled this shot yesterday:
Using Mountain Air Roasting Ethiopia Nansebo (washed)
17.9g : 55.8g in 18g VST Basket
TDS: 7.79%
EY: 24.91%
Grinder: Versalab M4
Machine: ECM Technika IV Profi, plumbed at 2.5 bar line pressure and 8 bar full pump pressure.

I'm not one to chase numbers, and I generally only pull out the refractometer on the weekends if I have some time and a coffee is tasting particularly great, as this one did. I particularly enjoy the fact that this grinder doesn't require the use of: RDT, a funnel, transferring the dose, grooming, WDT, etc.
Versalab

mivanitsky
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by mivanitsky » May 19, 2019, 5:12 pm

Looks outstanding to me! So happy to see that these grinders are now perfect OOB. This is truly a remarkable time to be single dosing for espresso. Many great choices, and of course this is the only single dosing grinder with DRM burr design, which yields a flavor profile different from flat and conical grinders.

gophish
Sponsor

#37: Post by gophish » Jun 04, 2019, 11:43 pm

After using the M4 for daily use over the last three months with a variety of coffees, most lighter roasted single origins, my final thoughts and additional findings are posted here:

http://www.meticulist.net/versalab-m4-s ... der-review

It is very much a follow up to the initial review also posted in this thread and linked here: http://www.meticulist.net/blog/versalab ... first-look

I'm posting this here because I'm now labeled as a "vendor" per the discussion in this thread: Vendor participation in the forums. What about their friends, insiders, promoters, and influencers? which is a different discussion, which regardless of your opinion on that topic, I maintain that the findings and opinions in all of these linked posts are my own, completely independent, and I have disclosed my relationship with Versalab and provided transparency throughout all of these posts.

And to summarize those findings and opinions: simply put, the M4 is a complete game changer in my opinion.
It's the only single dosing grinder that doesn't require any additional tools or steps (RDT, funnels, transfer of dose, WDT, grooming, etc.) to pull perfectly even shots with any coffee. It has the ability to be hopper fed through volumetric dosing, fully capable of any commercial environment, even with two different beans. It is extremely well built and aligned with superb manufacturing tolerances. And if high extraction yields are your thing, yeah it's capable of those too.
At the end of the day, the M4 feels like it hits a sweet spot for:
  • home-friendly footprint with very little mess
    attractive design
    zero retention
    single dosing
    simple workflow (the most simple?)
    shot profile and mouthfeel that has the depth or thickness of a big conical
    with the ability to hit 25% EY's of a big flat
I'm just not sure what else you could really ask or hope for. For me, it doesn't have any shortcomings, and I haven't been able to find anything I would want a grinder to do differently.

Unless there's a next wave or breakthrough in technology that unlocks further extraction or some other secret we haven't figured out quite yet, I'm finding the M4 might just be single dosing grinder perfection.

Please let me know if you have any questions or would like any clarification on anything. Thanks!
Versalab

EricC

#38: Post by EricC » Jun 19, 2019, 3:41 pm

Just thought that i would chip in here.
I have had one of the early Versalab M3's for approximately 10 years now and have retrofitted the majority of the upgrades that have been available over that time.
I have now been running the dual belt conversion along with the upper funnel cover for a month or so.
The difference that the new small pulley along with the dual belt conversion is astounding.
You can now fully load the grinder with beans of even the lightest roast and there will be no slippage or stalling at all, and this is without pouring the beans in once the grinder is running.
As for the upper funnel cover, it is perfect, both functionally and stylishly at least to my eyes.
I can pre load the grinder with beans, close the cover and then switch the grinder to grind the beans and continue doing something else only returning once it has finished grinding.
A great pair of upgrades, well worth every penny.

AssafL

#39: Post by AssafL » replying to EricC » Jun 20, 2019, 6:16 pm

Thanks for your review of the VL upgrade. Does it end up looking like an M4?

EricC

#40: Post by EricC » Jun 21, 2019, 2:36 am

Thank you Assaf,

To my eyes, yes, here are some pictures of my hybrid Versalab M3/4