Decent Espresso news - Page 73

Read about current and future offerings from the site sponsors.
larsenpedersen

#721: Post by larsenpedersen »

Hi John,

I've been talking to your customer service, as I would like to order a DE1XXL 220V Black 1.43 - The customer service worker wrote me 15 minutes ago that the platform (1.43) is still being developed, and has indicated that it is not close to release.

This confuses me a bit, as you have previously said that you would start to build DE1XXL 220V Black 1.43 this week - and recently mentioned that they will be available in 2 weeks. It even seems from https://tinyurl.com/decentinstock that DE1XXL 220V Black (I expect it is 1.42) is currently out of stock, so I would expect that if I ordered now, I would get 1.43 (based on your most recent posts).

Could you please help clarify this, as I'm a bit confused when to order, if I would like the 1.43-version? :)

No hard feeling, I'm just trying to figure out when to order :)

decent_espresso (original poster)
Sponsor

#722: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

New Silicone Material for Steam Wand Sleeves

We've received samples of the new silicone material, with different hardness ratings for us to test and dcide on. We're going with 70A hardness, and ordering mass quantity now.

I REALLY REALLY like the way this new material reflects light.

Which looks much nicer to than the current silicone we use.

We'll be happy to send a replacement part made with the new rubber, for free, with any other purchase from us.

I don't know when they'll arrive, but I'll post about it here when they do.

-john

Advertisement
Sponsor

#723: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

ScottinTexas wrote:John - is the recent Zoom call going to be posted on YouTube?
Here is the full Zoom recording of last week's: "Latte Art (Basic Tulip & Wiggling practices)" with author Dennis Hew and Paul Chan

Sponsor

#724: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Next Zoom: this Saturday evening (USA)/ Sunday morning (Asia)

Decent Espresso Pour Overs : V60 and Kalita and the DE1 pourover basket, with Decent's Paul Chan

You might want to watch Scott Rao's video beforehand:
---

Time of Zoom call:
- San Francisco, CA, USA - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 - 18:00
- New York, NY, USA - Sat, 31 Jul 2021 - 21:00
- Melbourne, Australia - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 - 11:00
- Hong Kong Time - Sun, 1 Aug 2021 - 09:00

Join Zoom Meeting
https://us02web.zoom.us/j/81986335307?p ... 15Q1kxZz09

Meeting ID: 819 8633 5307
Passcode: 132763

Sponsor

#725: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

Auctor wrote:In one of your videos, you mentioned that you'll likely move the Decent to a rotary pump down the road. When you were studying the different options, were gear pumps in your option set, and if so, why choose rotary over gear?
I definitely didn't say that :D -- I said the opposite.

Rotary pumps have their many advantages, but latency is not one of them. Vibe pumps respond instantly to a single AC pulse.

We have 0.3ºC temperature accuracy, thanks to our water mixing approach. One path is 110ºC, the other is room temperature, and we mix them at the last minute. For that to work, we need super-accurate flow, and very, very fast response times.

A bit more about that here:
Auctor wrote:The reason I ask is because I'm not a huge fan of the combination of rotary pumps and E61 flow control, but I wonder if your mechanism to control flow and pressure is markedly different, thus making a comparison moot?
Our flow control is by directly controlling how much water the pumps put out.

We do not use variable constriction, which is a common E61 approach.

-john

Auctor

#726: Post by Auctor »

decent_espresso wrote:I definitely didn't say that :D -- I said the opposite.
My bad, you're right. I was watching this video and you discussed rotary pumps right before the moment you discussed the new pump scheduled for next year, and I conflated the two thoughts.

Appreciate the insights John!

ScottinTexas

#727: Post by ScottinTexas »

What's the status of using the Meater thermometer in your pitchers? Is your software ready for it? Is there a difference bn the 33' ($69) and 165' ($99) Meaters as affects use with a Decent machine? I guess if you're going to need a longer distance for cooking meats outside on the grill, it might be better to get the 165' model, but no effect on use with Decent? What have you discovered with your practice with one vs the Decent thermometer?

Thanks,
Scott

Advertisement
Sponsor

#728: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

ScottinTexas wrote:What's the status of using the Meater thermometer in your pitchers? Is your software ready for it? Is there a difference bn the 33' ($69) and 165' ($99) Meaters as affects use with a Decent machine? I guess if you're going to need a longer distance for cooking meats outside on the grill, it might be better to get the 165' model, but no effect on use with Decent? What have you discovered with your practice with one vs the Decent thermometer?
The Meater support was programmed and working, a few months ago.

It was then removed, because Bluetooth on Android couldn't keep up with a DE1, a Acaia, and a Meater, all at once. We wanted to see if we could improve this, but haven't had the time, and it's not clear we can. And... some Acaia are particularly bluetooth intensive (more than the Decent Scale or Atomax Skale, because they require constant and frequent keep-alive pings)

However, I don't use a bluetooth scale day-to-day, as the Volumetric stop works well for me, typically within 1g.

So, Meater support is coming back to the app, and will be in the Nightly version for a while. I expect that it'll work well as long as you don't use a bluetooth scale as well.

As to the difference between the models: I had horrible sync problems with my previous-model Meater, from a years ago, using it for cooking. They seem to have resolved that with the newer models. So personally, I'd pay more to get the latest & best models, to avoid frustration.

-john

ScottinTexas

#729: Post by ScottinTexas »

I am curious about the plumbing connections. Have you seen any disconnect over time with the hose connecting to the back of the Decent? Not sure what that graduated/angle-ribbed design is called by it's a simple pressure fit. Do you recommend a zip tie on top of it to prevent it from slipping off (although I suspect it's a tight fit at the beginning). I'm surprised it's not a regular threaded female on the back of the Decent or fitted with a short stainless metal-sheathed tube for substantial water connection. I notice one of the fittings on the direct plumb unit is the same, whereas the larger input line is threaded. I'm used to my La Spaziale machines and they are all fitted with the braided metal-sheathed tubing, which is substantial, and I have never worried about it coming loose or leaking. Just curious, and I know you appreciate input and discussion as you seek to fine-tune and make the Decent the best product it can be!

You've also mentioned the noise/sound the vibratory pumps make. I agree with you. This said, have you experimented with some type of insulation or material to dampen the sound in the small area where the pumps are located? Sounds like the switch next year to the new pump mfr will help with the general sound and perhaps the db's.

Finally, it looks like your internal plumbing connectors are kind of a poor man's John Guest. Do you like the JG fittings in general (they're what I use, so curious)?

Scott

Sponsor

#730: Post by decent_espresso (original poster) »

ScottinTexas wrote:I am curious about the plumbing connections. Have you seen any disconnect over time with the hose connecting to the back of the Decent? Not sure what that graduated/angle-ribbed design is called by it's a simple pressure fit. Do you recommend a zip tie on top of it to prevent it from slipping off (although I suspect it's a tight fit at the beginning). I'm surprised it's not a regular threaded female on the back of the Decent or fitted with a short stainless metal-sheathed tube for substantial water connection. I notice one of the fittings on the direct plumb unit is the same, whereas the larger input line is threaded. I'm used to my La Spaziale machines and they are all fitted with the braided metal-sheathed tubing, which is substantial, and I have never worried about it coming loose or leaking. Just curious, and I know you appreciate input and discussion as you seek to fine-tune and make the Decent the best product it can be!
I've never seen a leak issue with those barb fittings (out of the refill kit, and into the back of the DE1) as there's no obstruction to cause pressure, that would make it come loose. They're on pretty tight, and we custom make those ourselves (not off the shelf) and make them from metal (not plastic) to ensure we're happy with them.

That water goes directly to the water tank:

However, water coming into the the Plumbing Kit *is* a screw-locking type, as that water is under pressure, and thus a potential source of leaks.

ScottinTexas wrote:You've also mentioned the noise/sound the vibratory pumps make. I agree with you. This said, have you experimented with some type of insulation or material to dampen the sound in the small area where the pumps are located? Sounds like the switch next year to the new pump mfr will help with the general sound and perhaps the db's.
ScottinTexas wrote:Finally, it looks like your internal plumbing connectors are kind of a poor man's John Guest. Do you like the JG fittings in general (they're what I use, so curious)?
We're very much a global company, and JG are expensive and not used that much in other countries. We prefer to go with Metric, and standard (non proprietary).

Note that if you're going to plumb your DE1 with pressurized water, I strongly recommend the Countersink, so that any leak that could happen in the machine, is caught and flushed safely away. We use quite expensive ODE valves in the plumbing kit (massive level of EU compliance rules for plumbed devices), but they have been known to fail (at 3 client sites, so far) when pressure is too high. We do our best to avoid leaks, but I nonetheless prefer to plan for failure.

Or... use the "catering kit" to plumb in, which uses a pump to suck water out of a container, and then your leak risk is massively reduced.

-john