Decent Espresso news - Page 83

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
Decent Paul
Sponsor

#821: Post by Decent Paul »

Me and DennisHew DennisHew take a break from coffee prep and take a closer look at the back story to how flow calibration came about, what is involved and how it can improve your shots in terms of consistency.

We will cover what you will need in terms of puck sims and why but also a method to calibrate without the puck sims using a profile and a scale.

We will catch up on a few things at the start before we settle into the topic. Specifically transport mode and demoing the prototype steamwand as a few have reached out about this week.

Of course we will squeeze in any questions that you may have or perhaps you would like feedback in regards to your flow calibration. We love the interaction and being part of your journey.

If you missed last weeks zoom it is linked below:

Summary
Whole Zoom

Time of Zoom call:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ... =37&p5=214

- London, UK, Sat 2nd Oct 2021 - 9am-11pm
- Berlin, DE, Sat 2nd Oct 2021 - 10am-12pm
- Riyadh, SA RUH, Sat 2nd Oct Sept 2021 11am-1pm
- Melbourne, MEL, Sat 2nd Oct 2021 6pm-8pm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81737662569?p ... htVEl6UT09

Meeting ID: 817 3766 2569
Passcode: 567638

wonderbread11

#822: Post by wonderbread11 »

Hey, I'm wondering if anyone could give me some input on steam time for the De1XL 110v. I guess I'm a little confused because there was an update that gave older machines the ability to steam faster. I think everywhere I've looked I'm seeing the OLD steam times.

I'm looking to use one of the de1s for a popup at a farmer's market. Mostly to showcase my beans. Where I live 12oz lattes are kind of the norm. Luckily I expect iced drinks to be much more popular but just in case id like to set the record straight on what exactly this machine can do.

How long does it take to steam 250ml of milk with the de1xl 110v at a flowrate of 0.8ml/s? And what about 1.4ml/s?

Thanks for the input!

sethde

#823: Post by sethde »

How long does it take to steam 250ml of milk with the de1xl 110v at a flowrate of 0.8ml/s? And what about 1.4ml/s?
About 50 seconds.

wonderbread11

#824: Post by wonderbread11 replying to sethde »

That seems quite long but I guess there are tradeoffs with this type of machine. Thanks for the reply.

sethde

#825: Post by sethde replying to wonderbread11 »

For home use, I don't care at all about the extra few seconds vs a commercial machine, LMLM, VAPE1, or whatever. My milk starts quite cold (around 38 F) and I steam to 145 F.

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#826: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

wonderbread11 wrote:That seems quite long but I guess there are tradeoffs with this type of machine. Thanks for the reply.
If you need to heat a lot of 12oz drinks (that's big) at a farmer's market, I'd recommend the DE1XXL model, and a 240V generator. That way you're totally mobile, and high power. You'll halve your steam time.

This is a nice model that does the job:
https://www.amazon.com/WEN-DF1100T-000- ... 07MMZZSHC/

Sponsor

#827: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Henry Hardy posted the message above on our owner's forum, and a few people added their emoticons to agree with it.

I wanted to share with you what happens here at Decent HQ when a machine comes in for repair. A whole bunch of people get involved, there's a lot of process and transparency. 1 to 2 day turnaround from arrival-to-shipping-back is typical. We've got a pretty well oiled repair machine here.

We're happy to share our internal repair conversation with anyone who has a machine repaired with us, if you're curious to see what was done.

This is a machine that came in for repair, from Dennis Brekke Dennis, who kindly also included a bag of roasted beans for us to try. Pictures from the 12 pages of internal workflow/conversation are on the bottom of the photo above.

-john

mathof

#828: Post by mathof »

I posted the following content in the Tips forum, but as no one has replied I thought I'd turn here for expert advice. I hope that is OK.

I usually make single shots with 7g Strada baskets; these have the customary well where the ground coffee goes. I use a Tidaka funnel and complementary tamper to fill the well and tamp it down. Today I tried a 7g Decent basket, which I had bought some time ago, but forgot about until I noticed it this morning. Using the funnel and tamper in the manner that I'm accustomed to for the Strada baskets resulted in a circular column of coffee standing mostly proud of the well. That didn't look promising, so I spread the coffee wider over the sloping sides that surround the well, but that made it very thin and resulted in a gusher. Does anyone know how to use these baskets?

Sponsor

#829: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to mathof »

My favorite way to use this style 7g basket is to use a small tamper that fits into the small inside basket.

We don't make that tamper (sorry!), though some other companies do.

We however offer a 3D file you can print yourself, that does the job well, and you can download it from here: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4771376

mathof

#830: Post by mathof »

Thanks very much. That 3D tamper looks like the right answer.