Fellow news and information! - Page 24

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Moka 1 Cup

#231: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

fellowproducts wrote:...
Also, nice to hear that you purchased based on me wanting to help the community! That's my only goal and I'm glad that it helped give you confidence in your purchase decision...
This was a major factor for me as well, when I decided to buy the Ode (Gen 2).
fellowproducts wrote:... Ode has very minimal retention inside and it will just get exchanged over time. I'd keep it together and just grind away....
Do you recommend running some beans in order to expel coffee ground that has been sitting there since the day before, or would that be a total waste of good coffee because of the minimal retention?
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

fellowproducts (original poster)
Sponsor

#232: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

Moka 1 Cup wrote:This was a major factor for me as well, when I decided to buy the Ode (Gen 2).

Do you recommend running some beans in order to expel coffee ground that has been sitting there since the day before, or would that be a total waste of good coffee because of the minimal retention?
Purging is totally up to you. I have never double blinded between a purge and non-purge scenario, but I always tend to run 1g of coffee through to clean out any exchange. It's a habit that I picked up very early on in my coffee career, and it just kind of stuck with me.

Nick

fhyrew

#233: Post by fhyrew »

I've been getting a ton of grind retention lately, despite cleaning the ionizer pins after every grind (which I know isn't supposed to be necessary). Any ideas what could cause this?

Sponsor

#234: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to fhyrew »

Is it with one particular coffee or every coffee? I have noticed that some coffees generate more microfines than others, which can cause the ionizer to function at a lower level than others.

If it persists, please send an email to hello@fellowproducts.com and we'll help you out!

Nick

fhyrew

#235: Post by fhyrew »

Thanks, Nick. It's happening with all the coffees I have in stock right now, all of which are (as always) light roast single origins.

I put my ear against the right side and listened on my latest grind just now and I did NOT hear a buzzing after the motor shut off. Granted, I never really listened for the buzz or lack thereof before, so I don't have a great frame of reference, but that plus the consistent high retention has me concerned that my ionizer might not be working properly. Any thoughts on next steps? Thanks!

Edit: image below shows retention after grinding 27g of a light roast Burundi natural

ira
Team HB

#236: Post by ira »

Coffee has a lot of static. If you have a coffee with to much static, you can add a very small amount to water to the beans, 1 or 2 drops stirred in is probably enough or at the end of grinding, place a finger about 1" from the rear of the hopper cover and press down gently, then lift up the front 1/2" or so and let the cover snap closed, that will usually blow the rest of the coffee out.

Intrepid510

#237: Post by Intrepid510 »

Look at some YouTube videos of the gen 1 complaints of static.

Unfortunately the gen 2 is not static free but much better. I had kinda thought when I first got the gen 2 I had a defective one but then never having a gen 1 looked at what other people had with the gen 1... at that point realized it's much better just coffee grinding is a messy affair.

skittles_s

#238: Post by skittles_s »

Nick,

Is the standard Corvo body compatible with any of the EKG based: standard, pro, or studio? Thinking of a new gooseneck for me and a standard kettle for my wife's tea.

Thanks!

Moka 1 Cup

#239: Post by Moka 1 Cup »

fellowproducts wrote:Purging is totally up to you. I have never double blinded between a purge and non-purge scenario, but I always tend to run 1g of coffee through to clean out any exchange. It's a habit that I picked up very early on in my coffee career, and it just kind of stuck with me.

Nick
Thank you for your reply. I did try it and did not noticed any difference. Also, I see that what comes out of the grinder is always what I put in the hopper, and I am not adding any water. So far I have been very happy with the Ode 2.
I had an issue with one coffee, getting stuck just before the exit (similar to the picture above). I assume the ionizer does not work on the ground coffee before it passes in front of the device. However it has happened only a couple of times and now it seems to be super clean.

May I ask if the release of the Tally scale still confirmed for June (hopefully June 1st :D )?
The scale I am currently using is dying...
Life, Liberty and The Pursuit of Happiness.

Sponsor

#240: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

skittles_s wrote:Nick,

Is the standard Corvo body compatible with any of the EKG based: standard, pro, or studio? Thinking of a new gooseneck for me and a standard kettle for my wife's tea.

Thanks!
The standard Stagg EKG is compatible with the standard Corvo EKG, but standard EKG and EKG Pro and Pro Studio cannot be mixed.

Corvo Pro and EKG Pro are interchangeable, but I do not recommend it since we calibrate every kettle to every base in the Pro series for the best possible thermal accuracy.

Nick