Fellow news and information! - Page 13

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
fellowproducts (original poster)
Sponsor

#121: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

nameisjoey wrote:Hey Nick,

I just tested it when I got home from work. After running it a couple times and making sure, I did not hear any crackle from the anti static. I only hear what I think is the motor and the burrs. Nothing that resembles a crackle or static.

Where do I go from here?
Can you submit a self return? I believe this unit is defective. I'll make sure it comes back to HQ so I can do a failure analysis on it.

https://fellow.readyreturns.com/en/search-order/

We'll get you taken care of!

Nick

nameisjoey

#122: Post by nameisjoey replying to fellowproducts »

Thanks Nick, will do. Much appreciated!

What's the quickest way to receive a replacement unit when doing this? A return, warranty, or store credit?

Sponsor

#123: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to nameisjoey »

I think the fastest way would be to do a return, send back to get your money back, and purchase a new one. Otherwise we have to make you a return label and see it as dropped off at the carrier before we can ship you a new one.

Any trouble just drop me a line. Really apologize for the inconvenience. I have only seen the ionizer fail on one other unit since production started. I'll root cause this and find ways to improve the product.

Nick

templeofstupid

#124: Post by templeofstupid »

fellowproducts wrote: Secondly, the SSP MP burrs produce more fines than people realize I think.
Hi Nick,
I upgraded from a Baratza Encore (with m2 burrs and rebuilt gears) to an Ode Gen 2 with the SSP burrs last week. I'm primarily brewing Chemex for two (approx 56g/840ml), but will do single pour-overs here and there as well. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the grind dialed in for the Chemex. I think part of my problem is that I'm getting more fines than I previously was and that's clogging up the filter paper. I was curious to get your take on where, approximately, Chemex should be on the dial with these burrs? (I'm at 9 right now, and still heading towards a more coarse grind setting). Do you have any recommendations about ballpark grind settings for this combination of brew method and grinder/burrs? Based upon your comments to Joey, I was also curious if this is the burr set you'd recommend for the brew method? E.g. am I doing something that should work, but just haven't figured it out yet, or am I on an approach that's not going to work well and should consider a different equipment / brewing combination? I'd appreciate any advice you'd be willing to share.

Cheers,

Chris

nameisjoey

#125: Post by nameisjoey »

fellowproducts wrote:I think the fastest way would be to do a return, send back to get your money back, and purchase a new one. Otherwise we have to make you a return label and see it as dropped off at the carrier before we can ship you a new one.

Any trouble just drop me a line. Really apologize for the inconvenience. I have only seen the ionizer fail on one other unit since production started. I'll root cause this and find ways to improve the product.

Nick
Yep, that makes sense. I just purchased a new unit and will send this one back once I receive the new one. I'll PM you the return info so you can do what you need with it.

No worries at all on the issue, stuff happens. I appreciate the support man, definitely appreciated!

Sponsor

#126: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

templeofstupid wrote:Hi Nick,
I upgraded from a Baratza Encore (with m2 burrs and rebuilt gears) to an Ode Gen 2 with the SSP burrs last week. I'm primarily brewing Chemex for two (approx 56g/840ml), but will do single pour-overs here and there as well. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the grind dialed in for the Chemex. I think part of my problem is that I'm getting more fines than I previously was and that's clogging up the filter paper. I was curious to get your take on where, approximately, Chemex should be on the dial with these burrs? (I'm at 9 right now, and still heading towards a more coarse grind setting). Do you have any recommendations about ballpark grind settings for this combination of brew method and grinder/burrs? Based upon your comments to Joey, I was also curious if this is the burr set you'd recommend for the brew method? E.g. am I doing something that should work, but just haven't figured it out yet, or am I on an approach that's not going to work well and should consider a different equipment / brewing combination? I'd appreciate any advice you'd be willing to share.

Cheers,

Chris
Hey Chris,

Happy to help. How much coffee has been run through the burrs so far? In my personal experience with both the SSP MP burrs and the Gen 2 burrs, they need some seasoning to really level out and have the peak tighten.

How is your coffee tasting? Is it bitter and astringent / mouth drying in the finish, or does it still taste sweet even with long drawdowns? Have you done a side by side brew with your old grinder vs. the Ode? I am curious if you're using a coffee that's sort of known to produce more fines (i.e. high grown Ethiopian coffee or a very dense natural coffee) that would have the same result on your old grinder.

Don't be afraid to go coarser if you are over extracting. The Chemex filters are notorious for long drawdowns in my opinion, so I would try and dial in by taste and not time.

Please let me know how else I can help,

Nick

templeofstupid

#127: Post by templeofstupid »

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the response, I appreciate the information. To answer your questions: I've only run about 300-400g through the Ode so far. It's still practically brand new.

The first coffee I brewed on it was a Guatemala El Injerto ET-47. That one I had brewed on the previous grinder. I brewed one pot on 6 and another on 7. I was blown away by the flavors that the Ode was able to bring out of the beans, compared to the previous one. I got too much of everything on those settings, though.

Fellow included a bag of coffee from April in my order and I've been brewing that since. I haven't tried it on the old grinder. I've brewed that one on 8, 8 2/3rds, and 9 and 1/3rd. The 8 was pretty great but the flavors in the coffee have started to vanish as I grind coarser.

The problem that I think I'm having is that I've gotten some portion of the coffee at the right grind size, but the filters are getting clogged with fines and that's slowing down what would be an otherwise great extraction. I had this kind of problem with the previous grinder too, if the grind is too fine.

I haven't specifically been brewing for a particular extraction time. I'm generally aiming to get a stream of coffee that falls off the point on the bottom of the chemex filter. So far, though, the coffee has been slowly dripping throughout the brew, instead of forming a nice stream that runs into the carafe. Not very scientific, I know.

My general technique is a modified 40/60 method. 2x the coffee weight for the pre-infusion, a single pour that takes me to 40% of the water for the brew, followed by 3 more pours to cover the remaining 60. This has served me pretty well with the previous grinder, and was a big improvement over the previous technique of just gradually adding water to the brew as space permitted.

Thanks again,

Chris

Sponsor

#128: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to templeofstupid »

Got it. I have a few suggestions that might help.

1) I have found that the burrs will continually improve over time, with a good mark being around the 5-6lb area. I'd just keep using them as is and you should notice them break in over time.

2) Try not to pay attention to the stream underneath the filter. Some very lightly roasted coffees can be pushed very high in extraction by extending the contact time, and I have found the SSP MP burrs to extract extremely evenly (there isn't much channeling that happens even when going fairly fine), so don't be afraid to extend contact time a bit.

3) With your 5 pour method, you are inducing a lot of agitation into the bed. As an experiment, can you try doing a bloom, followed by a slow, single steady stream with low agitation until your target brew weight? If that's not possible with the grind size you choose; try splitting the weight into 2 pours instead of 4, trying to keep agitation low.

Hope this helps a bit. Keep experimenting and let taste be your guide.

Nick

templeofstupid

#129: Post by templeofstupid »

Hi Nick,
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm happy to keep experimenting. I'll give them a try and report back. May I trouble you to clarify a question I have about the suggestions for improving my brewing procedure? Currently, I start pouring the water in the center of the grounds and then work my way outwards to the edge of the filter in circles. Are you advising that I simply pour slowly into the middle of the grounds and not make those circular motions? I may have to pause to do a second pour on some brews, since I'm using a Stagg EKG and can only get 900mL into the kettle.

Regarding seasoning the burrs, it's likely going to take me about 6-7 weeks to run that much coffee through the grinder as part of making daily coffee. Is Fellow willing extend the window on returning the grinder if I'm absolutely unable to figure it out, or do you advise customers to grind a bunch of throwaway coffee to get things seasoned?

One last worry: the company that Fellow hired to ship the grinder packed the smaller inner box into a much larger box and only put a small piece of brown paper in as packing material. The outer box got pretty banged up in shipping, and all the contents inside were tossed around. The inner box didn't seem to have any dings in the nice cardboard packaging, but I did wonder if any of that bouncing around would have caused any of the problems I'm running into now?

Thanks again!

Chris

Sponsor

#130: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) replying to templeofstupid »

1) Pouring from the center out is totally fine. I suggested doing less pours for agitation because usually when you let the bed drain and hit it with a fresh pour, you really agitate the bed; moreso than when you pour aggressively from a certain height and turn the bed that way. I'd just try and be a bit more gentle and see how things turn out.

2) We cannot extend any warranty return window. I have never run into an Ode with SSP MP burrs that couldn't produce outstanding coffee, ever. Seasoning at one time is also not mandatory at all; it's just something that most people do over time. If you want to do it in one shot, I recommend buying the cheapest light roasted beans you can find and take it slow.

3) I don't think that the packaging was an issue or that it impacted the grinder at all. We do extensive shipping and drop testing to make sure that the grinders can survive quite the journey!

Thanks,

Nick