Klatch Coffee and the Golden Bean Espresso + MVP winners - Page 4

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.

Which MVP Golden Bean version was your favorite?

Version 1
Version 2
Version 3
Version 4

Total votes: 3

HB (original poster)
Admin

#31: Post by HB (original poster) »

It's once again time to vote for the Golden Bean MVP! Please look for the Select for MVP link over here :arrow:
Dan Kehn

HB (original poster)
Admin

#32: Post by HB (original poster) »

And the top five nominees are:
  • cmapes
  • homeburrero
  • CarefreeBuzzBuzz
  • jevenator
  • truemagellen
These gentlemen are in the drawing for Golden Bean Espresso V3; they'll have three opportunities to draw from the random number generator. Whoever gets closer to 100 wins.

PS: Unlike other contests, members of Team HB are eligible to play. I figure 2020 has been a year of many exceptions, so why not? :lol:
Dan Kehn

Urnex: 100% dedicated focus on coffee and tea cleaning
Sponsored by Urnex
truemagellen

#33: Post by truemagellen »

exciting! :lol:

HB (original poster)
Admin

#34: Post by HB (original poster) »

Congratulations cmapes, you have won the Golden Bean V3! We look forward to reading your thoughts about it. :D
Dan Kehn

cmapes
Supporter ♡

#35: Post by cmapes » replying to HB »

I plan on both cupping and pulling shots to give some detailed feedback on it once I receive it. This is especially fun because I was a regular at Klatch for years in San Dimas, CA. Eventually, the hobby progressed with me buying some expensive home equipment and eventually roasting. Since that happened I don't go frequently, but I still recommend Klatch to others and order greens (online) and occasionally roasted beans from them in-store.

cmapes
Supporter ♡

#36: Post by cmapes »

Here's my review of Klatch's Golden Bean Espresso V3 which I received on December 1st. Thanks to Klatch and Home Barista for getting me this bag to review as an MVP.

Age: I let these beans age a full 7 days from the roasting date, which has generally been around the peak with Klatch beans I've had in the past.

Dry beans scent: heavy caramel and chocolate with a pinch of a pleasant malted characteristic.

Shot scent: Caramel, sweetness, faint spice, milk chocolate.

Recipe: 18g in an 18g VST basket, ground on my Nuova Simonelli Mythos. 15 second 2bar pre-infusion, 32g out in 30 seconds. Pulled on an Expobar brewtus IV @ 201F @ 9bar.

(Photogenic, yet over-extracted shot the process of dialing in the recipe.)

Shot flavor: Malt, caramel, brown sugar, and milk chocolate are the first things that come to mind. The shot is creamy and shifted towards "sweet". It isn't acidic, astringent, or bitter. Just smooth. As the shot lingers in your mouth, the malty caramel gives way to a faint Ethiopian berry as the flavor lingers. My brain says "very faint Ethiopian blueberry" flavor. It'd be easy to miss this if you're not looking for it, but once it's pointed out you'll catch (and enjoy) it. I suspect it'd make for a rewarding finish in the flavor profile as a cappuccino. I would give this a shot (get it?) but my steam boiler is in need of a new heater coil and although I have the part on hand, I haven't gotten around to installing it yet. Mouthfeel is very rich and smooth. This shot feels refined, expensive.

As the shot cools the milk chocolate shifts towards a baker's chocolate and the subtle malt moves from the front towards the finish of the shot with the subtle berry almost falling away. It remains enjoyable and no off-flavors present themselves in the cooler, near room temperature shot. Enjoyable in all circumstances.

My take: This is such a difference from the wild single-origin espressos I usually enjoy. The next shot I pulled right after was Ethiopia Sidama Keramo Niguese Gemeda, the 2020 Ethiopian Cup of Excellence winner. A very different beast indeed.

Even so, this blend and roast accentuate the more traditional "comfort shot" with enough of a character to make it interesting enough for me to come back for more. Or maybe they just did it well enough that it doesn't matter. In this case, "traditional" is not equal to "boring". Classical flavor profiles that are executed right serve to remind me why they're considered classics to begin with.

Since this is an experimental blend I feel the need to give feedback. The blend and the roast are very refined as it is. It's a sensible comfort shot that checks all the right boxes as a crowd-pleaser, yet has a little pinch of something extra for those who go looking for it. I think if I had to suggest something I'd welcome them to bump up the Ethiopian component a little bit to bring out a tiny more of that finish. Now there's a good chance that may throw off the balance of the front-end flavor notes of the shot by stepping up the malty flavor too much. Right now it's perfect. So if that is the case then I think they found a great balance and I wouldn't change it. It's a winner.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#37: Post by HB (original poster) »

Thanks for the review!
cmapes wrote:Right now it's perfect. So if that is the case then I think they found a great balance and I wouldn't change it. It's a winner.
On the assumption there's a V4, I've opened the Golden Bean MVP voting again. :D
Dan Kehn

Flair Espresso: handcrafted espresso. cafe-quality shots, anytime, anywhere
Sponsored by Flair Espresso
cmapes
Supporter ♡

#38: Post by cmapes »

HB wrote:Thanks for the review!
On the assumption there's a V4, I've opened the Golden Bean MVP voting again. :D
To be clear, the front-end of the flavor profile is perfect. If I could get anything on my wishlist it'd be a little bit more of that Ethiopian berry finish. But I'm also an Ethiopian Fruit bomb fan so take my recommendation with that in mind. It seems they've dialed in what I assume they were striving for with this blend.

HB (original poster)
Admin

#39: Post by HB (original poster) »

Thanks cmapes for the review comments! I agree with your assessment, and will add that to my taste, V3 really combines the best of V1 (floral delight) and V2 (clean, savory). The V1 was splendid, but faded quickly; V2 held its own for a long time. A week+ post roast, the intoxicating fragrance of the Golden Bean V3 still surprises me each morning. :D For those who haven't tried it, you'll need to order soon.

https://www.klatchroasting.com/collecti ... n-espresso (enter coupon code "HB10" for 10% off)

I'll need to confirm there's another round "V4" (I think so?). Either way, voting ends tomorrow for Golden Bean MVP!
Dan Kehn

HB (original poster)
Admin

#40: Post by HB (original poster) »

For Golden Bean V4, the top five nominees are:
  • Brewzologist
  • drgary
  • erics
  • Jeff
  • pizzaman383
These gentlemen have have three opportunities to draw from the random number generator. Whoever gets closer to 100 wins. You can see how they're doing by clicking here.

Reminder: Unlike other contests, members of Team HB are eligible to play. I figure 2020 has been a year of many exceptions. :roll:
Dan Kehn