Roast Vision - a new and affordable roast level sensor for $299 - Page 5

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#41: Post by Peppersass »

Brewzologist wrote:Dick; How does Roast Vision aid your roasting efforts?
It allows me to correlate the ground coffee color with the profile I used for roasting and the results of brewing -- taste, best extraction parameters, etc.

For example, say a roast of an Ethiopian natural measures 18 Medium, and I decide that I'm not getting the berry flavors that the greens seller listed for the coffee. It's possible I've roasted too dark and baked the berry flavor out of the beans. I can try pulling Ristretto to see if that'll bring out more berry flavor without going sour, but more likely it means I have to roast lighter. I might increase the charge temperature or initial airflow to push the roast faster, and perhaps develop it for a shorter time in first crack. For example, the medium roast might have developed 18% and I might drop the roast sooner so development is 14%. Then I use the Roast Vision to see where the roast color landed and how far I've been able to move it to the light end of the spectrum, and hopefully I'll taste berries when the coffee has fully rested. If I hit the mark, I know that I'm looking for a certain color and in subsequent roasts Roast Vision will confirm whether I've hit the mark color-wise.

The great thing is that it only takes a few beans to check the color, so i can measure very quickly with minimal hassle and waste.

espressovision
Sponsor

#42: Post by espressovision »

Hi all,

I wanted to announce that we saved the funds and just purchased an Agtron capable device (Lighttells CM-100 Plus), and will get to work right away on creating a conversion from the Roast Vision scale to Agtron.

Thank you all so much for the support, we wouldn't have been able to afford one if it weren't for your early interest,

Zach
★ Helpful

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#43: Post by Brewzologist »

espressovision wrote:Hi all,
I wanted to announce that we saved the funds and just purchased an Agtron capable device (Lighttells CM-100 Plus), and will get to work right away on creating a conversion from the Roast Vision scale to Agtron.

Thank you all so much for the support, we wouldn't have been able to afford one if it weren't for your early interest,

Zach
Would also be good to get your insights on any differences in level of precision between the two devices. Perhaps that will come with your scale conversion efforts however.

Peppersass
Supporter ❤

#44: Post by Peppersass »

It'll also be interesting to get data on the differences between readings on whole beans versus ground.
★ Helpful

espressovision
Sponsor

#45: Post by espressovision »

Thanks Steve and Dick!

I'll add those both to the items to test, and if you or anyone else has any other requests please add them here and I'll post results once we have them.

Thanks,
Zach

aWud

#46: Post by aWud »

Hi Zach - interested in the espresso vision. Wondering if you have any deals/discounts going on for the holidays?

espressovision
Sponsor

#47: Post by espressovision »

Hi Adham,

We haven't launched any holiday sales just yet, but I'll DM you a coupon code in the meantime.

Thanks for asking,
Zach

espressovision
Sponsor

#48: Post by espressovision »

Hi all,

I've gotten requests to open a public spreadsheet for Roast Vision numbers and just set up a quick Google Form and Google Spreadsheet.

The form to enter data is here.

The spreadsheet to view the results is here.

Please let me know if you would like anything added to the form, or changed and I'll make adjustments.

espressovision
Sponsor

#49: Post by espressovision »

Wanted to show a preliminary correlation between Roast Vision and Agtron Gourmet based off of the home roasts and commercial samples we've tested so far:

Looks very promising right off the bat (the Lighttells and Roast Vision both use NIR reflectance), and we'll continue to roast and purchase samples along the entire range (0-35) to fill in the missing gaps, as well as add multiple points for each Roast Vision # to improve the conversion accuracy.

By the end of this Sunday, 11/29, we'll release the full conversion to Agtron Gourmet on the website, and currently plan to do so by adding the approximate Agtron Gourmet numbers alongside the Roast Vision numbers on the scale.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thanks again!

espressovision
Sponsor

#50: Post by espressovision »

Just released the Agtron Gourmet conversion on our site with a brief write-up here. We also just ordered a coffee sieve in order to measure grind size for future tests more accurately.

Here is the image as well:

To answer Steve's question regarding the precision of the CM100+ and Roast Vision, I'll have to do much more testing once we can measure grind size, as unfortunately our electric grinder was damaged while grinding some of the extremely lightly roasted samples, so we had to switch to an inexpensive backup hand grinder. For the conversion, we actually re-ground all of the roasts by hand for consistency instead of including some with the electric grinder and some by hand. I'm really impressed with the build quality and design of the CM100+, and expect it to be very accurate once I run some more tests.

For Dick's question regarding whole bean vs. ground, the 9 (100g) sample roasts that I made specifically for this testing (images at the link above) were about 15 to 25% darker than the whole bean measurement for Agtron. Not the most even roast throughout the bean, which was a challenge roasting 100g batches on the Aillio Bullet R1 V2, as the general minimum batch size is 350g. I'll continue taking whole bean and ground measurements as I do larger roasts and purchase more beans and will report back.
★ Helpful