Versalab M4 - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
EricC
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by EricC »

Good afternoon John.
Dp you have a pricing yet for the dual belt conversion for the earlier M3 grinder?
Regards
Eric

AssafL

#12: Post by AssafL »

ira wrote:I'm confused, what is the point of the video? It's a grinder, I expect it to grind beans, I'd expect it would grind a pound if I kept adding it 30 grams at a time.
I think the video is to demonstratrate a coffee that would, given the older M3 drivetrain (especially Circa 2010-2013 models) would result in belt slips and stalls.

The reason Black Cat was chosen was that some users that had said models ran into said issues with Black Cat.

Seems to me that this update, along with the incremental updates (like the precision interfence fit bearings) solve most of the issues some of the older M3 users had issues with.
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

happycat

#13: Post by happycat »

versalab wrote:We seem to have upset people without meaning to.

We announced the lid and its price for those many customers with older grinders. The optional wording is simply whether a new customer wants one. Most of our sales go to coffee shops who wouldn't be bothered using the lid and it would then end up in the trash.
Suggestion (a repeat)

Pick a respected HB user who's been here awhile and who has a versalab and can write a first impressions piece.

Send them your kit and he'll probably provide the kind of photos, videos, overview and dealing with all the customer issues.

I don't think versalab has got the vibe of HB and the expectations. So why not work with the community from within?
LMWDP #603

gophish

#14: Post by gophish replying to happycat »

This is a great idea, and is already happening. I did a series of tests/thoughts/reviews on my personal blog last year and linked them in the grinder forum since I found so much of the previous information to be dated and not necessarily consistent with some of the incremental changes that had been made. Versalab M3 Thoughts and Discovery

That drew immediate criticism from some, though I feel I clarified any points and was transparent. AFTER those posts, John, from Versalab, and I had a series of long conversations regarding my thoughts on the grinder, and it's current standing in the market. At that point, we started to working together and I have been providing real world, home-barista feedback that has gone directly into the M4, as well as testing with a refractometer, making some videos for Instagram and YouTube, etc. so, at this point, I am somewhat of a partner or beta tester with Versalab.

I have also been testing some of the new components such as the new control board (which makes a great improvement) and SSP burrs. I was hoping to share some of the findings in the near future, but in full honesty, I have been hesitant knowing the second I do so, users may flag as a "vendor commenting in the main forums", bias, etc., regardless of the fact that many of the moderators regularly post findings of new equipment they have on loan from the manufacturer or distributor. That's a separate discussion, that I don't want to derail this thread with, but felt it necessary to address to provide context.

So, I hope that I can clarify any messaging and provide any feedback or answer any questions you may have to further the understanding and serve the HB community that I've learned so much from, including a lot of those HB reviews others have done before.
Versalab

versalab (original poster)
Sponsor

#15: Post by versalab (original poster) »

A picture of the new top funnel lid is at the bottom of our grinder page https://www.versalab.com/GRINDER.html and here

If purchased separately $18 + shipping.

AssafL

#16: Post by AssafL »

gophish wrote: I was hoping to share some of the findings in the near future, but in full honesty, I have been hesitant knowing the second I do so, users may flag as a "vendor commenting in the main forums", bias, etc.,
I too wonder why some members who try out equipment for vendors (like the egalitarian grinder member) are okay - while others, like you, are not.

Not enough brushed and anodized aluminium - perchance?
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

HB
Admin

#17: Post by HB »

gophish wrote:...at this point, I am somewhat of a partner or beta tester with Versalab.
Thanks for that clarification, your transparency is much appreciated. Do keep in mind that, if your relationship has any financial consideration, the Vendor participation in the forums rules apply to you outside of a Marketplace thread like this one. Thanks.
Dan Kehn

Sponsor

#18: Post by versalab (original poster) »

The main pictures on our website now show the M4.

Sponsor

#19: Post by versalab (original poster) »

We have changed the funnel lid. Experiments have indicated that it is now possible to pour the beans (with at least the hardness of Black Cat Classic) into the grinder before starting to grind . So this redesign allows complete enclosure.

The price is $28 if bought separately, included with any M4 if requested.

gophish

#20: Post by gophish »

Coffee is Ethiopia Geshe Botto from Barrington Coffee Roasting Company, one of the recent recommendations in the "lightly" roasted coffee debate - 18.0 grams poured in before starting the grinder.
Versalab