LUCCA Atom 75 Questions / Answers - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
adam@clive (original poster)
Sponsor

#11: Post by adam@clive (original poster) »

@yertchuk
I'm not sure how technical you want to get. You can read the patent, if you'd like (https://patents.google.com/patent/US20210219782A1/). If any of you have taken apart a Eureka grinder, the burrs adjust bottom-up. The top burr is fixed. There is a lever / screw mechanism that pushes the burr up from the bottom as you rotate the knob. We measure the angle of the lever.

@OK31
I don't think we'll start retrofitting, unfortunately. The initial calibration is a little too tough to nail at home. You need production tools to get it just right. We'll see.

Also - we are completely sold out of the initial batch of black units. We still have a few whites left. Just FYI.

OK31

#12: Post by OK31 »

thanks @adam@clive, for now I'm very happy with the 75 and will stick to it. I'd definitely be curious if a retro does become available down the road even if it may require sending it out to do (just pipe dreaming :D )

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
yertchuk
Supporter ♡

#13: Post by yertchuk »

adam@clive wrote:@yertchuk
I'm not sure how technical you want to get. You can read the patent, if you'd like (https://patents.google.com/patent/US20210219782A1/). If any of you have taken apart a Eureka grinder, the burrs adjust bottom-up. The top burr is fixed. There is a lever / screw mechanism that pushes the burr up from the bottom as you rotate the knob. We measure the angle of the lever.
Thanks, that answers my question.

Ataraxia

#14: Post by Ataraxia »

I really waste coffee dialing it in and back whenever I wish to make some drip. It sounds like this can do both fairly well and that's really exciting. I often switch between pourover and espresso so this seems really relevant to me. Often times people have stated that espresso grinder burrs generally don't produce good grinds for drip/pourover so I have a few questions around this.

1. Are these burrs the same as come stock with the standard atom 75?
2. Is this system meant to allow users to replace the burrs?
3. Are there any maintenance issues that come into play when changing them?
4. I notice there's not an option for the blow-up hopper. Have you run into issues with that hopper and grounds being blasted into the main grinder body?

Thank you

adam@clive (original poster)
Sponsor

#15: Post by adam@clive (original poster) »

@Ataraxia

1. They are similar. We developed a process with Eureka that basically speedruns a break-in period so we can get more consistency out of the box. The burrs are first milled from the same alloy as Eureka's Diamond Inside burrs. Then they are pre-seasoned until their edge profile produces the perfect grind. Last, they are cryogenically hardened to lock in that shape for good.

2. We haven't tried yet. It took is so long to get these burrs perfect. I'll give you a hard maybe.

3. Nothing mechanical. The model may not be accurate in that case, but again, we haven't tried. We successfully migrated the model from the 65mm to 75mm burrs, so anything is possible.

4. Personally, I never loved the blow-up system. I felt like you buy the grinder for the way you want to use it. If you are going to single-dose, buy a low retention grinder. This grinder is pretty great from that perspective, as are the mignons.

Adam