Fellow news and information! - Page 20

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
fellowproducts (original poster)
Sponsor

#191: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

hatamoto wrote:However there is one thing that bothers me and I wanted to know if it is just my unit or maybe this is a more common problem...
Hi there,

Yes this can happen due to positional tolerances of how everything stacks together. One thing that I like to do is remove the front faceplate and see if I can adjust its position a bit to minimize this. The front faceplate is held on by the 4 small spring pins on the sides of the unit, and usually I can adjust it enough to minimize contact.

Apologize for the headache here; but since it does not impact grinder function in any way I would recommend that you keep the unit. There may be a chance if you return it the next one will have the same slight touching at certain grinding positions.

Other than that, I am glad the coffee it's making is nice. Please let me know if I can help with anything else.

Nick

fhyrew

#192: Post by fhyrew »

Shenrei wrote:Edit: I should've let Nick answer but I replied before looking at the topic and I can't delete my post.
No problem at all. I know Nick watches this thread and hope he'll respond to my query, but I'm happy to receive knowledge from anyone here!

Advertisement
Sponsor

#193: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

Hey there,

Tim is absolutely right. Every coffee is going to fracture differently based on many factors. Natural coffees and high grown washed Ethiopian coffees typically just generate more fines than some other regions and processing methods.

I can have a washed coffee from Guatemala run 2:30 at the same grind setting and recipe that a natural will take 4 minutes on. At the end of the day you have to tailor the recipe to the coffee. More fines? Try and agitate less. Coffee is running super fast? Grind a bit finer.

Also I know that this may seem counter intuitive, but sometimes the answer is not grinding coarser. If you are working with a lightly roasted coffee where you're experiencing filter clogging, going too coarse may produce uneven extraction (sour and bitter at the same time in the cup), so I'd actually recommend grinding a bit finer and brewing with lower agitation.

Additionally, many people experiment with different paper filters for their chosen brew method, which will have a massive impact on draw down time and extraction. For example, a Sibarist or a Cafe Abaca Medium roast filter will draw down much faster than a stock Hario V60 filter. There are lots of variables at play.

Please let me know how else I can help!

Nick

fhyrew

#194: Post by fhyrew »

Thanks, Nick. I have gotten better results the past couple days with the coffees I mentioned by going coarser, but I'll keep in mind that that isn't always the best move.

Before I found Hoffman's pourover method, I never did any stirring or swirling during my brews (just the post-brew, pre-pour swirl), so I could try skipping the stir or one or both swirls and see where that gets me too.

Sarah888

#195: Post by Sarah888 »

Hi Nick- the manual for the Ode Gen 2 states "Before making grind adjustments, run the grinder to clear any leftover coffee beans.". It doesn't specifically say to keep grinder On while moving the dial. (though maybe that's implied) I've read in general a grinder should be on when adjusting grind finer. Can you please comment on this for the Ode 2.

Lastly, I forgot to turn on grinder today when adjusting from 10 to 4; do you think I've damaged the grinder?

Sponsor

#196: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to Sarah888 »

Please always adjust the grind finer with the motor on. It's the best way to guarantee you aren't compressing coffee particles and locking up the burrs.

You definitely didn't do any damage at all! Worst thing that can happen is the burrs bind and the motor won't spin. A quick change on the dial coarser and then adjusting finer with the motor on will get you back to where you need to be if that ever happens.

Nick

Sarah888

#197: Post by Sarah888 »

Thank you Nick! I actually just saw your video video explaining this. Are you ever going to make a video on how to clean the burrs? I read to clean them after 60 cycles and also read every 3 months. What do you suggest if I use the grinder once or twice a day to brew only light or lightish medium?

I love the Ode btw. I think it's awesome you're out here giving advise and interacting with the public; it's part of why I made the purchase.

Advertisement
Jimmy_The_Saint

#198: Post by Jimmy_The_Saint »

Hey guys,

I've had the Ode 2 about 6 weeks (after returning the v1 due to mess).

Grind quality is amazing and im really enjoying the results in the cup and the speed of it.

However despite only grinding 30g per day, im getting massive static related mess very regularly, im having to clean the chute and ionizer pins every 2 days otherwise I get grounds all over the cup and the base.

It was fine for about a month.

Is there anything I can do? I don't mind cleaning once a week but every other day isn't ideal.

Sponsor

#199: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

Sarah888 wrote:Thank you Nick! I actually just saw your video video explaining this. Are you ever going to make a video on how to clean the burrs? I read to clean them after 60 cycles and also read every 3 months. What do you suggest if I use the grinder once or twice a day to brew only light or lightish medium?

I love the Ode btw. I think it's awesome you're out here giving advise and interacting with the public; it's part of why I made the purchase.
I actually recommended to our team that we remove the guidance of opening the grinder to clean the burrs. With most home use, it will never be necessary; especially for people grinding light and medium roasts. I have Odes I've been using for 2+ years that I have never cleaned that are still working and tasting great. Ode has very minimal retention inside and it will just get exchanged over time. I'd keep it together and just grind away.

Also, nice to hear that you purchased based on me wanting to help the community! That's my only goal and I'm glad that it helped give you confidence in your purchase decision.

Anything else I can help with just let me know. Thank you!

Nick

Sponsor

#200: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

Jimmy_The_Saint wrote:Hey guys,

I've had the Ode 2 about 6 weeks (after returning the v1 due to mess).

Grind quality is amazing and im really enjoying the results in the cup and the speed of it.

However despite only grinding 30g per day, im getting massive static related mess very regularly, im having to clean the chute and ionizer pins every 2 days otherwise I get grounds all over the cup and the base.

It was fine for about a month.

Is there anything I can do? I don't mind cleaning once a week but every other day isn't ideal.
Different coffees can produce different results with regard to static. Coffees that generate more microfines will cause the grinder to need to be cleaned more often. Can you put your ear up to the RIGHT side of the grinder to see if you can hear the ionizer working after the motor stops? You should hear a slight buzzing for 2-3 seconds once it shuts down.

If you can hear the buzz and there is no static for the first few grinds, it may just be a coffee that is causing the pins to be covered in dust quicker than some other ones. Happy to keep troubleshooting to get you sorted.

Thanks,

Nick