Hello from Weber Workshops (& KEY Grinder details) - Page 2

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
kidloco

#11: Post by kidloco »

What difference in the cup can someone moving from Niche expect? I think this is important question for the people who are maybe ready for upgrade...

pastapastapasta

#12: Post by pastapastapasta »

This is exactly the question I need to know the answer to before I'll purchase the Key. On paper, I really want one. But if I don't actually know if it's a true upgrade it makes me very hesitant.

sethde

#13: Post by sethde »

I have a Niche and the exact same question. What do you think, Douglas?

Jshot
Supporter ♡

#14: Post by Jshot »

I think it depends on which aspect of the Niche you intend to upgrade.

For me, there are four. In the cup, workflow, build quality and appearance.

In the cup? Bigger burrs does not necessarily translate to better quality so it'll be a toss up until I compare.

Workflow? Should be with built in WDT, tumbler and potentially less retention.

Build quality? For sure

Appearance? I think so.

So, for me, even if it's a marginal increase in the cup, it's a winner. If I want more of a guarantee of increased cup quality I would buy the Kafatek MC4.

Auctor

#15: Post by Auctor »

I'm not sure how you're able to say that Kafatek is better than Key without trying them. The dual grind method of the MC4 is different, but I don't know that I've ever read any proper comparisons between the MC4 and the HG-1 for instance.

To help with some folks' research, I found an old thread that helped me when I eventually purchased the HG-1, which I believe uses the same burrs as the HG-2 and the Key. A few folks have had different experience comparing the Niche with the HG-1.

Niche Zero vs HG-1

spartacurse

#16: Post by spartacurse »

Hi Douglas,

What is the material for the bristle? If it made from animal like Pig, hog or horse? Can it be replace with synthetic bristle like nylon or polyster?

Thanks

baldheadracing
Team HB

#17: Post by baldheadracing replying to spartacurse »

He mentioned on Instagram that the brush was boar hair, but the tips are replaceable and they will be making a nylon brush tip.
-"Good quality brings happiness as you use it" - Nobuho Miya, Kamasada

Steveholt

#18: Post by Steveholt »

Do we know what time this is going live on Tuesday?
Will launch price units be of limited supply?

And a question I picked up on another forum, with the TiN coating, will the burrs require significant seasoning?

rhtrevino
Supporter ♡

#19: Post by rhtrevino »

Steveholt wrote:Do we know what time this is going live on Tuesday?
Will launch price units be of limited supply?

And a question I picked up on another forum, with the TiN coating, will the burrs require significant seasoning?
I've got the same questions re: timing of the launch. According to their website there's at least some amount of seasoning that happens prior to purchase with the HG-2 so I wonder if it's the same here?
The HG-2 is still built around the massive 83mm conical burr set. We source our burrs exclusively from Mazzer, but apply our own unique secondary processes to partially season and make them suitable for hand-grinding, and then seal in the edge with a life-prolonging and completely food safe TiN coating.

Auctor

#20: Post by Auctor »

Steveholt wrote: And a question I picked up on another forum, with the TiN coating, will the burrs require significant seasoning?
Based on the HG-1's performance, the burrs will work out of the box and you'll get great coffee. That said, 15-20 pounds of seasoning definitely improved the ease of grinding (not relevant for the Key, obviously, but seasoning did lead to a change). I'm not sure that seasoning truly impacted flavor.