Flair Espresso news - Page 7

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
vit

#61: Post by vit »

Yes, I'm doing the same with silicone edged shower screen. In addition to that, I mounted a small screw in the middle of it (similar to pin on Robot shower screen), so it's easy to pull it out after extraction

Flair Espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#62: Post by Flair Espresso (original poster) »

For the time being, I only have this one unit to work with so I can't be drilling holes, glueing or modify in any way that isn't 100% reversible when I need to brew or demonstrate outside of these tests. Also, as you'll see in the videos, water boils at 92C at my home so I'm limited by that as well. I'll try to figure out a way to plug the stem better to hold internal pressure in the future but for those interested in additional temp studies, I made a few quick videos below:

Advertisement
Sponsor

#63: Post by Flair Espresso (original poster) »

vit wrote:Blank basket would explain big heat loss if there was no shower screen. However - at least on Classic, if you plug the spout of empty portafilter, put the shower screen on it, mount the cylinder and pour the water, it will not fill the basket. There will be only a few millimeters of water at the bottom, while air from the basket won't go up through the small holes in the shower screen. My assumption was that the same would be on Flair 58, and since there is no direct contact of water above the shower screen and much colder water in the blank basket, there won't be much heat exchange either

However, looking again at his video, it seems that, unlike in Classic, lots of bubbles is coming from below, which might be a sign that the basket was actually filled with water and shower screen came in direct contact with much colder water, so that measurement was quite different from real conditions while pulling the espresso, hence useless

As I understand, you actually tested Flair 58 and measured stream temperature up to 93°C, which is similar to my measurements on Classic (see previous page). In that case, everything is fine ...
here i was careful about placement of the thermocouple and kept it off the shower screen itself so that it would not be influenced by the temperature of the air pocket below

Sponsor

#64: Post by Flair Espresso (original poster) »

measuring the stream temperature

K7

#65: Post by K7 »

~86C on the output stream seems good considering the input water was only 92C. I think Aaron on FB reported 90-93C on his test, which I presume used ~100C water. Looking very promising.

Sponsor

#66: Post by Flair Espresso (original poster) »

Yes I seem to recall @instantkamera was starting with higher than 92C. That's all I have to work with here though at 8,000 ft elevation.

Playlist for these studies can be found here. I just added a temperature stability with power cut to it list of videos: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... 37pYoulWFK

madaeko

#67: Post by madaeko »

I greatly appreciate these efforts to generate data on the temperature during extraction with the 58! As someone who lives where water boils at 95C, enjoys light roasts, and is too lazy to do much work to manually heat up parts, I've been hesitant on acquiring a manual machine, that is, until hearing of the 58. Seeing results like these will definitely ease my hesitancy.

Advertisement
Sponsor

#68: Post by Flair Espresso (original poster) »

Hey All,

Finally have a chance to pop back up for air following an extremely fun, but exhausting, weekend in Boston at the SCA Expo. We wanted to share some photos from the event and also let you know that today is the last day in our 15% OFF Anniversary Sale for the Flair 58--1 yr since launch, first discount offered. Apologize for the late notice if this is the first you're hearing of it (we have been running banner ads on H-B all week). Sale ends tonight (midnight pst).

Next up, Milan WOC! Hope to see some of you there.

fliz

#69: Post by fliz »

has anybody successfully powered a flair 58 using a 12v lighter socket?

I just purchased a 12v 24v step up DC converter and will report back here.

Sponsor

#70: Post by Flair Espresso (original poster) »

Wanted to share with our H-B friends that we've partnered with Option-O on a giveaway going on now through Monday the 23rd at 3 pm EDT.

Winner will receive a PRO2 and Lagom Mini grinder, a perfect pairing for espresso at home, the office or on the go.

To enter the contest, head here >> https://flairespresso.com/flair-giveaway/ << Good Luck!