How Do You Drink Espresso? With or Without Milk?

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
jackrabbitcoffee
Sponsor

#1: Post by jackrabbitcoffee »

Happy Friday! We are developing a new espresso blend here in Panama using all local coffees. I'd love to hear how you prefer your espresso. Do you like a darker bean with chocolate notes that works really well for lattes and such? Do you prefer a bit lighter and acidic shot with some fruit notes for Americano style drinks? Do you use both? Which is easier to pull shots with?

bznelson91
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by bznelson91 »

I guess I'm an outlier that likes fruit bombs with milk. No chocolates or nuts.

Brad

CSME9

#3: Post by CSME9 »

Med-slight dark with chocolate notes, syrupy. I found your jack rabbit blend to be too bright. :D

guyy

#4: Post by guyy »

Never with milk.

I like a lot of tastes, especially florals and stone fruits. However, i don't like all the acid in today's trendy coffees. Just a little to tickle the tongue is enough.

BaristaBoy E61

#5: Post by BaristaBoy E61 »

Darker roasts with chocolate notes. Double shot in 5-½ oz ceramic cup with whole milk that has a splash of ½ & ½ 10% cream.

Oh, the sacrilege, dark beans with milk & cream.

'The horror, the horror.'
"You didn't buy an Espresso Machine - You bought a Chemistry Set!"

gobucks

#6: Post by gobucks »

bznelson91 wrote:I guess I'm an outlier that likes fruit bombs with milk. No chocolates or nuts.

Brad
I was really surprised that I liked this as well - I was really impressed by Black and White's The Natural as a flat white.

In general, I'm probably 2:1 straight espresso to milk drinks. I like a flat white or cortado first thing in the morning, maybe with a pastry, and then in the afternoon (or sometimes after dinner) I like straight espresso. Roast wise, I'd say my tastes lean towards "darkest they have at a third wave shop", i.e. maybe a full city or vienna roast. I like natural washed moreso than washed light roast coffees.

Elagins

#7: Post by Elagins »

I drink my espresso straight; generally 2:1 extraction and I prefer medium/light-medium roasts that offer balance between fruit and sugars.

another_jim
Team HB

#8: Post by another_jim »

I make an 18 gram double of a medium dark coffee for my breakfast cappa; and move on to 7.5 grams singles with lighter roasts for the rest of the day. I hardly know anyone, especially among coffee hobbyists, who does not have both milk drinks and straight shots.

So why in the world would you want to shoe horn two completely different drinks into one blend? Consider making a cappa blend and a straight espresso blend.
Jim Schulman

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by JohnB. »

another_jim wrote:I hardly know anyone, especially among coffee hobbyists, who does not have both milk drinks and straight shots.
We do exist. I've never enjoyed the taste of steamed milk. Straight shots and Americanos here. City+ - Full City roasts.
LMWDP 267

guyy

#10: Post by guyy replying to JohnB. »

I think a lot of people avoid milk for one reason or another. Of those who avoid, some substitute oat milk or whatever, but others just have their coffee straight.

My feeling as someone who drinks it straight is that if i don't like milk, why am i going to bother with substituting something milk-like into my coffee. No thanks, just coffee please.