Fellow news and information! - Page 16

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
fellowproducts (original poster)
Sponsor

#151: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

Glacier21 wrote:Hey Nick, Opus looks super intriguing! I was wondering - I have SSP burrs that came with my Ode Gen 2, they are marvelous with light-med roasts but maybe a bit too specialized (clear, thin?) with darker roasts for my one/only brew grinder. Would Opus provide a more chocolate-y/fuller profile counterpoint? Thinking two brew grinders could help keep those SSPs in action for special duty.

I just swapped the SSPs out for the gen 2 burrs, and they are definitely more of that choco-nut profile. But I bet I'll miss the SSPs.

Thank you!
The filter profile from Opus may be what you're looking for as a counterpoint to the high clarity SSP burrs in Ode. As I was reading your comment, I was going to suggest the Gen 2 burrs, but it seems like you've given them a shot! I can understand your predicament. At home on my test bench I have a Gen 2 Ode next to an SSP Ode, and taste coffees off of each of them every other day, switching back and forth. :D

Reviews for Opus will be coming soon. I think people will be able to learn a lot from people who are using the grinder other than our internal team.

Nick

CoffeeIsWeird

#152: Post by CoffeeIsWeird »

Going back to kettles for a moment, I was wondering if preventing kettle from boiling when no water has been added is possible.

Occasionally, I have made a silly mistake of forgetting to add water but then triggering boiling, which can very quickly result in burnt smell. It would be great if a water level probe could detect that situation and save the user from dangerous actions.

It's a bit like grinding beans but forgetting to put the catching cup under the spout - except with potentially worse consequences ;-)

Sponsor

#153: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to CoffeeIsWeird »

That safety actually already exists; it just takes some time for the kettle to understand no water is inside before the shutoff occurs.

From our manual:

"• DO NOT HEAT AN EMPTY KETTLE: The concealed heating element in the bottom of the kettle is
protected by an automatic safety device. If your kettle is accidentally heated without being filled or is
allowed to boil dry, it will automatically cool down and then turn off. If this happens, unplug the kettle,
fill with cold water, and wait a few minutes before replacing it on the base and plugging in."

Nick

fhyrew

#154: Post by fhyrew »

Hi, all. I'm a new Ode Gen 2 owner with the Gen 2 burrs (no SSP) and also new to these boards. Every day I brew a 750 ml Chemex pourover for myself and my wife in the morning, and a smaller (usually 400-500 ml) second and sometimes third coffee for myself later, also on the Chemex. I mainly use single-origin light roasts (by American standards, e.g., Brandywine, Tandem, Passenger, etc.) with coffee-to-water ratios in 1:15-1:17 range.

I'm having some difficulty making the transition from my tried-and-true Bartaza Encore to the Ode. I ensured that I'm calibrated to one click right of chirp and have been grinding mostly in the 7-10 range for my Chemex brews. I got a really good cup of the Loveless Ethiopia Layo grinding at 9 and another good cup of a Mexican coffee from Small Planes at 8, but other than that have had middling to bad results compared to what I usually get with the old Encore. I struggle with telling sour and bitter apart, but I think I've mostly been off to the sour side of things, although I have been getting longer drawdown times, so maybe I'm misinterpreting my taste buds and actually overextracting. So, I have a few questions:

(1) If you use Chemex, what grind range are you using on the Ode? What kind of drawdown times do you usually have?

(2) How much do you adjust your grind size for batch size or coffee origin/density?

(3) How long did it take to "break in" your Ode? I went ahead and ordered 6 pounds of an "odds and ends" roast that Small Planes sells at a reduced price to run some through for seasoning/breaking in purposes. Did anyone else do something similar and do you think it was worth it?

Thanks, and I'd appreciate any other general/tips experiences from folks who have been in similar situations.

Sponsor

#155: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to fhyrew »

What are your draw down times like for your brews? This may seem counter intuitive, but try and grind finer and see how the coffee tastes. Draw down times can vary widely based on the coffee.

In terms of seasoning, these burrs need a good 5-6 pounds to hit their stride. If you do season, I recommend doing it a little at a time with periods for Ode's motor and burrs to cool off.

Nick

fhyrew

#156: Post by fhyrew replying to fellowproducts »

Hey Nick, the Loveless that turned out nicely took 3:25 for 450 ml/27 g.

The less successful brews have mostly been in the 3-3:50 range for those smaller brews and 4-5+ range for larger (750/45) brews.

How much finer would you recommend trying?

Thanks!

Sponsor

#157: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to fhyrew »

I think you may be under extracting the larger brews. The lower on the dial you are with the Gen 2 burrs, the better the particle distribution is going to be. When I hear "sour" I think under extraction. For your larger brew tomorrow, try 1 click under 7 and see how the coffee turns out.

Typically when I dial in a coffee, I start coarse and then push finer until the coffee starts to taste astringent. Please give that a go and let me know how it works out.

Nick

CoffeeIsWeird

#158: Post by CoffeeIsWeird »

That safety actually already exists; it just takes some time for the kettle to understand no water is inside before the shutoff occurs.

From our manual:

"• DO NOT HEAT AN EMPTY KETTLE: The concealed heating element in the bottom of the kettle is
protected by an automatic safety device. If your kettle is accidentally heated without being filled or is
allowed to boil dry, it will automatically cool down and then turn off. If this happens, unplug the kettle,
fill with cold water, and wait a few minutes before replacing it on the base and plugging in."

Nick
Hi Nick,

thanks for the reply. Much appreciated.

Do you think missing water could be detected before any boiling starts? I always followed the procedure you described, but at that point the burning smell was already there.

I wish it could be prevented right at the beginning.

Apology if this is a silly idea to somebody more technical than me ;-)

Sponsor

#159: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to CoffeeIsWeird »

I can't go into too many technical details, I'm sorry. As much as I would like to I know that I cannot share information like this.

With the EKG V1, we shut it down as soon as we can. It's more of a "true safety" to prevent any risk versus a "let the user know no water exists" feature. With the new EKG Pro and Pro Studio units that have firmware updates over the air, we are always working toward improving the product and users can get updated functionality over time for free. :)

Nick

CoffeeIsWeird

#160: Post by CoffeeIsWeird »

Thank you Nick. I am looking forward to the new models being available here in Europe. It would be lovely if they included this feature as well at some point in the future. Cheers!