Fellow news and information! - Page 12

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
radioradio

#111: Post by radioradio »

Very excited for this new grinder Nick. Thanks for the info!

nameisjoey

#112: Post by nameisjoey »

Hey Nick,

I got my Gen 2 Ode with SSP burrs a week and a half ago or so. I've been using it exclusively and so far have been surprised by the amount of fines I am getting. I've been griding between 4-6 for various sized V60 and switch brews. I assume this is likely just due to the unseasoned burrs?

I also have had some grounds drop out of the grinder when the catch cup is removed, like people talked about with the Gen 1. Over the weekend I brushed everything off and used an air blower to push any stray grounds out, as my first use of the grinder retained about a gram or so, surprisingly. Then this morning I ground 30g, used the thwacker a bunch to knock anything out, and then made my brew. Again this morning I found grounds on the magnet. So I snapped a quick picture which I have attached here. Is this normal?

ira
Team HB

#113: Post by ira »

Are you using RDT? A spray from a fine mister or a drop or 3 of water mixed in the the beans before grinding does wonders for taming the Ode. I also find that holding the back edge of the cover in place with one hand and lifting the front edge being careful to keep it all lined up and snapping it closed a couple of times will knock the grounds loose when I forget the water.

nameisjoey

#114: Post by nameisjoey replying to ira »

I thought RDT wasn't necessary with the anti static feature?

ira
Team HB

#115: Post by ira »

It's certainly worth a try, if nothing else, it would demonstrate that anti-static feature is not working. Do you live in a very dry location?

nameisjoey

#116: Post by nameisjoey replying to ira »

Central California, so not necessarily. Currently 47% humidity outside.

Yeah, I will try RDT and see if that helps to confirm the anti-static feature is not working for some reason.

fellowproducts (original poster)
Sponsor

#117: Post by fellowproducts (original poster) »

nameisjoey wrote:Hey Nick,

I got my Gen 2 Ode with SSP burrs a week and a half ago or so. I've been using it exclusively and so far have been surprised by the amount of fines I am getting. I've been griding between 4-6 for various sized V60 and switch brews. I assume this is likely just due to the unseasoned burrs?

I also have had some grounds drop out of the grinder when the catch cup is removed, like people talked about with the Gen 1. Over the weekend I brushed everything off and used an air blower to push any stray grounds out, as my first use of the grinder retained about a gram or so, surprisingly. Then this morning I ground 30g, used the thwacker a bunch to knock anything out, and then made my brew. Again this morning I found grounds on the magnet. So I snapped a quick picture which I have attached here. Is this normal?

Hey Joey,

Some grounds being retained is normal, because the anti-static is outside of the actual chute, but this does seem like more than normal.

Can you do me a favor? Can you turn the grinder on without beans, let it run for about 20 seconds, then shut off the motor and put your ear up to the grinder? You should hear a bit of a crackle for a few seconds (this is the anti-static working).

There may be a chance that your anti-static isn't functioning properly. Happy to work with you to resolve this.

Secondly, the SSP MP burrs produce more fines than people realize I think.

Thanks,

Nick

Jonk

#118: Post by Jonk »

nameisjoey wrote:I've been griding between 4-6 for various sized V60 and switch brews.
That sounds normal to me. I'm usually closer to 6 for V60. I've got well seasoned SSP "unimodal v1" in mine, that should produce slightly lower amount of fines - but I agree with Nick that it's more than many people seem to think.

radioradio

#119: Post by radioradio replying to Jonk »

Same here, between 6 and 7 for my V60 daily. (Ode gen 1 with SSP) I've found that the fines are also very bean dependent. I'm currently drinking a single origin decaf and finding my V60 brews are taking at least a minute longer than the other two beans I've been enjoying.

nameisjoey

#120: Post by nameisjoey »

fellowproducts wrote:
Can you do me a favor? Can you turn the grinder on without beans, let it run for about 20 seconds, then shut off the motor and put your ear up to the grinder? You should hear a bit of a crackle for a few seconds (this is the anti-static working).

There may be a chance that your anti-static isn't functioning properly. Happy to work with you to resolve this.
Hey Nick,

I just tested it when I got home from work. After running it a couple times and making sure, I did not hear any crackle from the anti static. I only hear what I think is the motor and the burrs. Nothing that resembles a crackle or static.

Where do I go from here?