NEW! Nitro Cold Brew Coffee Maker for Home - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#11: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

Was just gifted one. Early holidays while kids are in town. Can't wait.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

Iowa_Boy

#12: Post by Iowa_Boy »

CarefreeBuzzBuzz, congratulations! Please post your review once you give it a try.

slybarman

#13: Post by slybarman »

Discussion of N2 versus N:

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#14: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz »

More info in this other thread and info on N2 vs N20

Ukeg Nitro: Share your Tips and Tricks

Prima Coffee said this about N2 in that thread:
primacoffee wrote:N2O seems like a strange choice of gas in this context. N2 is the standard. It is flavorless, it doesn't react with coffee, it is abundant and cheap. N2O has a sweet taste that will be imparted to the beverage, and while it's quite commonly available for cream whippers it's not usually used for kegs. It also generally creates a coarser foam/larger bubbles than N2. My preference would be to use N2, but I don't know if there are compatible cartridges for your device. N2 is sold in 2 gram chargers for whipping siphons, as well as some larger threaded cylinders for wine preservation systems.
Another poster said that they had not found N2 cartridges in 16gram size, so the following is very relevant.

Here some answers GrowlerWorks put on their Kickstarter Q&A:
GrowlerWerks wrote:N2 is what is most commonly used with the mass produced Nitro coffees as it is easier to get in larger quantities and will work if you are able to find the right size cartridges. N2O is inert (most commonly used for keeping dairy in whipped cream fresh) and will not oxidize the coffee which is why we went this direction. We have put the uKeg through a variety of scenarios and even had the Starbuck's coffee counsel do some testing over a two week period and found that there was no significant different in what they are pouring and what is poured from the uKeg Nitro. To your point the Oxygen in N2O can be an oxidizer but the temperature would have to soar up high and only then would there be issues in freshness.Regarding the volume of gas in the cartridges, you will have plenty to infuse the coffee, keep it fresh, pour it all out, and a bit to help rinse out the tubing before filling it again. I am looking for documentation regarding the third part of your question on mouthfeel and fizz, but until then I do hope that helps and if you have any other questions, please let us know.

Nitrous oxide is completely inert at room temperature, which is why its used as to store things like cream and milk for several months. We also use nitrous because it's much more dense when stored, it also infuses faster and at lower pressures than nitrogen.As for taste, the nitrous does add a little creaminess to the coffee, mostly from the areation of the coffee, similar to nitrogen. It also desaturates slower than nitrogen, which means the creaminess lasts longer instead of dissipating in a minute or two. You don't get a "fizzy" sensation because the nitrous doesn't acidify the coffee as CO2 would.

The uKeg Nitro uses one N2O cartridge per fill. This is enough to infuse the coffee with the gas as well as have enough left to dispense the full contents of the uKeg. There will also be just enough in there to rinse out your uKeg for storage.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart

1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#15: Post by 1st-line (original poster) »

Hi All,

Sorry, super duper busy here for the holidays! Just an fyi.... a cup is typically considered 5 ounces. Therefore, 12 cups means about 60 ounces. 10 cups means 50 ounces. The one we sell is 68 ounces, but the packaging does not even say it.

Great discussion on the gas. I will try different cartridges at home.

Have a great holiday!
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Mintyfresh

#16: Post by Mintyfresh »

I've been interested in trying one of these out. Have most been happy with this setup? Havent seen much for reviews.

1st-line (original poster)
Sponsor

#17: Post by 1st-line (original poster) replying to Mintyfresh »

I have been using mine at home for over a month. There have been some complaints of no Guinness effect, but this is because the unit does need to be shaken well (between 30 and 60 secs) before pouring.

A great indicator for us on an item is returns. So far, no return requests in the past month.
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC