Versalab M4 - Page 3

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
thirdshifter

Postby thirdshifter » Apr 11, 2019, 1:49 am

Nice! I sent off my M3 to John for the upgrade on Monday. Looking forward to testing it vs. my MC3.

roblumba

Postby roblumba » Apr 15, 2019, 4:09 pm

I'm getting an upgrade kit for my Versalab M3 soon. I'll also post some experience feedback on here after I install it. Of course, if I have any issues, I'll be communicating to John first to give him due chance to respond to any issues! :)

John Li

Postby John Li » Apr 17, 2019, 6:25 am

In my opinion, the popcorning and the belt sliding are the very down sides of Versalab M3, I use it for three months, every time to use the grinder, these two "defects" made me disappointed. I have to pick up coffee beans from the floor if I do not use my hand to cover the upper funnel while grinding, and I have to pour the coffee bean slowly. Other grinder no need to worry this matter, they have time to prepare other pre-brewing procedures etc.
Regarding the new funnel cover, I would say the Versalab treat it as optional accessory is wrong, moreover, the design of this transparent cover is too simple, no aesthetic sense to match the design of the grinder. Remember, it is a 3,000 US dollar grinder ! Not a cheap one !
Versalab has a responsibility to upgrade the belt sliding problem for the customer, actually it is not upgrade, it is a remedy.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Apr 17, 2019, 9:52 am

A 3-month old grinder should not have the belt slip. Should take at least a year or more likely 2 or more years.

Why don't you call VL for support?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

gophish
Sponsor

Postby gophish » Apr 24, 2019, 11:33 pm

I have posted a First-Look Review of the Versalab M4 here: http://www.meticulist.net/blog/versalab ... first-look

Please comment here or on the post if you have any questions.

*I apologize in advance for redirecting with a link, my intention is not to direct traffic away from HB or to my site, but more so from the standpoint that it's just a lot easier to do a big post like with embedded content outside of the forums.
Versalab

Mesmer

Postby Mesmer » Apr 25, 2019, 4:36 pm

Still amazed how there isn't a proper bean feeder for this grinder.
I thought I was going to see some stripped fingers in the last video.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Apr 25, 2019, 6:54 pm

There is an optional hopper and doser. I've used it for years and it worked great. Stopped when I got into roasting and tasting samples.

gophish
Sponsor

Postby gophish » Apr 26, 2019, 5:00 pm

Mesmer wrote:Still amazed how there isn't a proper bean feeder for this grinder.
I thought I was going to see some stripped fingers in the last video.

Asking for curiosity, why is that surprising? As Assaf said this is actually the only single dose specific grinder that has that option, the others in this tier don't. I'd be curious to learn more about why you say that.
Versalab

Mesmer

Postby Mesmer » Apr 27, 2019, 5:15 am

What i meant is that it's a grinder where in stock form you could stick your hands in the grinding chamber while it's running.
All other single dose grinders that i can think of have some kind of lid.

In your video i presume you were trying to fix the popcorning with your hand.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Apr 27, 2019, 5:45 am

There is a sort of a cap inside that may prevent fingers from entering the burrs. I don't know. Been using it forever and never shredded my fingers. I don't intend to stick my fingers in there, and if I did want to my guess the meat grinder and meat slicer would be my preferred MO.

BTW - having cleaned quite a few grinders, if you really wanted to you could feed a finger or two into the grind chamber. Many have a warning against using the grinder without a hopper. So when single dosed - well, you get the drift.

Manual grinders should be safer. For one many are long and narrow. So the fingers don't reach. Also, if you do get the fingers in, I assume most people will stop turning the lever on account of the pain.

I hope I don't sound too cynical but I also don't think a DC motor running at 90- 130VDC at up to 3-5amps instantaneous current can ever be made "safe". It does not matter what is attached to it and how many micro switches are arranged around it. I wouldn't let my kid use any electric grinder. Nor the espresso machine. But he does try to use the Kinu but gives up after two rotations.