Decent Espresso news - Page 74

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
ScottinTexas

#731: Post by ScottinTexas »

Thanks for the explanation. Good to know it all. What do you mean Countersink as I'm not familiar with it, but I prefer taking precautions as well, esp. with possible water leaks. My line currently in use and connected direct to my La Spaz is a t-valve off a refrigerator water line so relatively low pressure. I've experience no issues. I'm going with the direct plumb for convenience of no refills. I can hide the regulator in my pantry as the water line runs through there next to my espresso counter. You've been great to answer all my questions John.

Scott

PS I'm pretty sure I've got another espresso aficionado friend of mine (also from TX) to buy one of your machines in the near future.

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#732: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

ScottinTexas wrote:Thanks for the explanation. Good to know it all. What do you mean Countersink as I'm not familiar with it, but I prefer taking precautions as well, esp. with possible water leaks. My line currently in use and connected direct to my La Spaz is a t-valve off a refrigerator water line so relatively low pressure. I've experience no issues. I'm going with the direct plumb for convenience of no refills. I can hide the regulator in my pantry as the water line runs through there next to my espresso counter. You've been great to answer all my questions John.
I think this'll clarify what the countersink option is:
Lots of cafes and coffee carts go for that option:

Advertisement
Sponsor

#733: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

In the spirit (har har) of the Star Trek Drinking Game https://tinyurl.com/trekdrinking I give you ...

The Decent Espresso Drinking Game

take a small sip if:
- you see a post in social media that says "decent is the Tesla of espresso"
- you see a post in social media that says "john is the Steve Jobs/Elon Musk of espresso"
- you see a photo of the Decent and Niche in the same photo
- the model you want is currently out of stock
- someone asks "what's the price?"
- someone asks "when is it shipping?"
- someone asks "can it steam and brew at the same time?"
- someone asks "where can I buy it?"
- someone asks "is there an ipad app?"

drink a shot if:
- you posted to Instagram a photo of a latte sitting on the group head
- you've read Ars Technica on your Decent tablet
- your DE1 legs were bent in transit and Decent sent you a replacement
- - you see a comment that says "I've been making blooming shots on my ...."
- take a shot for each hour (on average) you're on Diaspora daily
- you've made espresso extractions above 23%, two shots if 25%, and 3 shots if 27%.
- you use the beta version of the DE1 app
- you've bought sku code 888 https://decentespresso.com/c?filter=888

drink two shots if:
- an app update has more than 100 files to download
- you serial number is under 100 and your machine has never had a problem
- you use the nightly version of the DE1 app
- you have a 2nd machine at your summer house
- you 3D printed yourself an accessory
- you're on a first name basis with Sheldon, Luca, Johanna, or Enrique.
- you built your own coffee cart

drink three shots if:
- you see a comment that says "I can do that with my E61"
- you have a 3rd machine on your yacht
- you're making and selling accessories to others
- you've started roasting and selling your beans to other DE1 owners
- you cut a hole in your marble countertop to put your Decent into
- you've modified your van or mobile home to permanently have a Decent in it
- you own three or more coffee grinders

finish the bottle if:
- you wrote a twitter-bot to post every time you make an espresso
- you've written your own app, skin or extension
- you're on the super-secret beta hardware group
- you've been the recipient of SKU code 889 https://decentespresso.com/cart?filter=889
- you've repainted your entire machine to some custom color
- you've written a web spider to calculate exactly when your machine will be ready
- you've hacked the Decent website to try and purchase items that should only be available to Decent admins

Please add to the fun, and suggest your own rules!

ScottinTexas

#734: Post by ScottinTexas »

Ah, countersunk! I thought you were speaking of a third party product to put in the line that helps prevent leaks. I get it now. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to customize my espresso countertop in our kitchen. I wish, it looks great. Thanks again for all the info John.

GDK

#735: Post by GDK »

To cut out an usually expensive countertop, one's commitment to DE1 would have to be phenomenal :D . I have seen pictures of a few doing it but I would bet on a single digit percentage. Similar number of people will find space to fit an 18L bottle next to the machine and conceal it well. Yeah, I can put it in the basement but still, not a simple/convenient solution.

I wonder if one can use the DE1 interface to sense the tank-empty condition. I have a custom solution that fills my current machine tank with preprogrammed quantity of water upon voice command but I could make it trigger on other signals. If a custom solution can be fitted, you can use quality elements to your liking.

ScottinTexas

#736: Post by ScottinTexas »

Agreed, I think most are countersinking into a cart, like from IKEA. If you have a spot in your kitchen for this, great. Sadly, I do not.

JamesAKirk

#737: Post by JamesAKirk »

Please forgive me if there is a more appropriate place to ask this question, but what is the minimum installation spacing above the DE1+? I see in the dimentions sheet (https://decentespresso.com/img/DE1PROV14.pdf) that all of the horizontal clearances are defined, but not vertical. My cabinets are 330mm above the counter. The DE1+ is 321mm with the tablet removed.

Would there be any issues (thermal or otherwise) with this installation? Thanks!

John,
I just noticed the line in you initial post "prefer to leave the forum conversations remain among enthusiasts, and keep commercial conversations over here."

Sorry to muddle the waters. In retrospect, there would obviously be thermal issues with the the cabinetry, if not the machine. If I'm honest with myself, I was trying to use my tiny city kitchen as an excuse to go all out and buy my "dream" machine. Someday, I hope. I would retract my question by deleting this post, but it seems that is not possible.

Regards.

Advertisement
Sponsor

#738: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

JamesAKirk wrote: what is the minimum installation spacing above the DE1+? I see in the dimentions sheet (https://decentespresso.com/img/DE1PROV14.pdf) that all of the horizontal clearances are defined, but not vertical. My cabinets are 330mm above the counter. The DE1+ is 321mm with the tablet removed.[/s]Regards.
You can remove the tablet, and put it on the side of the DE1, and have your cabinets go right to the top edge of the DE1. There's no additional clearance required.You'll need~32cm of height.

GDK

#739: Post by GDK »

John, with the new tablet mount mechanism where base goes under the top plate (not on top), wouldn't the overall height of the machine be slightly smaller?

Sponsor

#740: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) replying to GDK »

True, you probably lose about 4mm in total height with the new tablet stand.