Versalab M3 alignment kit

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
versalab
Sponsor

Postby versalab » Nov 28, 2018, 6:50 pm

We are preparing to offer a kit for owners of early M3s that will allow them (if they have the relevant skills) to accurately check, and if needed, align the burrs in the grinder. We have no interest in making a profit from this, but simply to get more older M3s doing their job.

We are hoping to keep the price of the kit under $50, not including shipping. It will include a lever type dial indicator, magnetic stand, and some method of mounting the indicator to the center shaft. The parts of the kit are not of the highest quality but will do the job nicely. Higher quality equipment would cost more on the order of $175.

About the skill level needed... we will be including rather complete instructions including pictures. If you have the skills to change the burrs you can accomplish the alignment.

Please let us know if you are interested. We have no idea how many to consider making.

Mohammad

Postby Mohammad » Nov 29, 2018, 7:36 am

If the kit can get my 2008 VL as aligned as the latest ones, I'm definitely interested at that price.

Shipping my old VL across the globe to get it aligned & updated costs waaaaay too much. A well-priced kit that gets my 2008 VL to perform like the best of the newer ones would be super awesome!

versalab
Sponsor

Postby versalab » Dec 01, 2018, 9:52 pm

Considering the number of old grinders with alignment issues, I was hoping for more of a response.

happycat

Postby happycat » Dec 01, 2018, 10:49 pm

some product marketing maybe?

Describe problem to be fixed
Describe solution
Show pictures
Demonstrate impact of results
Get trusted HB member with your grinder to use and evaluate it and provide feedback with permission to share here on HB
Update your solution based on feedback (usability, suggestions)
Take a page from Orphan Espresso and do a YouTube video on it

take a look at the forums here and see how people get attention. Soak up the community vibe or hire someone to do so.

I'm quite puzzled by the way versalab expresses itself and advertises on this site. The value proposition is not at all clear.

Consider avoiding phrases like this:

The parts of the kit are not of the highest quality
LMWDP #603

chipman

Postby chipman » Dec 02, 2018, 12:11 am

Since he was directing his comments to Versalab owners I would think they know exactly the problem this kit will fix. As for the "Not the best quality" admission. Kudos to John for his honesty and explanation for not using different materials.

His comment has only been up one day. I suspect more response coming in the next couple of days.

Mohammad

Postby Mohammad » Dec 02, 2018, 2:11 am

versalab wrote:Considering the number of old grinders with alignment issues, I was hoping for more of a response.

Possibilities:
- Maybe not many old VL owners visit HB frequently? Maybe email them directly?
- Maybe they got used to the taste or lost hope? Maybe email them directly?
- Maybe a demo video would attract more attention and get people talking?

For one, I sure hope this kit can get mine perfectly aligned and make a real difference in the grind.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Dec 02, 2018, 3:37 am

I would be interested.

Also would be okay for a more expensive tool steel mounts (albeit those are hard to make in low quantities).

I do have indicators so a mount only kit is also good!

As a Versalab owner I can say that this is great! Kudos!
Caution! Water, heat, pressure and electricity don't mix! I want an espresso.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Dec 02, 2018, 3:39 am

versalab wrote:Considering the number of old grinders with alignment issues, I was hoping for more of a response.

In these parts - people usually wait for a few "early adopters" owners to get their hands dirty - ask questions and only then jump in.

AssafL

Postby AssafL » Dec 02, 2018, 3:56 am

BTW - this makes Versalab the first (and currently the only) grinder maker to offer an alignment validation tool.

Cheers (and thank you) for leading a rather backwards industry!

EricC

Postby EricC » Dec 02, 2018, 5:28 am

I would be interested too.

I would also be in the market for more expensive tool steel mounts as, like Assaf above, I already own indicators so a mount only kit would be perfect.

Thank you.