Decent Espresso news - Page 84

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#831: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

mathof wrote:Thanks very much. That 3D tamper looks like the right answer.
It works well, as it has a 58mm tamper top part to the tamping base, which aligns it into the smaller inside basket.

mathof

#832: Post by mathof »

Is the result that all of the coffee is contained in the inside basket, or that some of it remains on the sloping sides? When I tried, the central well was too shallow to contain 7g of coffee, although ground very fine.

Cerini Coffee & Gifts: official US importer for Olympia Express
Sponsored by Cerini Coffee & Gifts
Decent Paul
Sponsor

#833: Post by Decent Paul »

Starting soon; We dive back into extractions this week as we get the rare opportunity to test out two very different grinders on the DE1.

The Niche 0 is a 'robur' grinder, which we have been using here in the factory and the Newly released 'Flat' burr grinder from Lagom, the P100.

We will use the Rao Allonge preset for both grinders and demo what we can expect on the graphs and in the shots extracted. Of course we will recommend tips on improving accuracy from your workflow and how I have been tuning each grinder.

As always feel free to join in with a brew and ask any questions you may have or just come on and say hi.

If you missed lasts weeks topic on flow calibration you can find it below:

Summary version:
[youtube]://youtu.be/YOOi0aIwfA4[/youtube]

Full zoom:
[youtube]://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr9_sFbhwIs[/youtube]

Time of Zoom call:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ... 224&p4=179

- Hong Kong, HK, Sun 10th Oct 2021 - 9am-11am
- New York, NY, Sat 9th Oct 2021 - 9pm-11pm
- San Francisco, CA, Sat 9th Oct Sept 2021 6pm-8pm
- Melbourne, MEL, Sun 10th Oct 2021 12pm-2pm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81612654736?p ... MrQ2FmQT09

Meeting ID: 816 1265 4736
Passcode: 724228

Sponsor

#834: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

The new v1.43 Decent tablet stand

In August, we started to make a new version of the Decent Espresso Machine, numbered v1.43. All our XL/XXL models are now in stock with this.

We still had about 200 machines of v1.42 DE1PRO to build, which is why this newer version wasn't immediately available in the DE1PRO model.

Yesterday, I change the "choose a model" page https://decentespresso.com/model to let you choose v1.42 or v1.43, and wrote up a page about the difference. The only change is the tablet stand, and this video shows how it works.

If you're indifferent to the tablet stand improvement improvement, you can save USD $100 by buying the v1.42 model now.

I've started taking pre-orders now for the DE1PRO v1.43, and they'll ship toward the end of November.

We've been working extra hard since July to build up stock of machines for the Christmas season. At the moment, we have stock of all Decent models.

The barrage of news about chip and parts shortages has spooked me, and we've been investing virtually all our profits into building up stock of parts. We're paying a premium, of course, but that's much better than risking "factory slowed down or closed", which surprisingly many companies are having to do.

-john

Sponsor

#835: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

mathof wrote:Is the result that all of the coffee is contained in the inside basket, or that some of it remains on the sloping sides? When I tried, the central well was too shallow to contain 7g of coffee, although ground very fine.
Usually, all the coffee is contained inside that little basket, yes. but I don't think there's a problem is any is on the sides too, as that tamper design above will tamp both the big and small baskets.

Decent Paul
Sponsor

#836: Post by Decent Paul »

When running through the last zoom some interesting questions were raised about the relationship between grind adjustments and flowrate. As a follow up suggestion from the last zoom we take a look how your adjustments effect the flowrate and why it is a essential variable to take note of.

This is a topic I often forget how much time I personally took honing in. With no data a lot was achieved by direct feedback from a knowledgeable people or by using my own sensory and sharing my shots to calibrate to different tastes.

As always feel free to join in and ask any curious questions you may have or if you like come on camera for some feedback.

Last weeks zoom is a bit delayed this week as we had a public holiday on Thursday and also a typhoon in Hong Kong, so apologies there and please bear with us.

Time of Zoom call:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ... =37&p5=136

- London, BST, UK - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 09:00-11.00
- Riyadh, AST - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 11:00-13.00
- Melbourne, AEDT, Australia - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 19:00-21.00
- Hong Kong HKT - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 16:00-18.00
- Berlin, CEST - Sat, 16th 2021 - 10.00-12.00

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86737590661?p ... ZPenZwQT09

Meeting ID: 867 3759 0661
Passcode: 797916

Sponsor

#837: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

A big hello and thank you to New York/Israel interior design studio Keren Niv Toledano https://www.instagram.com/kerennivtoledano/ for including our espresso machine in this home, and having it featured in a TV show which shows this house.

Aida Battle: Indigo Reserve from world renowned Finca Kilimanjaro in El Salvador
Sponsored by Aida Battle
Decent Paul
Sponsor

#838: Post by Decent Paul »

When running through the last zoom some interesting questions were raised about the relationship between grind adjustments and flowrate. As a follow up suggestion from the last zoom we take a look how your adjustments effect the flowrate and why it is a essential variable to take note of.

This is a topic i often forget how much time i personally took honing in. With no data a lot was achieved by direct feedback from knowledgeable people or using my own sensory and sharing my shots to calibrate to different tastes.

As always feel free to join in and ask any curious questions you may have or if you like come on camera for some feedback.

Last weeks zoom is a bit delayed this week as we had a public holiday on Thursday and also a typhoon in Hong Kong, so apologies there and please bear with us.

Time of Zoom call:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ... =37&p5=136

- London, BST, UK - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 09:00-11.00
- Riyadh, AST - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 11:00-13.00
- Melbourne, AEDT, Australia - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 19:00-21.00
- Hong Kong HKT - Sat, 16th Oct 2021 - 16:00-18.00
- Berlin, CEST - Sat, 16th 2021 - 10.00-12.00

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/86737590661?p ... ZPenZwQT09

Meeting ID: 867 3759 0661
Passcode: 797916

Sponsor

#839: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Preparing for the coming Supply Chain Apocalypse

Each day, I read yet another story about groceries stores with empty shelves, factories closing, high tech items unavailable. I don't think it's all "FUD", because our suppliers are giving us vague delivery estimates of "6 months to a year" for things that used to be 60 days. We bought the last 1000 Android tablets our supplier has, as they told me "we don't know when we're building more, as we don't have a firm delivery date from the chip vendor".

This is a bit worrisome. I don't know if this is a ploy to get people to stock-up-now, or if there's a genuine crisis. Or if the crisis is being caused by panic-induced hoarding.

We've always received "how long to wait after I pay?" messages, even though our website indicates "in stock" or the estimated wait times. But we're getting that question more often now.

I asked some of the people asking us this, if they'd see the "in stock" message on our website? The reply was "lots of websites say that: they take your order and then you find out later it isn't in stock and have to get a refund".

So, to battle the perception that "is it really, really in stock?", as of today we're putting our audited inventory levels on the website itself, on every item that we track.

Some low cost items (screws, gaskets) we don't keep counts of, but most everything else, we do. For bundles of items (and assemblies), the "in stock" number is the quantity of the low-question part needed to make that bundle.

And by "audited" I really mean it. The HK government sends an auditor here at least yearly (it's been every 6 months recently) and the inventory they find has to really closely manage our books, or we get fined.

We use Quickbooks Online here at Decent, and their programmer's API is really fantastic. I've written software to nightly import customers and invoices into. I then pulling the new stock levels from the books, which make their way back into the website via a static "JSON" file of our entire product catalog. Our product database is available publicly at https://decentespresso.com/js/data/decent_products.js in case anyone wants to write an app that uses it.

Everyone in manufacturing is saying that 2022 will be "challenging". To prepare for that, we're buying 18 months of parts, far more than the recommended 6 months. Prices are high now, but they're not insane. I've seen 60x increases at times on things that are really unavailable otherwise, and I'd like to avoid being in that position. We're looking at renting another warehouse to store the extra parts stock.

Hopefully, telling people exactly how many items we really have here, will help them believe that their purchase really will be shipped right away.

-john

ira
Supporter ♡

#840: Post by ira »

It's bad out there for some things. The processor I use is now at 52 week lead time, thankfully I have 18 months worth, but how am I supposed to know what my business will look like in 18 months? Prices for shipping are up 3 to 10 times what they were and just trying to find space on a container and get on a ship is becoming a challenge and if you have to go air, most all that's available is book rate express shipping instead of the 60% off the slow rates we got in the past. And now that China is having shortages of electricity who knows what will happen going forward.

And thanks for the reminder, I need to go check all my stocks.

Ira