Hello from OPTION-O! Officially new to the HB family!

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
OPTION-O
Sponsor

#1: Post by OPTION-O »

Hi everyone,

This is Sam from OPTION-O! Some of you may know me (samuellaw178) from way back, and I am forever grateful to Home Barista for the coffee journey it's been, knowledge that I've gained and friends I've met over coffee over the years. This time around I will be on this official account here representing OPTION-O. In my role at OPTION-O, I help with handling communication, customer support, market feedback, and more (no fancy titles here...we're a small but passionate team). But I am super honoured to be participating in a different capacity on HB!

Why we are here:

Our primary reason for being here is to directly connect with our users and engage with fellow coffee enthusiasts. As mentioned, HB played a huge part in my coffee journey and I know there're a lot of you out here over the years too. I suggested to our team that we should join HB because it allows us to connect more closely with our user base, understand your needs, and provide better support. So, here we are! :D Other than that, I hope we can participate and engage the other coffee enthusiasts in interesting discussion (with full disclosure of my association and within the bound of HB rules of course). I also aim to share and bring you upcoming new/events or releases from OPTION-O that I think would be of interest to HBers; and speaking of which, we do have a lot of exciting things in the pipeline (in case you're not on social media constantly, and HB is your primary source of coffee news like I am). Of course I am also open to ideas what you would like to see.

Who we are

I consider our team to be mostly a bunch of fun-loving coffee enthusiasts and home-baristas (that just happen to be together in a company that makes coffee grinders). Broadly speaking, our mission is to deliver products that bring joy to our users and grinders that meet our own expectation as a home barista. OPTION-O started because our founders wanted to create beautiful functional grinders that they would be happy using at home, and of course making great coffee is a must! Those sentiment seems to resonate with many coffee enthusiasts and home baristas; as a result our user base had grown over time. The team has grown since but that core value remains true to this day. As our users, you may also noticed we often drew inspiration from the big tech (Apple); a cringey thing to say these days I know, but they are popular for a reason! And a fun fact, our name OPTION-O is inspired by Mac too. If you typed Option+O on a Mac keyboard, you will get ø, which represents diameter in engineering and it represents precision which is one of our core values.

We (by we I meant the team, I don't take credit for most of the things we did!) often try to think out of the box and push the boundaries. So we are big on experimenting, constantly testing new designs, and some new designs we brought to the market which I personally think had helped shape the coffee scene in its own way (e.g. the LAGOM P64 was one of the first, if not the first, purpose-built 64mm single-dosing grinder in the 64mm SD grinder landscapes and set the bar as it is today, IMO of course, the super cute LAGOM mini which seem to lead the small electric conical single-dosing grinder space, and the LAGOM P100 which was our ground-up design as a tribute to those who are chasing the perfection). And I hope there will be more to come!

One of our latest exciting projects are in the burrs space; we believe burrs are key to a grinder and we would love to explore more, so you can expect to hear more on that front too; we've just announced the Mizen 98mm yesterday too. To set the expectation though, R&D takes time so don't expect too many things to happen immediately haha, but they will be coming along when we are ready to share. Of course not every attempt is always as rosy or as successful as we hoped, but we learned and improved through each trials and that helped us make better products overall and achieve a much better hit rate over time. We have a diverse team with different experiences and we are glad to have made a lots of friends over the years. There're always a lot of interesting things happening in the background and I hope I can share some of that here, and perhaps get you excited about what the future brings and hopefully improve your coffee enjoyment in the process.

What this is not

Just to make sure the expectation is clear, this is not a customer service/support (CS) helpdesk, as we have a team over here with ticketing system to manage in (I think we've received over 4000 tickets just this year alone :shock: ). But we're always happy to exchange ideas or have discussion that might be useful or interesting. So if you have any order specific inquiries, I apologize in advance if I had to direct you reach out to our friendly CS team (I am on there as well as one of the CS team members), so we can best help you over there one on one. Also, I hope our presence here doesn't appear to be solely promotional (or at least not all of it), rather, I prefer this to be an engagement with two-way interactions and keeping it fun with the community. Community interaction is one thing I really enjoyed about coffee and in that spirit I hope I can continue doing that.

Anyhow, thanks for reading and just want to say hi! (especially to some of the older friends out there, sorry for my absence, between OO, my day job as a scientist/biotech engineer and life, they had kept me busy!). If you have any feedback (good or bad, as long as it's respectful and civil haha, which I can pass along to our team), what you'd be interested from us or want us to hear, this can be a good place to reach us directly! I am here on behalf of OPTION-O and would be happy to discuss most things within the boundary of what I can share (as well as within the bound of HB forum rules of course).

At the end of the day, I believe we're all here because we love coffee and we want to make better coffee (and enjoy the different aspect of the journey: some enjoy the process/ritual, some enjoy the beverage, some enjoy exploring the variety/novelty, some enjoy the gear-geekery, like I do personally), I think we should get along fine!

Best regards
Sam
on behalf of OPTION-O team

Jeff
Team HB

#2: Post by Jeff »

Sam has been a strong contributor on other forums and I'm excited Option-O is going to be able to more directly interact with members of the H-B community.

This is a double surprise for me, between Option-O joining and finding out who "Sam" really is!

jasiano

#3: Post by jasiano »

I'm just here to ask when the 01 will be launched :D
-Jason

Down Under

OPTION-O (original poster)
Sponsor

#4: Post by OPTION-O (original poster) »

Jeff wrote:Sam has been a strong contributor on other forums and I'm excited Option-O is going to be able to more directly interact with members of the H-B community.

This is a double surprise for me, between Option-O joining and finding out who "Sam" really is!
Thanks Jeff for the very kind words!! I do remember seeing a similar avatar and the same Jeff handlename elsewhere,it's great to see you here too! :D
jasiano wrote:I'm just here to ask when the 01 will be launched :D
I think I've said this a few times to some even back in early August, but it's soon! (for real this time :oops: ) Our self-imposed deadline is the end of the month (which is today), so you should hear more from us hopefully in a day (or two haha).

Bleep4032

#5: Post by Bleep4032 »

Great to see you on HB! Recently purchased a p64 and I love it, looking forward to seeing the 01 though.

Are there any plans in the works to eventually add an auto rpm climb up to the p64 like on the p100?

NicaDon

#6: Post by NicaDon »

Thank you, Sam. I have used hand grinders for the better part of a decade. I now travel virtually rear round and considering the Mini as a part of my kit. There were a few compact powered grinders announced near the same time but the small burr sizes and concerns of reliability with my drinking exclusively espresso made me a little cautious. I must admit I'm happy I waited.

It's nice to see Option-O continue to improve and refine the Mini with larger burrs and other changes and look forward to having one in the near future.
LMWDP #730

Sponsor

#7: Post by OPTION-O (original poster) »

Bleep4032 wrote:Great to see you on HB! Recently purchased a p64 and I love it, looking forward to seeing the 01 though.

Are there any plans in the works to eventually add an auto rpm climb up to the p64 like on the p100?
Thanks Chris, I'm glad to hear from another P64 fellow! As for the RPM feature, I think it's a good suggestion, definitely something for us to consider!

Oh, and the 01 is finally official and live on our website. :lol: I will gather some information tomorrow and post a HB version (perhaps it's better to post that in a separate thread).
NicaDon wrote:Thank you, Sam. I have used hand grinders for the better part of a decade. I now travel virtually rear round and considering the Mini as a part of my kit. There were a few compact powered grinders announced near the same time but the small burr sizes and concerns of reliability with my drinking exclusively espresso made me a little cautious. I must admit I'm happy I waited.

It's nice to see Option-O continue to improve and refine the Mini with larger burrs and other changes and look forward to having one in the near future.
A hand grinder is definitely a great choice (especially with recent hand grinder innovation I am seeing) and they have their own charm. I was a hand grinder user too previously, and have many fond memories with them (OE Lido, OE Pharos, Portaspresso Rosco Mini, Helor) before I got spoiled with choice of electric grinders and there's not much need for travel (thanks Covid hah) :lol: To this day, I still keep a hand grinder as a backup, they are still fantastic for travel when I actually need to travel light (where the mini is not feasible).

Znekcihc

#8: Post by Znekcihc »

I dream of the day I own a p64.
Looking forward to the 01.

Thank you for the beautiful designs

Jake_G
Team HB

#9: Post by Jake_G »

Welcome Option-O!

I must confess, Sam. I am in the same boat as Jeff, and even though I knew that you were working with Option-O, I had no idea that Sam from Option-O was you :oops:

I gotta go scope out the 01!
LMWDP #704

Sponsor

#10: Post by OPTION-O (original poster) »

Thanks Jake! Glad to be here/back (now I have a reason to force myself to be posting more haha). Ahh, I had no idea, I thought it was obvious (especially to the team HB), I should've said hi then. :oops: I guess it's not too late, now we know!