Profitec Flow Control Device is now available to all - Page 7

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
elbertfunkleberg

#61: Post by elbertfunkleberg »

I think the ongoing silence speaks volumes as to the effectiveness of this device. It certainly didn't shake my world.

DaveC

#62: Post by DaveC replying to elbertfunkleberg »

I am currently testing and examining the Lelit profiling device on a number of machines/types. I think I may also be getting a Profitec kit as well from Germany. I will of course test that on the same machines. With each I will go through their strengths and weaknesses. I do have a few concerns about the Profitec kit, but until I have one in my hands, it wouldn't be fair to say anything at this stage.

airmoses83
Supporter ♡

#63: Post by airmoses83 »

What are the benefits to having this on my ecm technika iv?

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#64: Post by Nunas »

What are the benefits to having this on my ecm technika iv?
The Technika can be thought of as the HX version of my ECM Synchronika (which is a double boiler). As such, IMHO the most valuable accessory to put on the e61 is a thermometer. My previous machine was a Magister HX and I considered the EricS thermometer on it essential. However, the flow control kit, while it would work on the Technika (or any e61 for that matter) is best with a means of measuring brew pressure. On the other hand, a DB does not need a thermometer; the brew temperature is a function of the brew boiler PID. I guess you could think of it like: a thermometer is to an HX as a brew pressure gauge is to a DB. An HX and a DB will work just fine without either accoutrement, but it's a bit like being in the dark...you're much better off with a flashlight :D . However, if you add a thermometer to the e61 of an HX, you won't be able to add the brew pressure gauge for the flow kit.

If you add the flow kit (with or without the gauge), you'll be able to change the nature of your shot profile. One way to use it is to start the shot with the valve closed, then lift the lever and open the valve a bit. This controls the preinfusion time. For the middle third of the shot, run the valve at about 1.5 turns open, which is about the same jet setting as a stock e61. Then gradually close the valve for the last third, simulating the pressure drop off of a spring-type lever machine. You don't really "need" the gauge to do this, as you can judge by flow of the espresso instead of the pressure. Alas, there's no free lunch for some HX users (but you'll be okay). In most HX machines the vibe pump is limited in duty cycle to 50/50 with a max of one minute on. Lucky for you, your Technika has a rotary pump, which has no such limitation as far as I know.

pcrussell50

#65: Post by pcrussell50 »

Nunas wrote: If you add the flow kit (with or without the gauge), you'll be able to change the nature of your shot profile. One way to use it is to start the shot with the valve closed, then lift the lever and open the valve a bit. This controls the preinfusion time. For the middle third of the shot, run the valve at about 1.5 turns open, which is about the same jet setting as a stock e61. Then gradually close the valve for the last third, simulating the pressure drop off of a spring-type lever machine.

This ^^^ is it right here. The whole raison d'etre. If this device can do this, I don't know why there isn't such a big back order that the waiting list is a year or more. Now that I have it, for me, doing without this capability would like having one hand tied behind your back. There's no going back.
Nunas wrote: You don't really "need" the gauge to do this, as you can judge by flow of the espresso instead of the pressure. Alas, there's no free lunch for some HX users (but you'll be okay). In most HX machines the vibe pump is limited in duty cycle to 50/50 with a max of one minute on. Lucky for you, your Technika has a rotary pump, which has no such limitation as far as I know.
For the benefit of those who do have vibe pumps, if you do run rough of the duty cycle, the Ulka pumps are dirt cheap to buy, and on my machine (granted not an e61), super easy to replace. I treated the vibe pump as a "consumables", to use for profiling as I wished and replace cheaply and easily if I ever needed to. I routinely ran the Ulka all the way out to 90s for super long low flow pre infusion. It never failed and was still working just fine until a few months ago when I converted to rotary. Food for thought I thought I'd throw out there.

-Peter
LMWDP #553

mohninme

#66: Post by mohninme »

pcrussell50 wrote: For the benefit of those who do have vibe pumps, if you do run rough of the duty cycle, the Ulka pumps are dirt cheap to buy, and on my machine (granted not an e61), super easy to replace. I treated the vibe pump as a "consumables", to use for profiling as I wished and replace cheaply and easily if I ever needed to. I routinely ran the Ulka all the way out to 90s for super long low flow pre infusion. It never failed and was still working just fine until a few months ago when I converted to rotary. Food for thought I thought I'd throw out there.
Agreed.. I also abuse the Ulka vibe pump in my HX daily with long pre-infusions like Peter has mentioned above. I have been doing so for a few months now and have had no issues whatsoever.
Michael

welshine

#67: Post by welshine »

mallen4248 wrote:Any idea on the updated flow control handle for the Profitec Pro 700?
Is there any forecast date?
Wish a wider range handle bar soon for better brew process. Thanks!

pcrussell50

#68: Post by pcrussell50 »

welshine wrote: Wish a wider range handle bar soon for better brew process. Thanks!
A few of us have valves that use a knob or a dial in place of a handle or a paddle for our needle valves. With a carefully selected valve and a knob, you will have all the range you need within 360 degrees of rotation. Easily achievable and controllable physiologically. One just has to psychologically get over the old "paddle" mindset we were inculcated with ten years ago.

If I read correctly, and unless I'm confusing it with the Bianca valve, this valve has all the range you need, physically. Replace the bar with a knob and you have all the range you can possibly need.

-Pet
LMWDP #553

Haskens

#69: Post by Haskens »

pcrussell50 wrote:Sorry I haven't read all 60 posts... I did read all the posts on the previous page though.

Janky, unloved handle notwithstanding, how does this thing perform? And more, how does it perform in non-Profitec machines? Seems like these ought to be the major talking points of this thread. Or is it simply too early to tell? I would have thought that in the three months since this thread started, these "devices" would be on perpetual backorde,r due to demand.

-Peter
I have this installed on my Alex Duetto, installed it 2 months ago now and it actually has rocked my espresso world - you may recall I was considering selling my Duetto to get a BDB, but ever since I installed the flow control device I have no desire to switch. It opens up the range of espressos that I can easily brew - I enjoy the lighter stuff, so for me it was a no brainer. I marked the device at 2ml/s and again at 6 ml/s with a permanent marker for the sake of repeatability and it's been working splendidly.

pcrussell50

#70: Post by pcrussell50 »

Good to hear. I was wondering what came of you and your situation. Well done. I can't understand why everybody isn't doing this.

OT side story. Just before the BDB came out, I was looking at the "brand new Alex Duetto 2". Then at the last minute, I decided I was going to spring for a GS/3. Then at the very last minute, the BDB came out and the Scace reports were putting it in GS/3 territory for thermal stability and I thought, "OK, this can't be real, but for the price, I owe it to myself to give it a try". So I did. Certain it wouldn't last very long, and then I'd get my GS/3. That was Fall 2011. In the end, it was the same story as you... No reason to move on. Works great, easy to maintain, seems like it lasts forever, blah blah blah...

-Peter
LMWDP #553