Decent Espresso news - Page 82

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#811: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Article: how Decent uses Basecamp

Basecamp CEO (and Decent owner) Jason Fried has written a nice article about how we use their software, with a focus on their most recently released "multiple tools" feature.

https://updates.basecamp.com/post/how-d ... iple-tools

Basecamp is deeply, deeply used here, down the the factory floor, repairs, and in our supply chain. Each machine gets its own Basecamp page, with test logs, videos, photos, problems and solutions, all tracked in that "machine file". Our main suppliers each have separate Basecamp projects with us, where we discuss our work with them.

Jason and I are planning a series of video "Basecamp master classes" that will go into greater depth on this.

-john

Sponsor

#812: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Video: The History of Espresso Machines (quickly summarized)

From the first espresso machines to today, the "recipe" for how they do their magic has been a combination of temperature, pressure, and water flow rate over time. In this video, we use the Decent to show you the "recipe inside the machine" from famous and important machines from espresso's past.

This is a deliberately simplified, whirlwind tour of the history of espresso machines, from my perspective. I show photos of important machines from history, that were typical of that stage.

My version of espresso's history is overwhelming about Lever machines, a brief E61 mention, pressure profilers like the Bianca and Rocket R9, and then Slayer, who were the first to suggest a radically different view on espresso extraction, finally addressing the different needs of light roasts.

Many thanks to Claudio and Simone of The Lever https://thelevermag.com/ magazine, who greatly aided me through lever machine history in the making of this video. I'm currently working with them on an article-length version of this historical view for their magazine, which I really wish were called "Be-Lever magazine".

-john

ThoughtsUnthought

#813: Post by ThoughtsUnthought »

I imagine this has been asked before, but I am not getting any easy answers while searching around...
What water do you recommend be used in the Decent espresso machine, John?
If we are to remineralize some RO or distilled water, and fill the tank with that I'd like to hear about your recommendation for mineral composition or brand of mineral packets you recommend. Also, I'm curious what you suggest for the means of remineralizing (im assuming this is necessary) if we are using the pressurized water Refill kit...? I am imagining hooking up an RO by the sink and feeding this into the Decent, but I'm confused what I would do to add minerals before it gets to the machine.

I'm new to the idea of being so strict with water usage in machines, I've always just used RO in the past in my mediocre machines. I am intending to get a white XL this month and need to work out the water logistics before i press the trigger, so i can ensure i'm taking care of the machine in the best way. Thanks

Decent Paul
Sponsor

#814: Post by Decent Paul »

Paul Chan and Dennis Hew take a break from coffee prep and take a closer look at the back story to how flow calibration came about, what is involved and how it can improve your shots in terms of consistency.

We will cover what you will need in terms of puck sims and why but also a method to calibrate without the puck sims using a profile and a scale.

We will catch up on a few things at the start before we settle into the topic. Specifically transport mode and demoing the prototype steamwand as a few have reached out about this week.

Of course we will squeeze in any questions that you may have or perhaps you would like feedback in regards to your flow calibration. We love the interaction and being part of your journey.

Time of Zoom call:
https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/ ... =37&p5=214

- London, UK, Sat 2nd Oct 2021 - 9am-11pm
- Berlin, DE, Sat 2nd Oct 2021 - 10am-12pm
- Riyadh, SA RUH, Sat 2nd Oct Sept 2021 11am-1pm
- Melbourne, MEL, Sat 2nd Oct 2021 6pm-8pm

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81737662569?p ... htVEl6UT09

Meeting ID: 817 3766 2569
Passcode: 567638

Sponsor

#815: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

A new way to make filter coffee: Filter 2.0 profile by Scott Rao

Scott Rao has today announced a new, automated way to make filter coffee, by using the Decent Espresso Machine:
https://www.scottrao.com/blog/2021/9/28 ... ffee-shots

This new profile is now in the nightly de1app, or you can download it and put it on your Android tablet via USB, in the /sdcard/de1plus/profiles/ directory.

The profile is described like this in the de1app:
"A new technique developed by Scott Rao, for making filter coffee with an espresso machine and 24g basket. The process: (1) insert two micron 55mm paper filter into the bottom of a clean portafilter basket. (2) Rinser the filter and basket with hot water. (3) Fill the basket with 20g to 22g of finely ground coffee, not quite espresso grind, but far finer than any filter grind. (4) WDT the grounds. (5) tamping is optional. (6) Place a metal mesh filter on top. (7) Lock in the portafilter and make the espresso to a 5:1 ratio. (8) Dilute with 225g-250g of water."

On the phone with me today, Scott described this as "the only automated filter coffee approach he's willing to drink" and a "9 out of 10".

You'll need a 24g basket, a mesh screen (such as bplus https://www.bplus.biz/products/lower-sh ... uck-screen or Flair 58 https://flairespresso.com/product/flair-58-puck-screen/)

This new coffee making approach is fairly straightforward on a Decent, but you can also make it with a manual lever machine, such as the Flair, if you use a bluetooth scale and an app to track the flow rate for the extraction phase. Both Acaia Scales and Decent Scales https://decentespresso.com/scale will work for tracking flow rate, and maybe other scales too. If you don't track the flow rate at the end, Scott tells me that a too-fast flow rate will likely result, and the result is very unpleasant. A 3ml/s extraction really is needed.

Looking forward to hearing from your results with this.

-john

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#816: Post by Brewzologist »

John; Will definitely play with this. From Scott's blog it appears he is using the pour-over basket, but he doesn't specify this in the post; just a 24g basket. Is there any recommendation here? Also would be good to know which 55mm papers he is using too?

rac10000

#817: Post by rac10000 »

ThoughtsUnthought wrote:I imagine this has been asked before, but I am not getting any easy answers while searching around...
What water do you recommend be used in the Decent espresso machine, John?
If we are to remineralize some RO or distilled water, and fill the tank with that I'd like to hear about your recommendation for mineral composition or brand of mineral packets you recommend. Also, I'm curious what you suggest for the means of remineralizing (im assuming this is necessary) if we are using the pressurized water Refill kit...? I am imagining hooking up an RO by the sink and feeding this into the Decent, but I'm confused what I would do to add minerals before it gets to the machine.

I'm new to the idea of being so strict with water usage in machines, I've always just used RO in the past in my mediocre machines. I am intending to get a white XL this month and need to work out the water logistics before i press the trigger, so i can ensure i'm taking care of the machine in the best way. Thanks
I would like to echo this question. I was searching around as well and couldn't find anything conclusive. Thanks!

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#818: Post by Pressino »

Just an observation...I see that there has been a recent uptick in folks posting DE machines on the Buy/Sell forum.

Brewzologist
Supporter ♡

#819: Post by Brewzologist »

Pressino wrote:Just an observation...I see that there has been a recent uptick in folks posting DE machines on the Buy/Sell forum.

What is the point of posting this observation? :?

Pressino
Supporter ♡

#820: Post by Pressino »

People may want to get a deal on them. :)