Pre-order this game changer home espresso machine... - Page 26

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
ira

Postby ira » Nov 17, 2018, 2:05 pm

If you can easily get the stock 2 hole one you might just try drilling out the holes one number size per day till you ruin it or it's gets where you want. It might just be the holes were made small to keep it easy to use for newbies.

Ira

1st-line
Sponsor

Postby 1st-line » Nov 17, 2018, 2:36 pm

juice wrote:Thank you! I tried doing some research but I can't seem to find any 4 hole tips that are compatible. Is there a way to convert an 8mm male to 10mm female? Or if you know any compatible tips that would be greatly useful. I would like to try and see the difference between the stock two hole and a 4 or 3 x 1mm holes

I am not aware of any adapters. However, I do have an assortment of 2, 3 and 4 hole tips from other commercial machines. Going into a super busy week, I am not sure how fast I can get these set up. Most of these tips will be 1.5mm or larger holes as they are for commercial machines.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

1st-line
Sponsor

Postby 1st-line » Nov 17, 2018, 2:42 pm

ira wrote:If you can easily get the stock 2 hole one you might just try drilling out the holes one number size per day till you ruin it or it's gets where you want. It might just be the holes were made small to keep it easy to use for newbies.

Ira

I would agree and add..

Size and number of holes are researched for the following factors

a) amount of milk to steam/microfroth
b) maintain steam capacity and throughput based on a 110 volt machine that can not recover two boiler heating elements as good as a 220 volt machine
c) slower pave is easier for newbies or from those coming from mass market machines where the steam power is slllllooooowwwwww!!!!
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

wesleynance

Postby wesleynance » Nov 19, 2018, 2:10 pm

I love the steam power. I am using the smaller holes tip with the boiler cranked to the highest temp. I am usually steaming for 6oz Capps in a small 12oz pitcher. I get excellent micro foam with this setup, but it takes a bit longer than I would like.

I've tried the larger holes tip, and even with the boiler turned down to 1.3 bar I'm blowing the milk all over the place in my small pitcher. When I am able to control micro foam is a bit coarse.

I would be interested in something in between- maybe a 3 hole tip at the smaller size? I will continue to experiment with the larger holes tip.

Also, is it possible to make the steam arm a bit stiffer? Do I just tighten down the nut a bit at the ball joint?

1st-line
Sponsor

Postby 1st-line » replying to wesleynance » Nov 20, 2018, 12:35 pm

Lower amounts of milk will require a slower throughput. Otherwise, as you see with the larger hole tip, it blows up the milk. If the holes go smaller than 1mm, there may not be enough velocity, increased steam hole blockage, or still too much velocity. An investment into 1000 custom made steam tips would be quite expensive if it does not work out.

It is ok to slightly tighten the steam wand nut 1/8th of a turn max after hand tightening.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

wesleynance

Postby wesleynance » Nov 24, 2018, 6:01 pm

1st-line wrote:Impressive on the pic!

Everyone has their own routine. If grinding very fine to compensate for less coffee in the basket, then water backflushing ok. If a little coarser, then every 5-10 pulls is my routine on the water only backflush.

With detergent, I prefer every 50 extractions. However, it really depends upon your coffee. However, more backflushing with detergent does have a tendency to remove the food grade grease.

Let me know if the binding continues. I m here to assist if needed!

Jim,

I've determined that the binding is with the cam inside the E61, not with the wheel brew switch. I have still only backflushed with water, no detergent. The binding can be significant at times, ie require a bit of force to overcome, and non-existent at other times.

Please advise, it seems strange that I would have to pull the lever/cam to lubricate with a brand new machine that has never seen detergent backflush.

I wonder if this was present at manufacture testing in Italy, or the bench test at 1st-line. I do have a couple deep scratches one of the big nuts where the lever shaft enters the group, not sure if someone had it off for some reason.

Wes

1st-line
Sponsor

Postby 1st-line » Nov 25, 2018, 10:55 pm

wesleynance wrote:Jim,

I've determined that the binding is with the cam inside the E61, not with the wheel brew switch. I have still only backflushed with water, no detergent. The binding can be significant at times, ie require a bit of force to overcome, and non-existent at other times.

Please advise, it seems strange that I would have to pull the lever/cam to lubricate with a brand new machine that has never seen detergent backflush.

I wonder if this was present at manufacture testing in Italy, or the bench test at 1st-line. I do have a couple deep scratches one of the big nuts where the lever shaft enters the group, not sure if someone had it off for some reason.

Hi Wes,

Every unit gets bench tested here with water at 1st-line - we check for normal operation testing the grouphead, how water and steam valves, and proper refilling of the boilers. We check for potential leaks as well as any damage that may have occurred in shipping to us or within our warehosue.

The lever gets pulled up at least 3x. Since the grouphead is mechanical, it would seem that the binding would happen every time. However, I woulkd never rule out a possibility of it being sporadic.

On other models of machines, it has been the brew switch that I seen this intermittent problem. In addition to too much detergent, I have also seen some water types that strip the lubricant from the grouphead internals. As for finish on the nuts, I have seen every brand with some scratches as these are all placed in a bin to hit each other while shipping to a manufacturer. I have complained about this to all manufacturers with e61s. (added via edit). Please email me a picture of the scratch and I will follow it up with Lelit.

First, I would backflush with a small amount of detergent. Test for a few days. Not backflushing with detergent may be causing the sporadic issue.

Second, if not already done so.... With machine powered off,I would pull the lever up and down many times with the brew switch taped in. Try to replicate the binding as this is the only way to rule out the switch which is more likely then the cam. If you can not bind the grouphead, then it points to the switch behind the lever.

Third, if you can bind it with the switch taped in, I can send you some lubricant.

Again, the e61 group is mechanical and if there is an issue inside, it is usually not a sporadic problem from what I have experienced in the last 21 years. I will also ask the engineer at Lelit regarding your issue.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

wesleynance

Postby wesleynance » replying to 1st-line » Nov 26, 2018, 11:23 am

Thanks for the detailed reply. Let me know if you want to take this conversation private outside this thread at some point.

I backflushed with a bit of Cafiza, and things are about the same. Mostly not binding, then sometimes after a shot it will bind the next time I lift the lever to flush the group.

If I were to try to back the switch out a bit do I need to open the case? There's another flat nut on the backside of the switch assembly inside the case, right? I think had the lever binding while I had the switch held in, but I could eliminate the switch as a problem if I back it off a bit and see if that fixes things.

Also, just to be clear, I'm totally loving the Bianca. The espresso is amazing.

Wes

1st-line
Sponsor

Postby 1st-line » Nov 26, 2018, 4:21 pm

wesleynance wrote:Thanks for the detailed reply. Let me know if you want to take this conversation private outside this thread at some point.

I backflushed with a bit of Cafiza, and things are about the same. Mostly not binding, then sometimes after a shot it will bind the next time I lift the lever to flush the group.

If I were to try to back the switch out a bit do I need to open the case? There's another flat nut on the backside of the switch assembly inside the case, right? I think had the lever binding while I had the switch held in, but I could eliminate the switch as a problem if I back it off a bit and see if that fixes things.

Also, just to be clear, I'm totally loving the Bianca. The espresso is amazing.

Hi Wes,

I do not mind the thread here... In fact, I do not not quiet these threads like some manufacturers want their distributors to. It is a learning for everyone, including the manufacturer to improve their products as well as improving the customer experience. I am very confident in the Bianca! Yes, the espresso is amazing

Lelit emailed me. Their master engineer believes the lubricant has been removed. How? I am not 100% sure. Let me know and I can send you some.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

wesleynance

Postby wesleynance » replying to 1st-line » Nov 26, 2018, 9:50 pm

I appreciate your candor and working through this with me. Obviously a minor issue, none of the parts involved would ever be very expensive. Please send me some lubricant. You have my address from the original order, right?

Thanks!