Roast Vision - a new and affordable roast level sensor for $299 - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#11: Post by baldheadracing »

I went to the website to buy one - but it is USA only. Normally I would just drive to the States and pick one up, but this is 2020 :| .

Please let us know when you ship to Canada.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

espressovision
Sponsor

#12: Post by espressovision »

Thanks for letting me know Craig - I hadn't anticipated selling internationally, but after hearing from a few other people in Canada I'll look into this and try to set this up ASAP.

baldheadracing
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by baldheadracing » replying to espressovision »

Thanks. In normal times, Canada could be 5%-10% of your USA sales. FYI, if the device fits, a USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box is easily the best option for Canadians.
What I'm interested in is my worst espresso being fantastic - James Hoffmann

espressovision
Sponsor

#14: Post by espressovision » replying to baldheadracing »

Luckily that is the exact box I place my custom box inside to ship with, and it should be set by the end of this coming week - just getting some customs forms envelopes and other items prepared. I'll post an update here once it's setup for shipping.

daustin777

#15: Post by daustin777 »

I'm really considering buying one.
I was originally considering buying a Tonino, although I wasn't quite sure where to get one in the US. The listed US distributor doesn't respond to emails.
I have the SCA Roast Color Calibration swatch disks and the RoastRight Color Swatch (which match number-wise, BTW). It is a pain since you really need a proper light booth to be accurate.

For my use, I want to have precision in my roast level so that each batch of roasted coffee is consistent.

I assume that the proprietary scale can be translated, by a third party to something close to Agtron.

espressovision
Sponsor

#16: Post by espressovision »

Thanks for the interest David!

I've been posting some in-use photos on the Espresso Vision Instagram to demonstrate the device, so there might be some photos there that give you a bit more intuition about the precision and sensitivity of the device. I actually have 7 bags of coffee coming in soon from multiple roasters that I'll be comparing and testing with my device over the coming days for more demos.

For batch QC and precision, we believe that 35 distinct roast levels with a precision of +/- 1 unit is more than enough in order to validate and QC multiple batches.

Regarding Agtron, this is a main priority of ours once we have the funds for an Agtron specific device.

Additionally, the translation to Agtron will be provided through the website via an update to the Roast Vision Scale Diagram, so this will be available to anyone that purchased the device at any time, even if Agtron conversion wasn't released at the time of your purchase.

espressovision
Sponsor

#17: Post by espressovision »

baldheadracing wrote:Thanks. In normal times, Canada could be 5%-10% of your USA sales. FYI, if the device fits, a USPS Priority Mail small flat rate box is easily the best option for Canadians.
Sales and shipping to Canada is live on the website!

Thanks for the patience while I was setting it up!

Iowa_Boy

#18: Post by Iowa_Boy »

Peppersass wrote:I'm major into Arduino -- used one to add flow and pressure profiling to my GS/3 :D.

Now that you mention setting the grinder very fine for measurement, that's actually another advantage over the Tonino method. Some have commented that you have to grind very, very fine to get accurate and consistent results with the Tonino. That means you may not be able to use the grounds in the basket after measuring. Personally, I've always measured at the grind setting I'm using to pull the espresso, and haven't taken the time to compare readings at different grind settings.

So if a really fine grind is essential for consistency and accuracy, your small sample requirement is a definite advantage.

I'm game. Order placed.
Peppersass - did you receive yours yet? Would appreciate your impressions!