Klatch Coffee and the Golden Bean Espresso + MVP winners - Page 5

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.

Which MVP Golden Bean version was your favorite?

Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Version 4

Total votes: 3

HB (original poster)
Admin

#41: Post by HB (original poster) »

And the winner is our own drgary (88/100)! Enjoy V4!
Dan Kehn

CarefreeBuzzBuzz

#42: Post by CarefreeBuzzBuzz replying to HB »

And everyone should enjoy that Klatch extended their holiday sale one more day. You can pick any of the codes, original limitations apply.
Artisan.Plus User-
Artisan Quick Start Guide
http://bit.ly/ArtisanQuickStart
★ Helpful

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#43: Post by drgary »

HB wrote:And the winner is our own drgary (88/100)! Enjoy V4!
Thank you, thank you! I look forward to Klatch's next Golden Bean offering and will give it some leverage. I'll at least dial it in on my Conti Prestina, Cafelat Robot, and the very first La Pavoni Europiccola.

Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

ckroaster
Sponsor

#44: Post by ckroaster »

Hi all,

JP here from Klatch Coffee. Today we launched Golden Bean Version 4! Thanks to all who have submitted feedback thus far. We've been testing and experimenting to bring you the latest version - 4! Version 4 has Ethiopia Worka Natural Anaerobic Yeast and El Salvador Pacamara Honey. It starts with a tart cherry, moves into juicy fruity apricot, and finishes with the sweetness of brown sugar and spices. Try it today and continue to email us your feedback.

https://www.klatchroasting.com/products ... -espresso
Email your feedback to: info@klatchroasting.com

drgary
Team HB

#45: Post by drgary »

I look forward to trying this, Jacqueline. How would you pull it?
Gary
LMWDP#308

beer&mathematics

#46: Post by beer&mathematics »

No! I loved V3--I accidentally bought two bags of WBC last Wednesday since I grabbed from the back of the pile to get the really fresh stuff.

Maybe I'll go into the shop and see if any more v3 bags are left :P [edit to add: went to my local Klatch yesterday and picked up another V3 bag 8) )
LMWDP #431

drgary
Team HB

#47: Post by drgary »

ckroaster wrote:Version 4 has Ethiopia Worka Natural Anaerobic Yeast and El Salvador Pacamara Honey. It starts with a tart cherry, moves into juicy fruity apricot, and finishes with the sweetness of brown sugar and spices.
Updated version 1/15:

From earlier: I've just started to dial it in on Day 8 post-roast (1/13). Not there yet, but I'm liking it already, and the notes match what I'm picking up. The Ethiopian anaerobic natural is up front but in a balanced way. To avoid cluttering the thread, I'll update this post as I get it dialed in.

On 1/14 I tried a couple of pulls on my vintage Olympia Express Cremina, taking it 7°F hotter at the start by external group measurement to try and overcome sourness. (The sourness was underextraction.) That was a mistake that burned the coffee. When my external thermometer reads 195°F the shot tastes like one pulled at 202°F.

Today (1/15), 10 days post-roast, after communicating with Heather Perry, I learned that the recommended brew ratio is 1:2 (coffee:liquid in the cup). She also wrote that it peaks at about 2 weeks post roast, and in response to my concern about whether to freeze an anaerobic natural, it can be frozen for later use, if needed. I pulled shots with 15 sec preinfusion, 18 gm in, about 36 gm out. The first shot took a minute to run after the preinfusion. It started with a slight sourness but was very sweet and medium bodied. There was a hint of roastiness/bitterness in the aftertaste. The second shot ran 32 sec after a grinder adjustment. It was sour without much if any sweetness. I'm using Crystal Geyser water here with my Conti Prestina and a Niche Zero grinder. The Prestina is set for a brew temp of approximately 202°F. So the fun puzzle here is dialing in for a slower flow rate so that the shot is not underextracted, which would reveal only sourness, and pulled a bit back from slightly overextracted, which showed in the roastiness/bitterness of the first shot, which was already sweet and very good. This is a great coffee for exploring the extraction space.

Gary
LMWDP#308

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#48: Post by drgary »

1/18: I waited until the expected peak at about Day 13 and am adding a post to bump the thread and encourage others to contribute your impressions. I tried to pull this coffee on my Cafelat Robot, using the same 18 gm in, 36 gm out, doing Sam Law's pre-heating with an excess pourover and inserting a filter paper under the shower screen. The shot was sour. For a lever, my best shots are with a long preinfusion and a grind fine enough to nearly choke the machine and doing a very long extraction. I did not try this on my 1961 Europiccola, because I ran out of coffee. I did try the last 14 gm in with 28 gm out on my 1987 Cremina, and got moderate sourness and no sweetness.

This is not my usual style of espresso, so it took some consulting with Klatch to dial it in. I usually home roast and pull less acidic roasts that are well matched to my traditional lever collection. My best shot of V4 was on 1/15, and it was very sweet and pleasing but took a minute to run. So the coffee is good for someone used to Slayer style shots.

Today, a one minute pull on my Conti Prestina was sour, keeping in mind that I'm using Crystal Geyser water. A 1 minute, 45 second pull showed more balance but lacked the sweetness of the 1/15 shot. For most of that shot the pull was a scattered slow dripping into the cup, then barely a thin stream. The grounds today weren't as fragrant as on Day 10 and earlier, so on my gear, at least, I wouldn't wait two weeks. But that's on my gear.

This coffee may be aimed at people running high extraction shots using slow flow rates and perhaps large, hyper-aligned flat burr grinders. I was using a Niche Zero at a near Turkish grind. For this reason, I am interested in seeing folks weigh in who have are used to this style of espresso and with the gear to do it justice.

Gary
LMWDP#308

HB (original poster)
Admin

#49: Post by HB (original poster) »

Alas, version 4 was the last one! I've added a poll to this thread, Which MVP Golden Bean version was your favorite? The results will be shown later. The last version will be around for a bit longer. Maybe we can convince Mike to bring back the fan favorite?
Dan Kehn

HB (original poster)
Admin

#50: Post by HB (original poster) »

Any other votes? I'll give it another day.
Dan Kehn